RIP Louie Orr | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Louie Orr

Will never forget that back in February of 1980 - the first game after our 58-game Manley streak had been snapped by Georgetown - that as a Daily Orange assistant sports editor, I was sent to Jamaica, Long Island, for the game with St. John's that weekend. And Louis hit the game-winner at the buzzer after a missed SJU free throw and a great drive and dish by Hal Cohen - which included controversy because Louis Carnesecca wanted the charge call and didn't get it. (Always thought it was a ballsy call that the official made that day in front of a full house of red.) Afterward, Louis was as he always was - humble, as if he was just nodding and saying hello to you on a morning walk through the Quad. Still my favorite Cuse player, and by all accounts, he was an even better man. Time and tide...

Yep. Bernard Rencher missed the FT and Danny Schayes got the rebound passed it to Hal Cohen and Hal to Louie.

My first year of teaching was at Syracuse CBA. 1986. Louie came and spoke to the student body. All the things on this thread are absolutely true. He was a truly good guy. ( And his SU years transformed SU hoops to a Nationally known program ) RIP Louie.

Yup. Pretty sure Louis was his first recruit as the new SU basketball HC.

Sigh.
I believe that Louis Orr was a Rick Petino Recruit. If memory serves me right. I don't know where my car keys are but I remember that.

I believe that Louis Orr was a Rick Petino Recruit. If memory serves me right. I don't know where my car keys are but I remember that.
Yes, I believe the first thing JB did when he hired Rick was to send him to visit Louis. So Rick was the assistant. But it was JB's first recruit as a HC.

We've lost one of the good ones here. Obviously, his career in basketball was remarkable, but I will remember him as the truly decent and unassuming person he was. My condolences to his family, friends, fans and all who knew him. RIP, Louie.

As a sports fan growing up near Rochester, I watched SU hoops games when they were available on TV.
After applying, and being admitted, to SU in the fall of 1979 my following of SU hoops dialed up even more.

Fortunately, I was able to see Louis and the team play twice:

December 28*No. 9vs. CornellW 99–64 7–0Rochester War Memorial
Rochester, NY
December 29*No. 9vs. VillanovaW 92–84 8–0Rochester War Memorial
Rochester, NY

The highlight of the Villanova game was coach Rollie Massimino's ejection.

The Louie & Bouie show was awesome. It was good to see that Louis' love of the game continued for the rest of his life. He is a true Orange legend who will be missed by the entire Orange family. RIP

Yup. Pretty sure Louis was his first recruit as the new SU basketball HC.

Sigh.
Rick Pitino must be hurting too. He was the asst JB sent to Cincy to bring back Louie. For those who don't remember Bill Rafferty telling everyone about 100 times that Rick did that instead of going on his honeymoon. A lot of college basketball people will feel this one. Louie was coach at Seton Hall when my son was there. I had nothing but good things to say about him as an undergrad at SU and my son only has good memories of him as a coach.

I once got a phone call from Louis regarding recruitment of Carlos Boozer before he picked Duke. Carlos played for my local HS in Juneau. Sad news. My condolences.

FkHJYg_XoAIFBdW
I've seen this photo many times, but never have looked at it like I am today. Two great men. Rest in peace Louis.

Will never forget that back in February of 1980 - the first game after our 58-game Manley streak had been snapped by Georgetown - that as a Daily Orange assistant sports editor, I was sent to Jamaica, Long Island, for the game with St. John's that weekend. And Louis hit the game-winner at the buzzer after a missed SJU free throw and a great drive and dish by Hal Cohen - which included controversy because Louis Carnesecca wanted the charge call and didn't get it. (Always thought it was a ballsy call that the official made that day in front of a full house of red.) Afterward, Louis was as he always was - humble, as if he was just nodding and saying hello to you on a morning walk through the Quad. Still my favorite Cuse player, and by all accounts, he was an even better man. Time and tide...
Great memory. Thanks for sharing it.

The Louie and Bouie show was the beginning of the rise of SU basketball to the top. Pearl and the Big East brought it to the next level. Louie was such an asset for SU basketball both as a player and as a man. So easy to root for him as both a player and a coach. Such a soft-spoken and classy individual. So sad that he was taken away at such a young age. Condolences to his family. RIP Louie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom