RIP Louie Orr | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Louie Orr

RIP, he was a classmate of mine, and we shared a few classes together. He was so soft spoken back then. I never, ever would have guessed he would coach at such a high level. He was the most modest guy. Except for his height you would not know he was a basketball star. Wish the good guys could stay here longer, the world needs more Louis Orr's not less of them. Wishing for strength to his close friends and family.

It has been a tough week and this is the toughest news of all.

This hits home hard.

Louie was in my class at Syracuse. When I first got a look at him, I was pretty shocked at his appearance. Syracuse has had lots of skinny forwards over the years but I am not sure anyone was ever skinnier than Louis.

He was born with a bad body but a great basketball mind. One of our smartest players and this was the case from day one. He was really good even as a true frosh.

Weird looking shot, super narrow shoulders, almost no bulk. But he competed under the boards, somehow got his hands on rebounds in traffic with stronger guys and held on to the ball. Very tough kid.

Seemed to always make the right decision, whether it was setting a pick, passing or shooting, whether to contest a shot or try and draw a charge. It was inevitable that he become a coach.

Amazing he had a great career at Syracuse and even more amazing that he also had a long career in the NBA.

Louis was one of those guys I loved to watch play and admired greatly. He got more out of what he had to work with than any other player I have ever seen at Syracuse.

RIP Louis. Condolences to his friends and family. We Syracuse fans will never forget what you did for our program as a player and later as a coach.
Such a nice tribute Tom. What was even more impressive was the man off the court - he was a quiet, humble, sincerely awesome person. We were so lucky to have him here at SU. This has to hit JB very hard too.

Such a nice tribute Tom. What was even more impressive was the man off the court - he was a quiet, humble, sincerely awesome person. We were so lucky to have him here at SU. This has to hit JB very hard too.
Yup. Pretty sure Louis was his first recruit as the new SU basketball HC.

Sigh.

FkHJYg_XoAIFBdW

This is sad news, indeed. I first started following SU hoops with the Louis and Bouie show. I emulated him on the playground while none of my friends in ACC land knew who he was.
He was my first favorite player.
This sucks.

Louis Orr
Former Syracuse Great Basketball Player
Former NBA Player
Former Syracuse Assistant Coach
Former College Head Coach
Many more accolades
He will be missed
Rest in Peace!

I noticed that he was not in the End of The Game line last Saturday shaking hands and
I wondered where he was. Now I know.
I missed him then and we now will all miss him.

Louis came to SU my sophomore year at SU. He was always in the right spot and could rebound with the best of them. A great guy and a very good coach. He will be sadly missed both on and off the court. I remember a year when JB was up for the Coach of the Year Award and JB campaigned hard for Louis. I believe Louie got the award.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

This is awful news. Louis Orr is one of the kindest, most thoughtful and genuine people I've ever met. A true gentlemen, who was relentlessly kind. God rest his soul.

Seth Davis
@SethDavisHoops

One of the great and true gentlemen the sport has ever produced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors