Rotation | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

DPCuse

Starter
I was both pleasantly surprised to see more players getting run but also shocked to see how often Red subbed guys in/out last night. But it made me wonder, how do you ever get any flow with so many substitutions? It didn't seem like he had a group together on the floor for more than 2 minutes last night with the exception of the first 4 minutes of the game.

New coach watching his team put forth an abysmal effort in a circle the wagons game - I'm sure he was searching for anything or any group that looked like they had actually played before. I assume/hope the rotation settles in by the end of the Hawaii tourney.

It's still early, not sure he knows what he has and throw Benny into the mix last night and it's a work in progress.

I think we can all agree he will go deeper on the bench than what JB did but how that plays out we will see.

I also think it comes down to who is the hotter shooter on the particular night, some nights it will be Bell others Taylor but we will need one of them hitting for us to have some success.

you want to keep 10 guys in the game you need to put them in the game. Great we have 2 guards that want to attack but neither is really a pt guard the way they play in the half court.. The more open we get the game the better for us.

I dont think we press very well but at least it hides some of the other flaws like rebounding and shooting if at least we get a few stops.

The faster paced we play the more often we should be subbing. Other teams do it

Think we need to get Hima minutes. Whoever is lining up at 5 needs to at least rebound and put bodies on people. The bar is pretty low with what we've been getting thus far
My only concern with the quick hook is that you run up and down the court twice and you get yanked. Let them play 5 minutes and then sub to stay fresh. It looked like hockey line changes last night. 30-45 seconds...short shifts. Scorers can't get in a rhythm that way.

Think we need to get Hima minutes. Whoever is lining up at 5 needs to at least rebound and put bodies on people. The bar is pretty low with what we've been getting thus far
Hima is hurt right? At this point he hasn't played a single minute.

Hima is hurt right? At this point he hasn't played a single minute.
Not sure if he's hurt, but I think Hima and McLeod are similar players, except McLeod does everything better (despite his ugly game last night), and Red likes Brown at Center instead of PF because he doesn't want to play two guys who can't stretch the defense at all, so there's no minutes for Hima.

with everybody healthy no dude should be on the court 35 mins +. i loved the antiboeheimal rotation .pull them out .rest em. talk to them and send in the fresh horses. kudos to AA.

it must be that McLeod has no low post play at all because they dont even dump it down to him to even see if it opens up the court for cutters or anything else.. He is facing the ball to get the pass but we ignore him.

with everybody healthy no dude should be on the court 35 mins +. i loved the antiboeheimal rotation .pull them out .rest em. talk to them and send in the fresh horses. kudos to AA.
(Starling played 39 minutes)

I am fine with the starters as is but first player off the bench needs to be Maliq at the U16 timeout followed soon after by Copeland, depending on how Bell or Taylor are playing. Assuming Benny can get up to speed, he comes in after. That's the 8 man rotation that will each get 10+ min. Very spot minutes for Cuffe and even less for Carey (pending the opponent and foul trouble, but imagine mostly DNPs).

Can Will Patterson play post defense without getting spun like a top?

it must be that McLeod has no low post play at all because they dont even dump it down to him to even see if it opens up the court for cutters or anything else.. He is facing the ball to get the pass but we ignore him.
He has a solid jump hook out to about 7 feet. Red called the first play in the other game to get him the ball and he scored off it. Otherwise the players are just not interested in getting him involved.

The McLeod I saw last night adds nothing offensively, didn't block many shots and didn't rebound on either end. Hima will at least will grab some rebounds and block shots. I'll take that any day of the week over the performance I saw last night from McLeod. Brown I like but would love to see him at PF more.
Carey...haven't seen enough of him yet to know what he can do.

Carey is in front of Hima. You guys need to let the Hima minutes die. He’s not a P5 player.

Carey is in front of Hima. You guys need to let the Hima minutes die. He’s not a P5 player.
How are making this assertion? I readily admit he struggled a lot in the second half of the season but the guy was a defensive presence in the beginning of the season, is at least a modest rebounder and is certainly a shotblocker

How are making this assertion? I readily admit he struggled a lot in the second half of the season but the guy was a defensive presence in the beginning of the season, is at least a modest rebounder and is certainly a shotblocker
If he was going to be part of the rotation he would have played by now. C’mon.

If he was going to be part of the rotation he would have played by now. C’mon.
That's completely seperate from your claim that Hima is not deserving of a P5 scholarship

I don't think we have a P5 center on our roster. Carey is too light to play half court defense at the 5 against teams with big boy size and Patterson is probably at least a year away from being ready based on his playing time in the exhibitions.

I'm trying to stop dumping on our starting center and Hima should be a "break glass in case of emergency" player on a P5 team with a pulse. Especially if you can't just put him in the middle of a 2-3.

We have plenty of concerns but our best lineup having a 6-7'/6-8' Maliq Brown at center is a big, big problem once we start playing teams that will be in the bracket come March.

He wants to play lots of guys but they have to look alive out there. If guys are gonna go in and not do the little things to win then they need to sit.

Hima isn’t playing because the guys getting paid to coach don’t think he can help. Why do we clamor for guys buried deep on the bench?

Things I am curious about. Can Westry help? Will Benny stay behind JT and if so does Benny become a cancer by pouting.

I'm also very curious about Westry but not expecting a lot (at least initially) since he's been out for a while. Benny will be key to a good season, in my opinion. JT needs to get more shots off. Two big question marks to me is whether Judah can be more of a playmaker than just looking for his own and whether JJ's shooting can improve (but that form concerns me).

I just don't know if we can be consistent enough as a team to be a ncaa tournament team. That's why the D is SO important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom