Rumor mill | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Millhouse said:
anyone who voluntarily went to a game those years deserves praise

Did she? Or was that because she felt compelled to as a local politician?

I'm not saying she can't voice an opinion we all held during that time - I'm just saying it was really unwise.

I have no opinion of miner but I agree that paying for stadiums with public tax dollars is complete and utter bullspit
This is still pretty cool:
University-of-Phoenix.jpg

Im not sure the business environment is any better. I just don't think she is very creative with her ideas. The fact that she bit the hand that feeds just shows me she doesn't know what's she's doing.
She has no business plan, no vision, and no willingness to work with others who don't think exactly the way she does. She caters to the "can't do" mentality that plagues this town. She'd get run out of town in any progressive city.

Vote me in as mayor and I'd have the militia sweep into town in the middle of the night and ship all the negative crybabies to New Jersey. My motto would be - "If you don't like living here, leave or ."

Im not sure the business environment is any better. I just don't think she is very creative with her ideas. The fact that she bit the hand that feeds just shows me she doesn't know what's she's doing.

As a politician? You're right - biting the hand was a clumsy, self-defeating move.

As the administrator of the city, it was the right thing to do, though. Come 2017, she won't have had the opportunity to show off too many creative ideas, but due to her and others, the city will be in better shape than it's been in since the mid-'80s.

Regarding the business environment, things have already improved immensely. I think the coming announcement of a ~1,000-employer regional company relocating to downtown will get some people to recognize the building momentum.

And hopefully the next mayor finds a way to reconcile the need to stand up for his principles with the ability to keep a more personable demeanor (Miner's been awful with that) without alienating the governor.

She has no business plan, no vision, and no willingness to work with others who don't think exactly the way she does. She caters to the "can't do" mentality that plagues this town. She'd get run out of town in any progressive city.

Vote me in as mayor and I'd have the militia sweep into town in the middle of the night and ship all the negative crybabies to New Jersey. My motto would be - "If you don't like living here, leave or ."
Hey, just because we have Christie as a governor doesn't make us all negative crybabies! :rolleyes:

Back to the original rumor...here's one thing to keep in mind. If next football season is truly lost in its entirety, then it has to affect basketball. The entire month of November is a two sport overlap.

If it doesn't affect basketball, then it would be ready by November and we would have at least one, maybe two home games to christen the new building.

My wet dream scenario:

Colgate, USF, FSU at Ralph Wilson.

Retractable roof completed by mid October. We open the damn thing 3:30 ABC on Halloween against Va Tech with the damn thing open and get NCState at the dome later in November.

I'm realistically hoping the venue would not change the outcome of the first three and help us for the last two.

How crazy would the crowd be against VaTech?

Oh please please please. If Coyle and Syverud make this happen...
I'll be the first person to say I'd be very disappointed if VT has to be played off-campus, BUT I'd rather they do this job right and take no short-cuts... even if that means we lose an entire season.

Although honestly I don't know why moving the games is absolutely necessary. Can't they pause construction for 3 1/2 hours on gameday? If a piece of fabric or sheet metal falls, the players are already wearing protective helmets and padding. :noidea:

I'll be the first person to say I'd be very disappointed if VT has to be played off-campus, BUT I'd rather they do this job right and take no short-cuts... even if that means we lose an entire season.

Although honestly I don't know why moving the games is absolutely necessary. Can't they pause construction for 3 1/2 hours on gameday? If a piece of fabric or sheet metal falls, the players are already wearing protective helmets and padding. :noidea:
Makes sense to me.

It's Helmet Day at the Dome. The first 20,000 fans get an authentic helmet so they can feel like a player (and protect themselves from falling debris). Shoulder pads not included.

Regarding the business environment, things have already improved immensely. I think the coming announcement of a ~1,000-employer regional company relocating to downtown will get some people to recognize the building momentum.

HELLO

xc84 said:
This is still pretty cool:
I can't begin to tell you how bad that parking is

As a politician? You're right - biting the hand was a clumsy, self-defeating move.

As the administrator of the city, it was the right thing to do, though. Come 2017, she won't have had the opportunity to show off too many creative ideas, but due to her and others, the city will be in better shape than it's been in since the mid-'80s.

And hopefully the next mayor finds a way to reconcile the need to stand up for his principles with the ability to keep a more personable demeanor (Miner's been awful with that) without alienating the governor.

People forget how bad a mayor Driscoll was and Bernardi wasn't much better. Miner has done more for the city in her 6 years as mayor than either one of those boobs did collectively. I do agree that she doesn't have a lot of diplomacy but we all knew that when she was on the common council.

Land Bank (I've seen on my street alone 4 vacant houses entirely rehabbed because of the land bank)
Inner Harbor & Creek Walk
getting an extra 30 million from Congel
getting SU to pay for city services
not raising property taxes

Back to the original rumor...here's one thing to keep in mind. If next football season is truly lost in its entirety, then it has to affect basketball. The entire month of November is a two sport overlap.

If it doesn't affect basketball, then it would be ready by November and we would have at least one, maybe two home games to christen the new building.

My wet dream scenario:

Colgate, USF, FSU at Ralph Wilson.

Retractable roof completed by mid October. We open the damn thing 3:30 ABC on Halloween against Va Tech with the damn thing open and get NCState at the dome later in November.

I'm realistically hoping the venue would not change the outcome of the first three and help us for the last two.

How crazy would the crowd be against VaTech?

Oh please please please. If Coyle and Syverud make this happen...

I have a hard time thinking anything will affect next season. It is my understanding the pending report is a feasibility study. not a set of design documents. There will need to be a decision on which direction to go, funding, and then (maybe in parallel) a design process, followed by documentation, permitting, bidding, site logistics studies, site scouting and scheduling for the games during construction... needless to say there is a ton to do no matter the direction and as such I don't see this affecting next season. That's not negative, I am very excited, but there are very real logistics that are only in the early phases of thought.

People forget how bad a mayor Driscoll was and Bernardi wasn't much better. Miner has done more for the city in her 6 years as mayor than either one of those boobs did collectively. I do agree that she doesn't have a lot of diplomacy but we all knew that when she was on the common council.

Land Bank (I've seen on my street alone 4 vacant houses entirely rehabbed because of the land bank)

You're congratulating her on the Inner Harbor because COR was selected by default? Let's see what actually becomes of that space before we cast judgment. And just because she's arguably getting more results than Bernardi or Driscoll is not saying a whole lot.

Getting extra $ from Congel? She also played a huge role in obstructing the Carousel expansion back in 2005-2006. I knew a guy back then who moved here as part of an Otis elevator crew working on schematics for the Emerald 5 hotel. People laugh at those renderings but are clueless as to how close they were to securing financing. The hotel was presented to the USGBC earlier that year as well. Had Miner not stalled things, there's a good chance that phase would have been launched and completed prior to the Wall Street collapse in 2007-8.

You admit she has no diplomacy skills. As a mayor of an upstate city, those skills are critical. She is a failure.

Hey, Kelly .. interesting take. Minor's comments (about SUFB) seem harsh now, but (as Milly said) at the time it might have been acceptable to remark that the program was suffering (it was). Also, as I am not a Syracuse resident, I wonder how the whole Congel tax break controversy was resolved (you indicate Minor got more money). But didn't Congel make a payment in lieu of taxes when he started Destiny? I thought the terms were that Destiny would make the payment, avoid PT's for 30 years and build a LEED platinum hotel with +/- 1,500 rooms. He failed to build the hotel, but Miner didn't hold him to the deal and he retained the PT break.

Those are just my impressions as an outsider .. feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

Also, as I am not a Syracuse resident, I wonder how the whole Congel tax break controversy was resolved (you indicate Minor got more money). But didn't Congel make a payment in lieu of taxes when he started Destiny? I thought the terms were that Destiny would make the payment, avoid PT's for 30 years and build a LEED platinum hotel with +/- 1,500 rooms. He failed to build the hotel, but Miner didn't hold him to the deal and he retained the PT break.

Those are just my impressions as an outsider .. feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

The original deal had an out clause that the Mayor's legal team never picked up on. But I think that's missing the point. Contrary to what haters want to believe, there was legitimate momentum to advance on additional phases. Destiny made several extension penalties to the city to keep the phase 2 PILOT alive when they could just have backed out earlier per the written language in the deal. The economics were a lot different back in 2006 when the original deal was struck. If you read between the lines, they were trying to see if a 1000+ room hotel was still viable and eventually determined it was less risky to take the escape clause and continue with further investment at a pace and scale that made more sense given the conservative lending climate that was established post-recession.

But of course, if you read syracuse.com and listened to the mayor you'd think a much different story unfolded.

But didn't Congel make a payment in lieu of taxes when he started Destiny? I thought the terms were that Destiny would make the payment, avoid PT's for 30 years and build a LEED platinum hotel with +/- 1,500 rooms. He failed to build the hotel, but Miner didn't hold him to the deal and he retained the PT break.

The deal with Destiny was already signed before Miner took office. Congel had an out clause to only build part of the project and still get the tax break. Miner worked a deal to get an additional 30million. Congel pulled the plug when the economy tanked.

The original deal had an out clause that the Mayor's legal team never picked up on. But I think that's missing the point. Contrary to what haters want to believe, there was legitimate momentum to advance on additional phases.

Couple of points before you get all worked up - I was always a Destiny proponent and thought Miner when she was on the CC and DeFrancisco were out of their minds to do all they could to block the project. Driscoll was the mayor that signed off on the Destiny deal so ultimately it was his legal team that let Congel have the out clause. I too believed that Congel would have finished the project if he wasn't stonewalled before financing dried up but that's the beauty of Congel, he a cagey effer. I think he's only a figure head now as I don't believe he's in the best of health.

I did not think Miner would be a good mayor but I have been impressed with what she has been able to accomplish. Let me throw in there that she got the Hotel Syracuse deal done too. How long has that place been vacant? And I've seen what is going on with the Harbor, COR has almost completed the hotel. I do agree though they seem pretty slow to get things moving, Len Montreal has been more active in rebuilding there than COR.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject, I understand the divisiveness that people have with Miner.

Back to stadium talk...when is the GD announcement going to be made :eat popcorn:

The deal with Destiny was already signed before Miner took office. Congel had an out clause to only build part of the project and still get the tax break. Miner worked a deal to get an additional 30million. Congel pulled the plug when the economy tanked.

Couple of points before you get all worked up - I was always a Destiny proponent and thought Miner when she was on the CC and DeFrancisco were out of their minds to do all they could to block the project. Driscoll was the mayor that signed off on the Destiny deal so ultimately it was his legal team that let Congel have the out clause. I too believed that Congel would have finished the project if he wasn't stonewalled before financing dried up but that's the beauty of Congel, he a cagey effer. I think he's only a figure head now as I don't believe he's in the best of health.

I did not think Miner would be a good mayor but I have been impressed with what she has been able to accomplish. Let me throw in there that she got the Hotel Syracuse deal done too. How long has that place been vacant? And I've seen what is going on with the Harbor, COR has almost completed the hotel. I do agree though they seem pretty slow to get things moving, Len Montreal has been more active in rebuilding there than COR.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject, I understand the divisiveness that people have with Miner.

Back to stadium talk...when is the GD announcement going to be made :eat popcorn:
Just curious but what did she do for the hotel Syracuse?

I have no opinion of miner but I agree that paying for stadiums with public tax dollars is complete and utter bullspit
What is MORE bullspit...is saying no to the money that was offered for said project..and ONLY for said project just to look like you are in charge. Rochester and Buffalo are enjoying their millions and billions as we speak. Luckily solvay got an amphitheatre out of the State.

anyone who voluntarily went to a game those years deserves praise
What do i deserve for driving home for all home games from Boston where i lived for a short time during 2007-2009? Throw in a few away games to that as well. haha

You can still play nice and not be a biotch. She is a headstrong woman trying to prove something.