Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

no that was higgins. i meant top 5 attackmen, not top 5 overall. but i dont know where things stand now, that was info from a few weeks ago

ortlieb is my favorite player in the class. i think hes going to be better than millon. depends on the situation he enters of course but all things being equal id put money on him having the best college career
Where you hearing for Ortlieb?

Looks like IL updated the way they calculate recruiting rankings. The previous way they did it was super misleading, as it just counted stars and nothing else. If you had two 5 stars and three 3 star recruits, it was essentially the same. Not totally sure I understand the new methodology, but it's an improvement.

Syracuse is ranked 11th currently. Looks to line up with past years, as they were 10th for the 2023 class and 10th for the 2024s. I'd say Syracuse is probably half way done with their class at this point, as they had 11 players the past two years (they are at five right now).

Interesting that Hopkins losses out on two brothers of current players (other is Sawyer English). Chuck Rawson is current freshman in the team.

Where you hearing for Ortlieb?
no clue but he can prob name his school. might be waiting to see where millon lands. assuming millon goes to uva or nd, i could see ortlieb at duke, princeton, hopkins, maryland, yale, maybc unc. so that doesnt really narrow it down lolol

no clue but he can prob name his school. might be waiting to see where millon lands. assuming millon goes to uva or nd, i could see ortlieb at duke, princeton, hopkins, maryland, yale, maybc unc. so that doesnt really narrow it down lolol
Why not PSU or Penn?

Why not PSU or Penn?
penn maybe although they did just get maher and id be shocked if they get two top 5 players. penn state i doubt, ortlieb is looking for a high academic school. georgetown could be involved too i dont really know

The ND lacrosse team was featured heavily on the Pat McAafee show last weekend when College Gameday was in town for the Ohio State game. I think they even got him to wear a lacrosse jersey for part of the segment. I'm sure stuff like that doesn't hurt recruiting, and may be why even more kids are verballing there this week. Sheesh, eight top 50 recruits and two additional four stars. They already have three attackmen in the top 50, hopefully that means they are done with that positional group? At some point this has to slow down ... right?

The ND lacrosse team was featured heavily on the Pat McAafee show last weekend when College Gameday was in town for the Ohio State game. I think they even got him to wear a lacrosse jersey for part of the segment. I'm sure stuff like that doesn't hurt recruiting, and may be why even more kids are verballing there this week. Sheesh, eight top 50 recruits and two additional four stars. They already have three attackmen in the top 50, hopefully that means they are done with that positional group? At some point this has to slow down ... right?
Feel as someone else indicated it’s very early and these kids can change their mind. It seems with recruits it’s what have you done lately. SU been down the last several years. ND won the title last year.
Portal is the new twist. These players go, get down on their playing time and leave.
After 2025 no more Covid extra year so that will also have an impact.
Feel SU will continue to hit the portal more over the next couple of years.
Win and more players will commit or flip.

Feel as someone else indicated it’s very early and these kids can change their mind. It seems with recruits it’s what have you done lately. SU been down the last several years. ND won the title last year.
Portal is the new twist. These players go, get down on their playing time and leave.
After 2025 no more Covid extra year so that will also have an impact.
Feel SU will continue to hit the portal more over the next couple of years.
Win and more players will commit or flip.
this sounds like the rutgers strategy and it's not a sustainable longterm solution once covid eligibility expires. the portal was still be a thing but not to the extent it's been. are any of cuse's transfers this year undergrads? are any of the impact transfers unrelated to covid?

bottom line...traditional recruiting has to get better to compete for final fours. the good news is...winning cures all ills. if they live up to expectations this year they'll be right back in the thick of things

nd's class this year is ridiculous and prob wont be repeated again any time soon. its the result of a confluence of things including the title, kavanaghs, espn exposure, and this class just happening to have a bunch of kids with nd connections like mullahy.

they already have 11 guys, prob just about done now. the issue is uva is still lurking. they are not close to being done

On the other hand, UVa only has 5 recruits. While UVa has loaded up on top attackmen over the previous 2 classes, they haven't done that well at midfield. One has to feed that UVa is really after Merrill and Raio, not to mention the younger Millon.

this sounds like the rutgers strategy and it's not a sustainable longterm solution once covid eligibility expires. the portal was still be a thing but not to the extent it's been. are any of cuse's transfers this year undergrads? are any of the impact transfers unrelated to covid?

bottom line...traditional recruiting has to get better to compete for final fours. the good news is...winning cures all ills. if they live up to expectations this year they'll be right back in the thick of things

nd's class this year is ridiculous and prob wont be repeated again any time soon. its the result of a confluence of things including the title, kavanaghs, espn exposure, and this class just happening to have a bunch of kids with nd connections like mullahy.

they already have 11 guys, prob just about done now. the issue is uva is still lurking. they are not close to being done
Agreed. This is not football - these kids make decisions largely focused on education so I don't think anyone should expect a lot of kids leaving somewhere after a year because they aren't playing. Plus pulling in a lot of transfers may actually hurt recruiting as players feel like they will just get replaced after a couple years of working within a program.

I do think the grad transfers from D2/3 who want to take a shot at D1 will continue. But also just not a replacement for good recruiting and development.

I don't want to live season to season hoping transfers pick us over another team. This year was a good one, and I am excited about each player coming in, but long term it's a tricky proposition. SU has always done pretty well with transfers and I expect they'll continue to take a few each year. But a Sam English or Jake Stevens or Matt Wright isn't going to fall into our laps every season. They should be used to supplement a good team, but not as the building blocks. I think a big reason why so many good players came in this year as transfers was because SU has good building blocks with the sophomore class.

Next year is the big one for SU in terms of recruiting, as wild as it to think the sophomore class will be gone by the time that group makes it to campus. I assume lots of scholarship money will open up and of course lots of starting positions. Not giving up on this class at all, just felt like it needed pointing out.

While I am sure time will ultimately tell, and I know COVID has an impact, I do not completely agree that transfers will not remain an important recruiting piece moving forward. The culture around these high end recruits consists of traveling and bouncing from school to school, club to club, until the right "fit" is found.

While I doubt we will ever see a transfer haul again like to the 2023 group, I dont think its hard to envision the Program adding 3-5 transfers per year, graduate or otherwise, to fortify the team.

In the end though, I'd much prefer that Syracuse just kill it with respect to "high school" recruiting.

The 23 class is pretty darn good. The 24 class is pretty darn good. Add 2-3 solid names (which we are more than capable of doing in the coming weeks) and the 25 class will be pretty darn good too. We have another 5 star offensive talent and Filardi should be as quality as any of our defensive recruits in the 23 and 24 classes. We are building the foundation where we will not need to hammer the portal like we did this off-season in future years.

No sugar coating that it is a step down from our ACC foes, but we have the talent on the roster to compete with them this year on the field. Next year too. Win and we have an opportunity to take that next step in recruiting. With the talent coming in the next three years and the 22 class getting older, we should need nothing but small additions from the portal. Small but big impact ideally. These portal additions the past two seasons are still essentially making up for some of those dismal flipocalypse era Desko recruiting classes before the 2022 haul.

If we were to only land Raio from the top recruits left I’d still be happy with that given our current lack of NCAA tournament runs. I think we need to stay realistic and also understand we could flip guys later on if We get back into the fold. Let’s make a deep run and land a great 26 class. I’m high on some key contributions that could potentially come from the 24 class as well.

Payton should make a huge impact instantly, we can’t forget Bucktooth Jr who reclassed & will have a PG year under his belt against better competition, and I think Kolby White is being underrated by those who do the rankings (he is sooo shifty). McIntee seems to be big bodied and also uses the pick game.

Just to point out the obvious, recruiting only goes so far (UNC cough cough), and once they’re on campus coaching counts for more. I think we have a fantastic staff who will get the most out of these kids and can even elevate some 3 stars into more than what they’re rated at during the recruiting cycles.

Last edited: