Rob Moore lays the smack down | Syracusefan.com

Rob Moore lays the smack down

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
"The thing I tell kids all the time, take those kids that leave New York City and really, really evaluate how well they do. It isn't very good, I can tell you that."

Moore continued: "You go to some of these schools and some of these kids just think they're too big for Syracuse. At the end of the day you have to have players that want to be here. Period. End of discussion. If you're doing us a favor, I really don't waste my time with those types of players.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/06/rob_moore_new_york_recruiting.html

Aggressive response from Moore. Don't know if i would take this tactic.

I guess this confirms he's not the Jersey guy anymore?

Truthfully, I don't totally disagree w/ him (Compare the path of a Chandler Jones (2 star) who ended up being a 1st rounder to the many higher rated guys like Ishaq, Jerome Lewis, Gause, who don't even start), but he's been here for a few years -Has he gotten anyone to come here? Part of recruiting is showing recruits why this is the place to be.

I thought the article was great. I love the candid approach. Besides, everything he said was the 100% truth...

He is echoing Shafer. If you think you're bigger than Syracuse - don't come here. We'll take kids who want to be here and turn them into 1st rounders, HOF, etc.

Besides - an unwritten story is how many very good players ride the bench at SEC schools, never getting the reps they would here, never getting better. I'd rather be a big fish in a little pond, play a lot, and get better.

"The thing I tell kids all the time, take those kids that leave New York City and really, really evaluate how well they do. It isn't very good, I can tell you that."

Moore continued: "You go to some of these schools and some of these kids just think they're too big for Syracuse. At the end of the day you have to have players that want to be here. Period. End of discussion. If you're doing us a favor, I really don't waste my time with those types of players.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/06/rob_moore_new_york_recruiting.html

The problem isn't that he's wrong, because he's not. The problem is he isn't the right guy to be saying it.

The problem isn't that he's wrong, because he's not. The problem is he isn't the right guy to be saying it.
There would be more "waves" if someone higher up the coaching chain said it. He's the perfect guy to say it, because he's from the area, he's not criticizing as an outsider. And really, who cares? Some coach is going to get miffed that he was called out for being star-struck by the hollow celebrity of small men? He wasn't doing us any favors as is, so screw it.

A media guy like Axe or Poliquin could write an article about it, but then everyone would know who their sources were anyway. It's all the same.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but are you saying this because it could hurt his ability to recruit these kids?

Yup.
But we're not getting them anyway. The one's we did get were Anselmo's recruits evidently. At least that was the excuse for those that bolted after he left.

An ability that seems not to have existed in the first place, given the mindset described in the article - thus no harm done.

:noidea:

That comment sounds like it comes from a beaten recruiter. Not saying he is necessarily wrong, but I doubt we'd be hearing these gripes on NYC players had he been able to land one or two. Those comments would carry more weight if Rob had actually brought in some top flight talent.

I appreciate Rob Moore as a legacy player. But I've been less than impressed with his coaching/recruiting abilities.

I like his coaching ability, just hasn't done anything on the recruiting trail. With his profile, he should be able to do more. How many other Pro Bowl receivers from NY are recruiting NY?

He just sounds like a guy that doesn't relate all that well to today's kids. When you're responsible for their playing time, it's not hard to get their attention. But when you're trying to convince them to play for you, it would be helpful if you understood that all kids (not just NYC kids) are like this and keeping their attention is a challenge. Disdain is usually not helpful. If your recruiting pitch is essentially "you're only good enough to play for Syracuse," that's not going to work well with the kids and it doesn't exactly do much to overcome the second-class image that he claims Syracuse has downstate.
I said it at the time Marrone left: the one guy on the staff that really seemed better suited for the pro game was Moore. Not sure why he didn't jump.

That comment sounds like it comes from a beaten recruiter. Not saying he is necessarily wrong, but I doubt we'd be hearing these gripes on NYC players had he been able to land one or two. Those comments would carry more weight if Rob had actually brought in some top flight talent.

I appreciate Rob Moore as a legacy player. But I've been less than impressed with his coaching/recruiting abilities.

Bingo, I love Moore as a player but as a recruiter hes pretty much been a disaster. From the issues in NJ and now this quote which while he is correct is not something you say in a published article. At this point I think it would be best to get him out of the NY/NJ area its simply not working and if were being honest has been a total failure.

From my seat this isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme. An assistant is probably not the best person to step out like this, but bottom line is he's right. Moore's also been around -- he's not only an alum but also had an NFL career. So I can understand him being a bit insulted by guys who think they're "better" than SU. 'High profile' kids frequently come with attitudes; but none come with guarantees. A few might be worth fussing over, while others should be left to contemplate their own aura -- on the way to mediocre college careers or the bench. Maybe it's something best left unsaid. But with all the turmoil this program has seen lately, this is pretty low on my list of concerns.

From my seat this isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme. An assistant is probably not the best person to step out like this, but bottom line is he's right. Moore's also been around -- he's not only an alum but had an NFL career. And frankly, I can understand being a bit insulted by guys who think they're "better" than SU, especially since many of these kids choosing higher profile programs are either mediocre performers or pine-shiners.

His point is valid and holds true going all the way back to top NYC guys who went other where in the P and Grob days. That being said Moore was not the guy to say it, this was the last thing someone struggling to recruit like he is needed.

Was reading the comments on that article. Its pretty simple why we cant recruit elite players in and out of state. The weather blows in cuse and other successful cold weather programs win, have great fan support, and great facilities. The reason why we can recruit in basketball is because we excel in all the aforementioned points and we played in arguably the best conference in basketball. Not to mention that most quality bball players are from the northeast anyway (where the weather isnt that drastic of a change). Southern ball players that are elite need huge incentives to endure the weather up there. Hopefully the school can make quality investments in the program and the ACC can become what it used to be. Until then, it looks like Cuse will have their bread and butter be developing players, which is cool as long as they turn out to be the pughs and jones' of the world.

Wow - that article was mindbogglingly ill-advised. That is NOT what Shafer has been saying, that was a long-winded emotional excuse for his personal difficulties recruiting. The tone was waaayyyy too negative. The one important point he makes is that nyc kids going to big name national programs have not had the opportuntity to see the playing field as much as they would if they stayed at home - the playing time opportunity as well as the chance to get groomed and get more coaching attention is a big selling point or should be. bu the maanged to turn that into a negative to - basically calling the kids stupid for not seeing that. Well it's his job to help them see that. Very very weak I am sure the other coaches are not pleased.

Wow - that article was mindbogglingly ill-advised. That is NOT what Shafer has been saying, that was a long-winded emotional excuse for his personal difficulties recruiting. The tone was waaayyyy too negative. The one important point he makes is that nyc kids going to big name national programs have not had the opportuntity to see the playing field as much as they would if they stayed at home - the playing time opportunity as well as the chance to get groomed and get more coaching attention is a big selling point or should be. bu the maanged to turn that into a negative to - basically calling the kids stupid for not seeing that. Well it's his job to help them see that. Very very weak I am sure the other coaches are not pleased.

I agree that the same message could have been presented in a far more positive fashion.

Who cares. Any recruit he's referring to isn't coming here and the ones that seriously consider SU know exactly what he's trying to say and aren't going to take offense to any of this.

So he hasn't recruited very well, whatever, not every coach on every staff is going to be a great recruiter. But to say he hasn't done a good job coaching is completely asinine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom