Rest of recruiting class? | Syracusefan.com

Rest of recruiting class?

echosofmanley

Scout Team
We could use a few more DE/TE types , a RB ( maybe 2 if AAM isnt ready) , and many CB/smaller WR types.

Why do we need smaller WRs? If we get big kids that can run that gives us more of an advantage. We have our RB in McFarlane, who seems solid.

My ideal 4 to wrap up the class (since I don't think we have more slots than that)
  • TJ Neal, OLB, PA, huge offer list and we were the leader at last update. Visiting on the 25th of Nov.
  • Ron Thompson, TE, MI, decent B1G offers and we are in his top 3 with Cincy and Illinois.
  • Deaysean Rippy, OLB, PA, Once again, great offer list, we are in a great spot with him as him and Conley have a great relationship and he's teammates with Dontez Ford, and is visiting in Nov. IIRC.
  • Wayne Morgan, CB, NY, not sure of offers, rumors he made some up, but he's a NY kid, good looking player, and would be a big land for Marrone in terms of locking down NY. We're up there for him judging by his diaries, as he keeps mentioning us. Hopefully Alvin Cornelius keeps working him.
Guys that would be nice to land if we don't get a few of these:

• Abner Logan, LB, MA, has a decent offer list, and may visit here. Not sure how high up his list we are, though.
  • Jaylen Coleman, OLB, PA, offer list is a bunch of BE teams, Cincy lean, not sure we can pull him away though.
  • Matt Kuivinen, QB, TN, under the radar kid, supposedly has an offer from us, highlight tape looks nice and he's starting to get some interest. Not sure we have room for another signal caller but i'll take it.
  • Corry Omeally, CB, FL, has a WVU offer, I think our interest has cooled on him since we got commits from other DB's.
Plan B guys:
  • Joe Scelfo, C/G, GA, Orange Fizz has a boner for this kid, offer list is weak, wants to take his time though, which isn't smart because he doesn't have any other BCS options.
  • Kenneth Goins, RB, MD, I like this kid's tape, only other offer is Tulane though. Definitely should be a plan B option.
  • Dalton Crossan, RB, NY, I doubt he has an offer but if we whiff on the other kids I guess why not.

I thought McFarlane was headed to D? Sounds good.

If we get big kids that can run that gives us more of an advantage.
-That would be ideal, but hasnt been the reality around here.

Thanks for the list.

I think we could take all of those guys if we wanted. Have to think Broyld, Smallwood and Myles Davis would be Jan enrollees counting towards last year. So we really only have 17 now and id bet 1-2 are non qualifiers.

Not sure how many slots from last year are left over though.

I think we could take all of those guys if we wanted. Have to think Broyld, Smallwood and Myles Davis would be Jan enrollees counting towards last year. So we really only have 17 now and id bet 1-2 are non qualifiers.

Not sure how many slots from last year are left over though.

Marrone said we'd be taking 21 players. We have 4 slots left.

We should be able to beat out Rutgers Uconn for ever 4-5 star right now :noidea:

would the local kid be a grey shirt candidate if they needed a spot? he would be a RS anyway

We could use a few more DE/TE types , a RB ( maybe 2 if AAM isnt ready) , and many CB/smaller WR types.

Any running back worth a is usually ready from day one to at least contribute, if not year 2. If AAM isn't ready next year, IMO he will never be. My god, true frosh start all the time at WR/ RB. Its the easiest two positions to do so... We aren't talking about O Line... The excuses around here are built in

Any running back worth a **** is usually ready from day one to at least contribute, if not year 2. If AAM isn't ready next year, IMO he will never be. My god, true frosh start all the time at WR/ RB. Its the easiest two positions to do so... We aren't talking about O Line... The excuses around here are built in
How many true freshman running backs are starting this year?

didn't say starting the post said contributing... there are probably too many too count and I am not doing the research, I also said by year two if they aren't ready then they probably aren't going to get a ton of time. All our running backs the past 10-20 years fit into that category. Bailey, Carter, Boonah, Rhodes, Reyes, Konrad, Owens, Mungro (who has a great senior year) That is my point, being a good college running back isn't a 3 year development process, sure there is room for improvement and rounding out skill sets, I would suggest that a few of these guys regressed.

Running back is about athleticism, vision and instinct, sure many frosh and sophs need to develop at the nuances but there are plenty of running backs that start as true frosh or get significant playing time, RB is a spot where you either have it or you don't

good post IB i agree with you the fact is we are pretty weak at the RB spot and could really use a boost that i dont see coming unless Devonte is the real deal

didn't say starting the post said contributing... there are probably too many too count and I am not doing the research, I also said by year two if they aren't ready then they probably aren't going to get a ton of time. All our running backs the past 10-20 years fit into that category. Bailey, Carter, Boonah, Rhodes, Reyes, Konrad, Owens, Mungro (who has a great senior year) That is my point, being a good college running back isn't a 3 year development process, sure there is room for improvement and rounding out skill sets, I would suggest that a few of these guys regressed.

Running back is about athleticism, vision and instinct, sure many frosh and sophs need to develop at the nuances but there are plenty of running backs that start as true frosh or get significant playing time, RB is a spot where you either have it or you don't

I honestly think if Moore was 20 pounds lighter he could be contributing right now. No FBS running back should have rolls on his arms. It will be interesting to see if he can come into camp in shape for 2012 and if so, what he can bring to the table.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

there are just as many stories of RB who dont have it to start either.. the MSU kid was a nobody. non producer dumped off the team down to 4th string. now he is a NFL type putting up big numbers. look at the OK kid. He was an avg HS back, went to Juco walked on to that team from a grocery job, walked on to OK has became the starter year one.. no schools even recruited him..

Crowell of GA is starting ... and a lot of RBs start as freshman ... Dyer of Auburn last year is another example. Its not uncommon to see an RB start as a true freshman if as IB says ... they are worth a damn. WR is another position that a stud true frosh will see the field with. Josh Harris of Wake ended up starting as a frosh last year and tore VT to pieces to the tune of 241 yards. The UNC RB ... (can't remember his name) is another stud frosh starter. I think it is more common than people realize.

there are just as many stories of RB who dont have it to start either.. the MSU kid was a nobody. non producer dumped off the team down to 4th string. now he is a NFL type putting up big numbers. look at the OK kid. He was an avg HS back, went to Juco walked on to that team from a grocery job, walked on to OK has became the starter year one.. no schools even recruited him..

No there isn't... There are far more kids who get to college, play as a true frosh, play three more years and go into the NFL.. I bet if you look at the last 100 draft picks who are running backs who were drafted, most played as true frosh and or left early. There is only so much abuse their bodies can take..

Why do we need smaller WRs? If we get big kids that can run that gives us more of an advantage. We have our RB in McFarlane, who seems solid.

My ideal 4 to wrap up the class (since I don't think we have more slots than that)
  • TJ Neal, OLB, PA, huge offer list and we were the leader at last update. Visiting on the 25th of Nov.
  • Ron Thompson, TE, MI, decent B1G offers and we are in his top 3 with Cincy and Illinois.
  • Deaysean Rippy, OLB, PA, Once again, great offer list, we are in a great spot with him as him and Conley have a great relationship and he's teammates with Dontez Ford, and is visiting in Nov. IIRC.
  • Wayne Morgan, CB, NY, not sure of offers, rumors he made some up, but he's a NY kid, good looking player, and would be a big land for Marrone in terms of locking down NY. We're up there for him judging by his diaries, as he keeps mentioning us. Hopefully Alvin Cornelius keeps working him.

• Abner Logan, LB, MA, has a decent offer list, and may visit here. Not sure how high up his list we are, though.
  • Jaylen Coleman, OLB, PA, offer list is a bunch of BE teams, Cincy lean, not sure we can pull him away though.
  • Matt Kuivinen, QB, TN, under the radar kid, supposedly has an offer from us, highlight tape looks nice and he's starting to get some interest. Not sure we have room for another signal caller but i'll take it.
  • Corry Omeally, CB, FL, has a WVU offer, I think our interest has cooled on him since we got commits from other DB's.
Plan B guys:

• Joe Scelfo, C/G, GA, Orange Fizz has a boner for this kid, offer list is weak, wants to take his time though, which isn't smart because he doesn't have any other BCS options.
  • Kenneth Goins, RB, MD, I like this kid's tape, only other offer is Tulane though. Definitely should be a plan B option.
  • Dalton Crossan, RB, NY, I doubt he has an offer but if we whiff on the other kids I guess why not.

According to scout Goins has offers from Tulane, GT, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt, Vandy and Navy as well. I wonder if any of those are true?

Any running back worth a **** is usually ready from day one to at least contribute, if not year 2. If AAM isn't ready next year, IMO he will never be. My god, true frosh start all the time at WR/ RB. Its the easiest two positions to do so... We aren't talking about O Line... The excuses around here are built in

Yep. Just look at Pitt. They always get highly rated RB's. They all play early in their careers. RB and WR you only have to remember certain packages and plays to get on the field. QB and OL you gotta pretty much know the whole playbook. You don't rotate an Olineman based on the play.

Yep. Just look at Pitt. They always get highly rated RB's. They all play early in their careers. RB and WR you only have to remember certain packages and plays to get on the field. QB and OL you gotta pretty much know the whole playbook. You don't rotate an Olineman based on the play.

Yep and they all leave early as well, as many good running backs do. I remember Rhodes looking really good versus BYU on the road his first year. Hell Mike Hart played as a true forsh at Michigan after playing for a class D school! Good running backs usually play pretty quickly

I remember being in the big house watching Mungro as a true frosh

According to scout Goins has offers from Tulane, GT, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt, Vandy and Navy as well. I wonder if any of those are true?
His finalists are us and Tulane, and the fact Tulane was one of his choices after being in attendance for Saturday's game makes me think those other offers aren't there. ESPN and Rivals only list us and Tulane as offers.

Plan B guys:

Surprised to see so many LBs on the list. Is that really a position in that much need? I think short and long term we're looking pretty good there, or at the very least there are other positions in a lot more need of a long term upgrade.

Surprised to see so many LBs on the list. Is that really a position in that much need? I think short and long term we're looking pretty good there, or at the very least there are other positions in a lot more need of a long term upgrade.
I think some are big enough we can play them as a DE in a 3-4. I don't think all of them will play LB here.

I remember being in the big house watching Mungro as a true frosh

Mungro actually redshirted his frosh year in '97. He came in with another highly touted rb Ali Culpepper who played as a true frosh while Mungro redshirted.

Marrone said we'd be taking 21 players. We have 4 slots left.
Marrone said recently that they have 6-7 slots left. We haven't added anyone since, so there are still 6-7 spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom