Remember what Babers asked of the fans? | Syracusefan.com

Remember what Babers asked of the fans?

Rocco

Watching you.
To give him TIME. It generally takes 16-18 games before everything "clicks", but it could take a little bit longer based on the current roster and the level of play in the ACC. He is staring at a massive talent gap between Clem, FSU and LVille and then Cuse. He needs time to recruit his players and restock the cupboard.

I knew that people would be pulling their hair out with the first loss and that is exactly what has happened. Is the Tampa 2 ideal with the players they have? Probably not, but that's his DC's defense. Not going to change it, so let's just drop that discussion. Did Whitner and Cordy get toasted all game? Yep, but they wouldn't be starters in an ideal world. They need to get their players in. They will, but it takes time.

Is it ideal that the offensive line looked like mashed potatoes? No, but again, you have guys playing in a new offense and still trying to get comfortable with each other. It's going to take time to gel and again, in an ideal world, some of those guys wouldn't be starting. It's going to take time.

Was it ideal that the Dome was a sauna? A very cozy 147 degrees with a dousing of humidity? Was it ideal that the bathrooms were even hotter and smelled like a baby diaper caddy? No, but oh wait, that has nothing to do with Babers. ;)

I know it's tough to sit back and be patient as a fan. It's been a miserable run since 2002. Absolutely abysmal. However, Babers has proven to be a successful coach at two different levels so far. There is no reason to think he can't do it here either. For fock's sake, let's give the guy some time to get his system installed and HIS type of player here (I do think he's got some talent to start with). This was the friggin 2nd game the guy has coached here. You can tell he is still taking it all in on the sidelines and determining what he needs to do to make it better. Louisville is loaded with talent all over the place. That QB reminds me of Michael & Marcus Vick. Just absurd speed with a cannon arm. Impressive stuff.

Everyone take a pill, enjoy the weekend and get your asses back in the Dome next Saturday. Another huge challenge awaits us with USF. They got a good squad again this year.

Belief without evidence?

I'm not so sure that our talent level is that bad against the majority of the teams in the ACC. The problem is the division we are stuck in.

The majority we can play with, yes. I'm talking about the teams we need to beat to eventually win the ACC. Big talent gap that needs to be closed. Just saying.

Really worried about the secondary. I understand his philosophy now with cross training players. I hope he starts to implement this with that group. Did Devin Butler cross train at safety? Seems like a good enough athlete to possibly help there.

Really like what I saw with Carl Jones. Wonder if he passes Hudson soon? Appreciate that he looked for the ball and not the man when he was out there! So sick of watching our other DBs be the only people in the stadium that don't look for the ball when it is in the air.

I'm not so sure that our talent level is that bad against the majority of the teams in the ACC. The problem is the division we are stuck in.

Another reason why it should be just 1 division (a moot point I understand). Granted yes, SU has to step up its game recruiting but this is a crazy good division and add to that the OOC schedule and we have ourselves one heck of a mountain to climb. My hope is that Babers keeps at the grindstone that is SU recruiting and shows enough elite HS players that playing for the Orange is worth it while the fans continue to show up at a 30k clip. We may have to have blind faith but I also have to add that this staff recruiting wise is going to have to be somewhat of a miracle worker because a lot of fans and HS kids are not going to see the potential of what this could be.

Really worried about the secondary. I understand his philosophy now with cross training players. I hope he starts to implement this with that group. Did Devin Butler cross train at safety? Seems like a good enough athlete to possibly help there.

Really like what I saw with Carl Jones. Wonder if he passes Hudson soon? Appreciate that he looked for the ball and not the man when he was out there! So sick of watching our other DBs be the only people in the stadium that don't look for the ball when it is in the air.

Agreed. Fixing the secondary is simply going to take time because they need more players. The 2 kids that didn't qualify would've played, so that hurt. Whitner is completely lost back there. I've never seen a safety so confused. Truly.

With the injuries to Dowels and Cordy, we have razor think depth that is going to be exposed all year.

I will add that I was confused why Zaire was dropping back in coverage so often. He's good at getting pressure so I think he should've been a hat on Jackson all night. Jackson made a few really big mistakes when he was pressured.

In due time.

Agreed. Fixing the secondary is simply going to take time because they need more players. The 2 kids that didn't qualify would've played, so that hurt. Whitner is completely lost back there. I've never seen a safety so confused. Truly.

With the injuries to Dowels and Cordy, we have razor think depth that is going to be exposed all year.

I will add that I was confused why Zaire was dropping back in coverage so often. He's good at getting pressure so I think he should've been a hat on Jackson all night. Jackson made a few really big mistakes when he was pressured.

In due time.

I think Cordy & Dowels could be longer term injuries based on what we saw, too. Not good.

To give him TIME. It generally takes 16-18 games before everything "clicks", but it could take a little bit longer based on the current roster and the level of play in the ACC. He is staring at a massive talent gap between Clem, FSU and LVille and then Cuse. He needs time to recruit his players and restock the cupboard.

I knew that people would be pulling their hair out with the first loss and that is exactly what has happened. Is the Tampa 2 ideal with the players they have? Probably not, but that's his DC's defense. Not going to change it, so let's just drop that discussion. Did Whitner and Cordy get toasted all game? Yep, but they wouldn't be starters in an ideal world. They need to get their players in. They will, but it takes time.

Is it ideal that the offensive line looked like mashed potatoes? No, but again, you have guys playing in a new offense and still trying to get comfortable with each other. It's going to take time to gel and again, in an ideal world, some of those guys wouldn't be starting. It's going to take time.

Was it ideal that the Dome was a sauna? A very cozy 147 degrees with a dousing of humidity? Was it ideal that the bathrooms were even hotter and smelled like a baby diaper caddy? No, but oh wait, that has nothing to do with Babers. ;)

I know it's tough to sit back and be patient as a fan. It's been a miserable run since 2002. Absolutely abysmal. However, Babers has proven to be a successful coach at two different levels so far. There is no reason to think he can't do it here either. For fock's sake, let's give the guy some time to get his system installed and HIS type of player here (I do think he's got some talent to start with). This was the friggin 2nd game the guy has coached here. You can tell he is still taking it all in on the sidelines and determining what he needs to do to make it better. Louisville is loaded with talent all over the place. That QB reminds me of Michael & Marcus Vick. Just absurd speed with a cannon arm. Impressive stuff.

Everyone take a pill, enjoy the weekend and get your asses back in the Dome next Saturday. Another huge challenge awaits us with USF. They got a good squad again this year.

Belief without evidence?

Lville brought back 18 starters from last year and we put in a brand new system on both offense & defense and we were only down 14 in the 1st half & the same at the start of the 4th quarter. And we were stopped on 4th down in the red zone in 2nd qtr leaving 3 or 7 points on the field. Year 1, game 2.

I hate losing as much as anyone but I saw major mistakes all over the place on both sides of the ball. Players were unsure and hesitant due to how talented the Lville O & D were causing WRs to break their routes and LBs & DBs being out of position and missing assignments...typical of a completely new system against a much better team. And yet we put up over 400 yards against a really great D - that should tell us something already.

Last week Colgate really didn't tell me where this team is and well guess what, last night against Lville told me nothing that I didn't know already about the talent & new system gaps over our previous last 3 HCs. This week against USF will give us a much better barometer of where we are now under HCDB versus what happened last year in year 3 under FHCSS and year 7 under his defense.

Next.

Last edited:
Babers also said we would play fast. apparently what he meant is we would line up fast, then spend 30 seconds looking at the sidelines playing pictionary/charades with the coaches.

He also had some post game comment about Louisville's "Jimmy's and Joe's". He's very Shafer-esque in many ways.

Babers also said we would play fast. apparently what he meant is we would line up fast, then spend 30 seconds looking at the sidelines playing pictionary/charades with the coaches.

He also had some post game comment about Louisville's "Jimmy's and Joe's". He's very Shafer-esque in many ways.

Really? Step back from your keyboard and go chuck some more wood or rake some leaves or go do whatever you do for entertainment...

So you don't want the to audible and just jam plays? 16 games to learn the offense, he is on game two. Did he do it at BGSU faster hell yes he did, but he also was gift wrapped a team that winning conference championships.

Shafer-esque no way, he is calm and cool. Shafer would have thrown his hat, invoked ISIS, and god knows what else. All you had to do was look at the sidelines when they showed Dino, stoic. He would calmly talked to players when they came off the field. Unlike Bobby you would yell and curse at his players, I felt really bad for their kicker after missing that first field goal.

Your posts are the worst.

Why does it take so long to learn an offense that is apparently so simple that no playbook is required? I was under the impression that Dungey would have a run/pass option based on what the D is showing and all the sideline audibling wouldn't be necessary.

Was Babers calm/stoic, or defeated? Boeheim stomps his feet and berates guys.

Why does it take so long to learn an offense that is apparently so simple that no playbook is required? I was under the impression that Dungey would have a run/pass option based on what the D is showing and all the sideline audibling wouldn't be necessary.

We should've went down to D-2 right? That was a real gem.

chakka3421 said:
Lville brought back 18 starters from last year and we put in a brand new system on both offense & defense and we were only down 14 in the 1st half & the same at the start of the 4th quarter. And we were stopped on 4th down in the red zone in 2nd qtr leaving 3 or 7 points on the field. Year 1, game 2. I hate losing as much as anyone but I saw major mistakes all over the place on both sides of the ball. Players were unsure and hesitant due to how talented the Lville O & D were causing WRs to break their routes and LBs & DBs being out of position and missing assignments...typical of a completely new system against a much better team. And yet we put up over 400 yards against a really great D - that should tell us something already. Last week Colgate really didn't tell me where this team is and well guess what, last night against Lville told me nothing that I didn't know already about the talent & new system gaps over our previous last 3 HCs. This week against USF will give us a much better barometer of where we are now under HCDB versus what happened last year in year 3 under FHCSS and year 7 under his defense. Next.

Great post. I felt the same way. I know more about the team now, good and bad.

I'm looking for improvement from week to week.

I have a feeling it's not as simple as you think it is, because he said it wouldn't be running where he wants it until year 2 between games 4 & 6. I guess we should just pretend he didn't say that though and complain.

if we can't criticize anything until November of 2017 because Babers made that one remark, then quite a genius remark by DB. The two guys who actually showed up last night (Etta Tawo and Estime) won't be around at that point. unless you're playing all underclassmen, the wait till next year strategy always rings hollow in college.

One problem with "wait until year two, games 4-6": two of the players who scored last night will be gone (Etta-Tawo and Estime). The staff needs to bring it together this season, against the teams that we have been able to compete with -- UConn, Wake, BC, Pitt, and maybe NC state. Then win some recruiting battles in the next cycles, and also bring in more help via grad transfers & jucos. It is more about recruiting and talent, than it is about taking 18 months for players to learn a scheme.

if we can't criticize anything until November of 2017 because Babers made that one remark, then quite a genius remark by DB. The two guys who actually showed up last night (Etta Tawo and Estime) won't be around at that point. unless you're playing all underclassmen, the wait till next year strategy always rings hollow in college.

You specifically said why does it take so long to learn and that is what my response was referring to. Babers said from the get go that there would be these growing pains on offense until that time frame, to which he has data to support from his last two head coaching stints. Offense is the last thing I'd be worried about at this point.

Woodchuck said:

Trollin ain't easy

SoBristol said:
One problem with "wait until year two, games 4-6": two of the players who scored last night will be gone (Etta-Tawo and Estime). The staff needs to bring it together this season, against the teams that we have been able to compete with -- UConn, Wake, BC, Pitt, and maybe NC state. Then win some recruiting battles in the next cycles, and also bring in more help via grad transfers & jucos. It is more about recruiting and talent, than it is about taking 18 months for players to learn a scheme.

The kids they are bringing in on O at WR this year are players with speed and size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom