Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

Cuse4Life

Walk On
What are the most important positions this year? I think we need to continue to get both lines sured up and then work outwards to the skill positions. This team is going to win in the trenches and then the rest will fall into place.

What are the most important positions this year? I think we need to continue to get both lines sured up and then work outwards to the skill positions. This team is going to win in the trenches and then the rest will fall into place.

OL and DL

I am very worried about the QB position I still don't think SU has that "it" Kid enrolled yet. I mean should it really be that hard to beat out Nassib if your a legit QB? I know your going to say he has the years in the system but if your truly special it wouldn't be a problem.

I am very worried about the QB position I still don't think SU has that "it" Kid enrolled yet. I mean should it really be that hard to beat out Nassib if your a legit QB? I know your going to say he has the years in the system but if your truly special it wouldn't be a problem.

How did Vinny do in Tampa on a bad team? We are just Starting to get Linemen both OL and DL then things will happen.

How did Vinny do in Tampa on a bad team? We are just Starting to get Linemen both OL and DL then things will happen.
WHo the heck is Vinny in Tampa? Are you talking about old man Vinny? If so you went way back in time to pull that out as a example. IMO I just don't believe Nassib is that good. I think he is solid and can get you to a 6-5 record but not lead you to a conference title.

WHo the heck is Vinny in Tampa? Are you talking about old man Vinny? If so you went way back in time to pull that out as a example. IMO I just don't believe Nassib is that good. I think he is solid and can get you to a 6-5 record but not lead you to a conference title.
He got us an 8-5 record and a bowl win...anything short of Cam Newton would not get us a conference title this year. Nassib is an above average QB, not some crappy walk on that turned into a starter last year because no one else could play the position.

He got us an 8-5 record and a bowl win...anything short of Cam Newton would not get us a conference title this year. Nassib is an above average QB, not some crappy walk on that turned into a starter last year because no one else could play the position.
I love how you left out this years record lets not to to carried away with him

I love how you left out this years record lets not to to carried away with him
So the entire season was his fault? The line and receivers are all going to get drafted and paid millions for their superstar talent? I would love to see how well you would play with half a line and two viable receivers and no running game. Not to mention special teams, and the collapse of the defense, but yeah, I guess it was all Nassib's fault. He only set multiple school records

So the entire season was his fault? The line and receivers are all going to get drafted and paid millions for their superstar talent? I would love to see how well you would play with half a line and two viable receivers and no running game. Not to mention special teams, and the collapse of the defense, but yeah, I guess it was all Nassib's fault. He only set multiple school records
It's not hard to set passing records when we ran option for over two decades at SU. Not saying it's all his fault but he is not nearly as good of a QB as people give him credit for on this board. Just for giggles name the best 5 QB's in your opinion in the Big East last year. As far as no running game we did have a 1,000 yard back two years ina row.

It's not hard to set passing records when we ran option for over two decades at SU. Not saying it's all his fault but he is not nearly as good of a QB as people give him credit for on this board. Just for giggles name the best 5 QB's in your opinion in the Big East last year. As far as no running game we did have a 1,000 yard back two years ina row.
Last year's running game was not nearly as productive as with DC. AB got the majority of his yards on big gains and the rest was for 1-3 yards. Bridgewater, Nassib, and Daniels are the only three QBs left that could even be mentioned. So, that places Nassib as the number two QB in the conference behind Bridgewater.

Last year's running game was not nearly as productive as with DC. AB got the majority of his yards on big gains and the rest was for 1-3 yards. Bridgewater, Nassib, and Daniels are the only three QBs left that could even be mentioned. So, that places Nassib as the number two QB in the conference behind Bridgewater.
That's not the point you said we had no running game that was incorrect. A 1,000 yard rusher is still a 1,000 yard rusher no matter how you spin it. Any coach would be happy about that. If you were to blame play calling on offense now I could understand that when defending Nassib.

The stage is set, no longer are Universities sitting around waiting to put up a carrott to get someone to committ. Where don't we have a need? Pick your poison....ILB for sure, RB, WR, DT, OT, CB, OLB, FB, yes QB...TE later, where do you start? Point is we better get started, don't you think?

The stage is set, no longer are Universities sitting around waiting to put up a carrott to get someone to committ. Where don't we have a need? Pick your poison....ILB for sure, RB, WR, DT, OT, CB, OLB, FB, yes QB...TE later, where do you start? Point is we better get started, don't you think?
Sure we need help -- you do realize we have sprinkled a lot of offers across all areas of need?
Historically, the Big 10 and SEC tend to land several hot shots early, while we don't get nibbles until June and July. At least that was true last year, with the exception of the carry-over Milford guys, one legacy lineman, and Omari Palmer. Then, the action started in June.

So let's just get a random kid from anywhere to commit, right? Come on man, we're recruiting high level prospects that aren't going to announce for a while. We aren't Michigan. I'd rather have kids commit with a high offer sheet in August than a kid with no offers commit now.

That's not the point you said we had no running game that was incorrect. A 1,000 yard rusher is still a 1,000 yard rusher no matter how you spin it. Any coach would be happy about that. If you were to blame play calling on offense now I could understand that when defending Nassib.
Relative to many D I teams we did not have much of a running game. Yes, play calling didn't help, but there is not an all encompassing reason we had a down year. The season went to heck and a hand basket in every facet of the game. There was zero unison on either of the lines let alone the offense and the defense. People focus too much on the negatives with Nassib the same way they do with Mackey and Lemon. Oh Mackey's too small and has no talent...really? He wasn't an issue. Lemon isn't a game breaker and doesn't have NFL talent...again seriously? Lemon has a better combination of speed, hands, and vision than most of the receivers out there right now. Nassib sucks and can't connect on the deep ball...well maybe the line didn't block and the timing was messed up, maybe the receiver didn't run a good route. There have been plenty of instances in which he has proven that he has what it takes to be a good QB.

Relative to many D I teams we did not have much of a running game. Yes, play calling didn't help, but there is not an all encompassing reason we had a down year. The season went to heck and a hand basket in every facet of the game. There was zero unison on either of the lines let alone the offense and the defense. People focus too much on the negatives with Nassib the same way they do with Mackey and Lemon. Oh Mackey's too small and has no talent...really? He wasn't an issue. Lemon isn't a game breaker and doesn't have NFL talent...again seriously? Lemon has a better combination of speed, hands, and vision than most of the receivers out there right now. Nassib sucks and can't connect on the deep ball...well maybe the line didn't block and the timing was messed up, maybe the receiver didn't run a good route. There have been plenty of instances in which he has proven that he has what it takes to be a good QB.

Really like missing deep ball after deep ball. You still go to that weak excuse as we had no running game, you can't use that when you have a 1,000 yard back unless you are someone who just doesn't understand the game of football. As far as Mackey went he wasn't that good either he shouldn't start over Trudo next year in all honesty. Just wait and see and I will be here to tell you I told you so

Really like missing deep ball after deep ball. You still go to that weak excuse as we had no running game, you can't use that when you have a 1,000 yard back unless you are someone who just doesn't understand the game of football. As far as Mackey went he wasn't that good either he shouldn't start over Trudo next year in all honesty. Just wait and see and I will be here to tell you I told you so
Or I'll be the one telling you I told you so.

So let's just get a random kid from anywhere to commit, right? Come on man, we're recruiting high level prospects that aren't going to announce for a while. We aren't Michigan. I'd rather have kids commit with a high offer sheet in August than a kid with no offers commit now.
Have you looked at what offers we have out there and against who? I agree, it is early, but that is the trend, big schools have sat back and waited, that is not true anymore. At least last year at this time we had some strong candidates that had us as a strong contender. This year we have but two of our offerd potential recruits that rank us as high on their interest list, comparred to last year when we had 9 rank us high with an additional 6 rank as as medium-high. We eneded up bagging 11 of these recruits. This is the time you try to bag a big bear, a trophy, to spearhead your recruitment year. All the schools of the BE have alraedy bagged a yop 150, with the exception of UCONN and USF who at least have committed players. No, we instead have closed off practices and the spring game, then reluctantly opened it again. Can't say we are in the same place as we were last year, so don't expect a very active June/July like last year, unless they pick up their game now. It isn't in the numbers guys, unless things change dramatically after the Spring game, this has all the makings of a return to the GR Era of recruiting, with what could be a very tuff year on the field. I am just saying we need a kick in arss player to change the tone, excite the fans, and give the program something to build on. Alvin Kamara comes to mind as that type of player. We were high on his list and since have gone down to medium. Go get him.

Have you looked at what offers we have out there and against who? I agree, it is early, but that is the trend, big schools have sat back and waited, that is not true anymore. At least last year at this time we had some strong candidates that had us as a strong contender. This year we have but two of our offerd potential recruits that rank us as high on their interest list, comparred to last year when we had 9 rank us high with an additional 6 rank as as medium-high. We eneded up bagging 11 of these recruits. This is the time you try to bag a big bear, a trophy, to spearhead your recruitment year. All the schools of the BE have alraedy bagged a yop 150, with the exception of UCONN and USF who at least have committed players. No, we instead have closed off practices and the spring game, then reluctantly opened it again. Can't say we are in the same place as we were last year, so don't expect a very active June/July like last year, unless they pick up their game now. It isn't in the numbers guys, unless things change dramatically after the Spring game, this has all the makings of a return to the GR Era of recruiting, with what could be a very tuff year on the field. I am just saying we need a kick in arss player to change the tone, excite the fans, and give the program something to build on. Alvin Kamara comes to mind as that type of player. We were high on his list and since have gone down to medium. Go get him.
Alvin Kamara is not going to commit until signing day. You can't force these things. We're high on Kamara's list. What difference would it make if he committed now or committed on signing day?

These are what the marquee programs do...they get kids to see the other side by committing early. Sure, they flip flop from time to time, but what they bring to the table is stability in recruiting instead of anxiety. Again, Kamara is an example, not necessarily the guy you have to get, but you can't tell me that having this guy on the board, or someone like him, doesn't make a difference? When you go out and recruit, you tell the next kid, we have player X on the board, how would you like to line up with him, etc, etc.

Again, if we are going to be a Rutgers, or Temple, that is fine the way things are happening. But that is not what I want for SU football. You have to start acting like the big boys and playing like it if we want a contending program, or am I missing something here?

when you read this sing it in a country tune in your mind

if it werent for excuses- they would have no talk at all-
no gloom dispare or agony on me-

if marrone hasnt built good enough in roads for recruiting after year 4- when the hell will he?

when you read this sing it in a country tune in your mind

if it werent for excuses- they would have no talk at all-
no gloom dispare or agony on me-

if marrone hasnt built good enough in roads for recruiting after year 4- when the hell will he?
Are you kidding me? Do you see the in-roads into Georgia? Or Michigan? Or NYC? Of course you don't.

Are you kidding me? Do you see the in-roads into Georgia? Or Michigan? Or NYC? Of course you don't.
hey your the guys that have excuse after excuse why we dont have a highly ranked or thought of class's under him-

These are what the marquee programs do...they get kids to see the other side by committing early. Sure, they flip flop from time to time, but what they bring to the table is stability in recruiting instead of anxiety. Again, Kamara is an example, not necessarily the guy you have to get, but you can't tell me that having this guy on the board, or someone like him, doesn't make a difference? When you go out and recruit, you tell the next kid, we have player X on the board, how would you like to line up with him, etc, etc.

Again, if we are going to be a Rutgers, or Temple, that is fine the way things are happening. But that is not what I want for SU football. You have to start acting like the big boys and playing like it if we want a contending program, or am I missing something here?
We aren't even close to a marquee program. We also can't force a kid to make a commitment to us, or we are going to be landing all kids with no other offers. Be rational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom