Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not unrealistic, they’re the most basic possible. Be one of the top 45 teams in the country. That’s not asking a lot of a school with Syracuse’s resources.
The tournament was unrealistic for this particular season if you paid attention to this team and understand basketball. It is not unrealistic long term.

The tournament was unrealistic for this particular season if you paid attention to this team and understand basketball. It is not unrealistic long term.
We ran with Tennessee for 36 minutes in November. Belonged on the court with a national title contender.

I think it was realistic. Crazier things have happened than us still getting in, imo. Not likely but not ridiculous.

We ran with Tennessee for 36 minutes in November. Belonged on the court with a national title contender.

I think it was realistic. Crazier things have happened than us still getting in, imo. Not likely but not ridiculous.
I think realistic and possible are different. I never thought it was realistic. It's been so long since we had tournament level talent, we've forgotten what that looks like.

Expecting a first year coach to outdo the outgoing HoF coach, after losing arguably the best player from that team, is unrealistic any way you slice it.
Our disappointment as fans has nothing to do with whether or not Red is off to a good start. news flash, he is. Franky, I have not been disappointed by this season, yes, a game here or there has been disappointing, but this team is exciting to watch. If you look at this team and don't see a lot of growth by most of our players as the year has gone on you must be focusing on results only and not seeing the whole picture. My advice, enjoy March for as long as you can, Next November is a long way away.
You are both free to have different feelings than me on this. Syracuse is a top program historically, it has one of the largest fan bases in the country, has some of the finest facilities, hand picked their successor and has significant NIL support, lowering expectations is dumb. Red is a first year coach, but he was hand picked, do we think UNC, Duke, Nova, or UCONN are okay with just seeing “improvement” or do you think they expect to be in the tournament the every year, regardless of who the coach is? if you want to root for “improvement,” go be a BC fan. I’m not happy with seeing the team “get better” if it doesn’t result in the tournament. That’s not unrealistic expectation, there is no reason wake freaking forest is in better position to make the tournament than Syracuse.

You are both free to have different feelings than me on this. Syracuse is a top program historically, it has one of the largest fan bases in the country, has some of the finest facilities, hand picked their successor and has significant NIL support, lowering expectations is dumb. Red is a first year coach, but he was hand picked, do we think UNC, Duke, Nova, or UCONN are okay with just seeing “improvement” or do you think they expect to be in the tournament the every year, regardless of who the coach is? if you want to root for “improvement,” go be a BC fan. I’m not happy with seeing the team “get better” if it doesn’t result in the tournament. That’s not unrealistic expectation, there is no reason wake freaking forest is in better position to make the tournament than Syracuse.
I'm sure you were thrilled with JB the last 5 years then.

BTW Kyle Neptune is 32-29 in 2 years at Nova including 17-17 last year. Red is off to a much better start.

BTW Kyle Neptune is 32-29 in 2 years at Nova including 17-17 last year. Red is off to a much better start.
Kyle Neptune was also really bad at Fordham so people knew what they were getting with him. Nova hiring Kyle Neptune was like if we brought Hop back from Washington

Kyle Neptune was also really bad at Fordham so people knew what they were getting with him. Nova hiring Kyle Neptune was like if we brought Hop back from Washington
Ehh that was not the discussion at the time.

Ehh that was not the discussion at the time.
It may not be as loud now but there definitely was discussion? People who followed college basketball on a national scale questioned why Jay Wright picked a former assistant who just went 16-16 at Fordham instead of doing a national search

It comes down to this, if JB didn’t slowly lead us down the path of mediocrity I don’t think some here would be so unpleased. I think we are absolutely carrying the frustrations of the last 5-6 years with JB into this season. And that may or may not be fair to AA and staff. It’s kinda fair because we made a continuity hire. It’s also not fair because we changed our style completely are have a first year HC.

In the end we all know where Syracuse should be based on our marketplace in CBB. We are a top 5 revenue program, absolutely no excuse for not being in the tourney every year. But, both things can be true. We expect a tourney team and we also understand it’s reds first year. I think this year is kind of par for course with what should have been expected this year. And if there was anything more (aka firmly in the tourney throughout most of the year) Then I think that would have been over achieving.

It comes down to the community and fanbase not having an upper echelon program for a decade and patience wears thin in fandom. Especially when there’s no excuses. Football kinda had/has an excuse in comparison to the football elites (Fran is unbelievably closing that gap), but basketball and lax for example don’t have any excuses for not being upper echelon (top 25). We have the history, the resources and the facilities…. Next year in my opinion is a no excuse season. This year is a little different.

If Coach K came back to coaching and took over the Syracuse job instead of Red, would Syracuse be a tournament team right now? Probably not.

Elite programs expect a short term drop-off when a new coach takes over, regardless of the coach. And that’s when there is a smooth handoff, which is not what we had. Roster construction takes a little bit of time. We weren’t bad because of X’s and O’s coaching; we were bad because we didn’t/don’t have the horses. We do not have the NIL money to go get whoever we want and the portal isn’t dripping with the talent people assume it is. We have nice facilities. Lots of schools have nice facilities.

“We’re Syracuse!” has been parroted here more than a few times and is one of the most useless statements I’ve heard in my life.

Last edited:
Anyone who was thrilled with those last 5 years was probably just busted out of prison and is just happy to be alive.

If Coach K came back to coaching and took over the Syracuse job instead of Red, would Syracuse be a tournament team right now? Probably not.

Elite programs expect a short term drop-off when a new coach takes over, regardless of the coach. And that’s when there is a smooth handoff, which is not what we had. Roster construction takes a little bit of time. We weren’t bad because of X’s and O’s coaching; we were bad because we didn’t/don’t have the horses. We do not have the NIL money to go get whoever we want and the portal isn’t dripping with the talent people assume it is. We have nice facilities. Lots of schools have nice facilities.

“We’re Syracuse!” has been parroted here more than a few times and is one of the most useless statements I’ve heard in my life.
1000000% yes this team would be in the tournament if coach K was the coach are you mad?

You bet i wasn't pleased with the last 5 years.

And guess who is still calling for neptunes head if they dont make the tournament? You're not making the point you think you are.

You bet i wasn't pleased with the last 5 years.

And guess who is still calling for neptunes head if they dont make the tournament? You're not making the point you think you are.
What year is Neptune in?

It may not be as loud now but there definitely was discussion? People who followed college basketball on a national scale questioned why Jay Wright picked a former assistant who just went 16-16 at Fordham instead of doing a national search

100%.

No matter how hard one attempts to argue or persuade others otherwise, loyalty, obligation, and other related factors, etc. will invariably affect one's decision making ability.

People aren't suggesting lowering long term expectations. Year to year expectations have to be based on the current situation. Nothing about the current situation suggested a tournament team this year unless we played over our heads. It's plain dumb to compare our transition to UNC, Duke, or Villanova. They all had recent success with consistency in the top 25 before their transitions as we declined before ours. UConn makes more sense except they even had more recent success than we did and they still had a lull before Hurley got things going. He didn't make the tournament his first 2 years. Should we be better than Wake Forest? Yeah, in a year or two. But they have also had more recent success than us after they declined the year after a coaching change. They won 25 games two years ago. When was the last time we did that? 10 years ago. If you're disappointed, fine. Blame the one that got us here, not the one tasked with getting us out, at least not in his first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom