Richardson entering, no agent | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Richardson entering, no agent

That's my fear, and likely why the Syracuse staff doesn't encourage declaring without an agent.

Many of these agents are scumbags and will work everyone around Malachi and make it seem like if he signs with his agency then Malachi will be a Top 10 lock. It happens. Kid declares without an agent. A couple of weeks later kid signs with agent. Gets picked in the 2nd round if at all.

I agree that the agents are mostly in it for themselves, and its in their best interest if the player they sign actually gets drafted and makes $$$. I dont see an agent talking him into leaving just to play d league or overseas.

I think the scouts want to see him come back, improve defense and consistency.

Apparently a scout told Brent Axe that the wrong guy declared, and Lydon would be a borderline lottery pick had he declared this year fwiw.

It is interesting that Lydon is the guy more valued by the pro scouts. I don't think a lot of people on the board see it this way.

I'm on board with Mali being the better pro player. I just don't ever see Lydon to ever be able to guard the 3 nor having the size to play the 4.

The new rule was designed for kids like Mal. This is great and expected. He knows he isn't a "lock" for anything and wants to complete due diligence on where he stands. I feel like this only increases the chances that he returns. Guy will be center-pieced in our offense next year and, hopefully, scouts and GMs are telling him the same thing. Agree with other poster that it is senseless for other guys in similar spots (see Allen, Grayson) to not take advantage of this.

Malachi as a guard up top is a luxury regardless of if he goes or stays... Battle starts at the 2 from day 1, Mal is our starting 3 or in the NBA next year. We are going to get another guard to plug into the rotation with Tyus and Frank...
jb was pretty adamant that next year he will be playing the 2 if he comes back

Apparently a scout told Brent Axe that the wrong guy declared, and Lydon would be a borderline lottery pick had he declared this year fwiw.

It is interesting that Lydon is the guy more valued by the pro scouts. I don't think a lot of people on the board see it this way.[/QUOTE]
Disagree. I think the majority of people here think Lydon is the better prospect. He's a 6'9 stretch 4 who does a lot, including hitting NBA range 3s and playing D. Mali has been the talk around the boards because Lydon said right away that he wasn't leaving and even pretty much tweeted he'd be back -- no one was worried about him leaving.

Ironically I think Mali will be the 3rd best NBA prospect on our team next year

It is interesting that Lydon is the guy more valued by the pro scouts. I don't think a lot of people on the board see it this way.

Lydon looks like he will have the best pro career for a Syracuse player since Melo. He is exactly what teams are looking for with where the NBA is headed. He is a stretch 4 who can do everything you are looking for, and after the blocking display he put on in the tournament he looks like a guy who could spend time at the 5 in a small ball line up if he adds muscle.

If he comes back with 15-20lbs and doesn't have a major sophomore slump, he is a probably a 5-10 range lottery pick.

if frank howard works on his shot this off-season I think he will start and get alot of minutes, he can already get to the basket and his court awareness speaks for itself. Battle is unproven so I guess whoever plays better in the fall will get the nod, I just think FH is going to be a really good player. jmho
I'm with you on this. I think Frank is going to be a good shooter and is going to start at point. With an improved shot and more freedom to shoot, Howard will have a complete skillset for our system. If Mali stays I hink he starts at the 2, with Battle playing a lot of minutes behind both both guys. This allows our forwards and centers to play their natural positions and jimmy can always go small and put mali at 3 depending on the situation. Lots of options especially if Mali stays.

Maybe no Arinze or Rick; but Lydon, TR, DC2, Pikachu get us paint points... Close to 40/game?
40 paint points a game from those 4 would be absurd.,... I wouldn't count on that

40 paint points a game from those 4 would be absurd.,... I wouldn't count on that
don't know if it's that absurd - I would count on 15ish from TL, 10ish from Robey, and a combined 10ish from the center tandem = 35

JoeySimz said:
I'm with you on this. I think Frank is going to be a good shooter and is going to start at point. With an improved shot and more freedom to shoot, Howard will have a complete skillset for our system. If Mali stays I hink he starts at the 2, with Battle playing a lot of minutes behind both both guys. This allows our forwards and centers to play their natural positions and jimmy can always go small and put mali at 3 depending on the situation. Lots of options especially if Mali stays.

Battle wouldn't be here if he wasn't going to start.

It could happen, I suppose: Lydon 18, Roberson 10, Coleman 8 and Chukwu 4

IIRC the big pitch to Tyus Battle was that he was going to be playing a lot of PG.
Yeah, if he was going to play SG or come off the bench, he'd still be at Michigan.

Yes, not all in the paint... Some of Lydon's would come from 3point; all depends on JB, do we get back to transition running?

docsu said:
I liked this because it pleases me when people just come correct and not hide behind the facades that are "you can play in front of 30,000 people! Top ten team! National TV! Playing for Syracuse is teh awesome!" You want MR here because he will help us win games. No BS. Bravo sir.

While refreshingly honest, I think it's a BS position to take. The jersey is important, but not caring about what's best for our players is sad. Pearl resonates because he wore the jersey, he's one of us. I want to win games but not at the expense of a kid's future.

Plus that implies that it's one or the other. I think in this case what will end up being best for both will be another year in Syracuse for MR.

Cusefan0307 said:
Apparently a scout told Brent Axe that the wrong guy declared, and Lydon would be a borderline lottery pick had he declared this year fwiw. It is interesting that Lydon is the guy more valued by the pro scouts. I don't think a lot of people on the board see it this way.

Really? I think the consensus is that Lydon will be a better pro, but both need another year.

two3zone said:
I'm on board with Mali being the better pro player. I just don't ever see Lydon to ever be able to guard the 3 nor having the size to play the 4.

If this was 5 years ago, I might agree with you. But shooting is more important than defense in today's NBA. Plus/Minus numbers will be favorable for a guy like him. His stroke is pure and he has the athleticism to at least hang with 3's or 4's.

NBA drafts based on offensive ability. Defense only players are a bigger issue than offense only guys (and I don't think Lydon is a poor defender).

If this was 5 years ago, I might agree with you. But shooting is more important than defense in today's NBA. Plus/Minus numbers will be favorable for a guy like him. His stroke is pure and he has the athleticism to at least hang with 3's or 4's.

NBA drafts based on offensive ability. Defense only players are a bigger issue than offense only guys (and I don't think Lydon is a poor defender).

Defense is huge in the NBA, that'll keep you on the roster longer than excellent offense. It's too easy for guys to be picked apart and scored on every time down the court. Lydon would give whatever SF in the league right now a 25-30+ point game every game.