Report: McDonald to WolfPack | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Report: McDonald to WolfPack

They have a better rated class right now. Anybody in the know won't be shocked if McDonald has similar results as he had at all his stops. And North Carolina is closer to Florida than Syracuse last I checked.

Exactly. I fully expect him to recruit better there then he did to Cuse.

Dr. Bill said:
McDonald taking a lateral move says nothing about his Character. Why should he be loyal to the Cuse...the way they treated him? His taking a lateral move speaks more to how pissed he is at his friend Shafer than anything else. Friends don't do that to friends...I am sorry. I understand it is a business...and when you go into business with friends and fasmily...you walk a fine line. Preservation of the relationship in my opinion...has to play a role in how you handle unsatisfactory performaance of a family member.

Shafer, Lester, McDonald, Doreen, and NC State's OC are all good friends (well maybe not Shafer and McDonald, but you get the idea)...

phil77 said:
This is what happens when you hire all your buddies and one doesn't work out. I expect the rest of the coaching staff to be gone after next season and if we lose 2-3 recruits because of it oh well...

All of that will be worked out on the field. I don't know that Shafer's position and Doreen's are that different. Very similar w/l records so far during the same time period.

javadoc said:
Keep going, you guys are fueling what my argument has been all along.

Which is what exactly? That recruiting to Syracuse is difficult because of the relative talent and geography? Isn't that kind of assumed around here?

OrangeXtreme said:
Shafer confirmed the change only AFTER McDonald had already cried to the press. Of course, if McDonald hadn't opened up his mouth, Lester would have been calling the plays and the press (and public) wouldn't have found out until after the season was over.

Do you really think no one would have noticed?

Serious question.

Lester is suddenly in the coaches box calling plays, McDonald is on the sideline, and no one thinks there's been a change?

@ThayerEvansSI
Syracuse WRs coach George McDonald has accepted the same position at North Carolina State per source.
this is hilarious. He downgraded in programs...in the same conference...for the same position. I think this shows he clearly burned potential bridges for opportunities with his childish blowup in the media. Granted...the way he was demoted was bush league, but he could have been the better man and not gone all cray cray.

Serious question.

Lester is suddenly in the coaches box calling plays, McDonald is on the sideline, and no one thinks there's been a change?

When we started scoring more than 21 points a game, I'm sure the thought would have crossed people's minds. :)

That our perception of Syracuse is much greater than the general consensus.

I went back through and looked after posting that. Obviously thats true. Most of the time when people see me in my Cuse gear (almost every day), they assume I'm just into Bball and always talk about Cuse Bball. Our football team has a very poor perception nationally. When I start talking about Cuse Football people look at me in pity, lol.

Finwad32 said:
That our perception of Syracuse is much greater than the general consensus.

Not trying to be a jackwagon about this - but I think that's true of every fan base, everywhere.

I went back through and looked after posting that. Obviously thats true. Most of the time when people see me in my Cuse gear (almost every day), they assume I'm just into Bball and always talk about Cuse Bball. Our football team has a very poor perception nationally. When I start talking about Cuse Football people look at me in pity, lol.

It's too bad, because the people who've been around know what Cuse Football can be. Those not exposed to it then, or much now for that matter, have no concept.

I really hope there comes a day when the University as a whole embraces what it can be. Tea leaves say ney, but, a guy can dream.

I have read the entire discussion and been a part of previous discussions on the same topic. There has been a lot of talk about McDonald being a bad guy for expressing to the press his feelings about the demotion..and not being loyal...etc...etc. you should read all the comments..that is the general thread. I seem to be the only one that has no problem with what he said to the press.

There is a really simple answer to this tiresome argument -- no one cares, or at least no one should care, what a coach's character is b/c how would any of us really know. he needs to win games and/or be a good position coach/recruiter. The other thing required of football coaches is to adhere to the laws of the fraternity which basically state that you never say anything bad. As a football coach in a big program, you could basically work for Mussolini and the expectation is that you tell everyone he's misunderstood and merely a fair disciplinarian.

I'm not saying it was my point, just trying my best to point out what I thought javadoc was getting at.
It's part of it. When McDonald was demoted and we began to speculate about his future, there was a thread of opinion about how losing his recruiting efforts would not be a big problem, because he wasn't, in fact, a great recruiter. The measure was that he hadn't brought in any high end blue chippers for us. Sure, he had a top-25 class at Minnesota, but what has he done for us?

What I think people will see is that it is damn near impossible for anyone to bring in high end blue chippers for us right now. Watch what McDonald does at NC State the next few years. I think he did a very good job for us, and brought a level of connectedness in South Florida, and general recruiting panache, that we had not seen in a long long time. There are other good recruiters out there (see: Acosta), so if Shafer does his homework we can get rolling again pretty quickly. But whoever the new guy is, he will not be bringing blue chippers along with him in a briefcase.

It is hard to recruit at Syracuse right now, and the fact that we have had the classes we did the last two years is a testament to the hard work the staff has done. Still not satisfied? I think some perspective is desperately needed.

It's part of it. When McDonald was demoted and we began to speculate about his future, there was a thread of opinion about how losing his recruiting efforts would not be a big problem, because he wasn't, in fact, a great recruiter. The measure was that he hadn't brought in any high end blue chippers for us. Sure, he had a top-25 class at Minnesota, but what has he done for us?

What I think people will see is that it is damn near impossible for anyone to bring in high end blue chippers for us right now. Watch what McDonald does at NC State the next few years. I think he did a very good job for us, and brought a level of connectedness in South Florida, and general recruiting panache, that we had not seen in a long long time. There are other good recruiters out there (see: Acosta), so if Shafer does his homework we can get rolling again pretty quickly. But whoever the new guy is, he will not be bringing blue chippers along with him in a briefcase.

It is hard to recruit at Syracuse right now, and the fact that we have had the classes we did the last two years is a testament to the hard work the staff has done. Still not satisfied? I think some perspective is desperately needed.

That's been the case since midway through P's tenure, maybe. I think you're espousing the consensus opinion - but maybe some uber-unrealistic fans will surface.

I'm sick of people bashing lester first of all he came in mid season, second he had to run an offense not his ! Over a dozen injuries, decimated offensive line ... On your third string qb who is a TRUE freshman. I'm guessing everyone forgot McDonalds head scratching idea to make our offensive line much skinnier and quote FASTER has anybody ever given a thought to maybe that's why we got pushed around this year? I remember watching the tar heels play Rutgers in a bowl this year and they ran a similar offense as mcdonald. Literally same thing take forever to get the play off moving a bunch of people around that zone read bull crap I wanted to scream at the TV . on the other hand Rutgers was running north and south down hill in Your mouth running attack complimented by some nice play action . That's what we need not this zone read bs, I hate Rutgers as much as anyone but I gotta admit I like d the style of attack a lot and I feel that lester is implementing something similar.

Oh well.

You guys continue to be delusional though. It's not 1998 anymore.

Since 1999... FIFTEEN years...

NC State:
10 bowls
Six 8+ win seasons
Two times finished season ranked in top 25
5 losing seasons

Syracuse:
6 bowls
Three 8+ win seasons
One time finished season ranked in top 25
8 losing seasons

Yeah, such a "lesser" program.

It. Is. Not. 1998. Anymore.

Which should tell you something.
I have no problem being alone in my opinion. Majority can be just as wrong as any individual.Too many people seek "group affirmation" before being confident about what they think.

Scooch said:
Oh well. You guys continue to be delusional though. It's not 1998 anymore. Since 1999... FIFTEEN years... NC State: 10 bowls Six 8+ win seasons Two times finished season ranked in top 25 5 losing seasons Syracuse: 6 bowls Three 8+ win seasons One time finished season ranked in top 25 8 losing seasons Yeah, such a "lesser" program. It. Is. Not. 1998. Anymore.

16 years.

The last time SU had a good dual-threat QB.

I think there may be a connection.

Yet you have no issue trying to assassinate Shafer's character.
I am not assinating Shafer's character. I never once mentioned his character in a single post about him. I don't know his character...but he seems like a straight shooter to me. I just question the wisdom of his decision to Demote a coach and a friend in the heat of the season. What did it accomplish? You can't put in a new playbook mid season. In the executive leadership training field, there is a concept called Relationship Centered Conflict Resolution that speaks to preserving relationships while resolving conflict(If you desire the relationship). The actions shafer took don't speak to that type of strategy or McDonald would not have felt the way he did. Go back and read Shafer's articles when he was hired. He said he hired his friends...people he developed deep relationships with from years of working together. The results speak for themselves...both on the field...and in McDonald's choice to take a lateral move to a conference rival!

Serious question.

Lester was moved from the sideline to the box last season replacing DeAndre Smith. McDonald should have seen the writing on the wall then.

McDonald's offense was rudderless. I'm not sure he knew what he wanted to accomplish from series-to-series let alone knowing what he wanted to do long-term. Obviously, round-peg in square-hole didn't work...not mention he couldn't get plays in quickly enough.

Let's see if/when he ever re-surfaces as an OC again. I seriously have my doubts.

Maybe he'll get promoted to NCST OC before we play them again. A man can dream.....

An opportunity for SS to upgrade a position coach.

After what happen during the season, a lot of people expected McDonald to leave. I had a feeling he might stick around because of his Assistant/Associate Head Coaching title. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, he kept after his demotion for OC. I figure there has to be some sort of extra incentives with that title. In terms of "moving up the coaching ladder", I thought it would take an OC, or another Associate HC position for him to move. The only way I thought he would take another WR position would be with a major program and not a peer program. I am definitely surprised to see him take a WR coaching position with a peer school school that's not only in the same conference, but the same division. I'm curious to see how this plays out next season, especially during NC State game week.

But it is what it is, next man up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom