Rumor mill | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

What is MORE bullspit...is saying no to the money that was offered for said project..and ONLY for said project just to look like you are in charge. Rochester and Buffalo are enjoying their millions and billions as we speak. Luckily solvay got an amphitheatre out of the State.
Public money for private sports enterprises is one of the great scams of the modern age.

Look at Wisconsin. Cut the budget for the state university system by $250M. Within six months, find $250M for a new arena for the Bucks. Priorities totally out of whack.

Macky44 said:
What is MORE bullspit...is saying no to the money that was offered for said project..and ONLY for said project just to look like you are in charge. Rochester and Buffalo are enjoying their millions and billions as we speak. Luckily solvay got an amphitheatre out of the State.
that's ridiculous too, I agree.

longtimefan said:
Public money for private sports enterprises is one of the great scams of the modern age. Look at Wisconsin. Cut the budget for the state university system by $250M. Within six months, find $250M for a new arena for the Bucks. Priorities totally out of whack.
It's a complete joke. Most enterprises of which are tax exempt too! Nice!

Committed the IDA to cover the developer's gap in financing, in addition to seizing the property.
Was there an ITC (investment tax credit) on the Hotel Syracuse project? I would imagine that is (was) one of the perks dangled in front of developers, since it's an historic structure. And for what it's worth, I think it's a very exciting project for the City of Syracuse and visitors.

You're congratulating her on the Inner Harbor because COR was selected by default? Let's see what actually becomes of that space before we cast judgment. And just because she's arguably getting more results than Bernardi or Driscoll is not saying a whole lot.

Getting extra $ from Congel? She also played a huge role in obstructing the Carousel expansion back in 2005-2006. I knew a guy back then who moved here as part of an Otis elevator crew working on schematics for the Emerald 5 hotel. People laugh at those renderings but are clueless as to how close they were to securing financing. The hotel was presented to the USGBC earlier that year as well. Had Miner not stalled things, there's a good chance that phase would have been launched and completed prior to the Wall Street collapse in 2007-8.

Thank you. You said what I wanted to say and saved me a lot of time.

Was there an ITC (investment tax credit) on the Hotel Syracuse project? I would imagine that is (was) one of the perks dangled in front of developers, since it's an historic structure. And for what it's worth, I think it's a very exciting project for the City of Syracuse and visitors.

Yes, that was another incentive. From my (outsider's) perspective, it was a difficult project to finance. Excellent work and perseverance by the developer and nice support by a number of public entities.

I have a hard time thinking anything will affect next season. It is my understanding the pending report is a feasibility study. not a set of design documents. There will need to be a decision on which direction to go, funding, and then (maybe in parallel) a design process, followed by documentation, permitting, bidding, site logistics studies, site scouting and scheduling for the games during construction... needless to say there is a ton to do no matter the direction and as such I don't see this affecting next season. That's not negative, I am very excited, but there are very real logistics that are only in the early phases of thought.

Not doubting you, but do we know for a fact that these logistical steps are in the early phases?

Michael Benny ‏@MichaelBenny 3m3 minutes ago
SU determines soft roof on @CarrierDome44 can't be replaced. Will need to be hard surface in future. @AlexDunbarNews reports on CBS5 at 5.
Benny changed his tweet. SU didn't like the word "can't" (apparently, soft roof replacement is possible but infeasible). Either way, we're down to 2 options: 1) a hard surface roof; or 2) a new, off-campus facility.
https://twitter.com/MichaelBenny

There is a campus master plan that the Dome renovation will be incorporated into.
http://dailyorange.com/2015/03/sasa...-community-on-progress-of-campus-master-plan/

Last edited:
Not doubting you, but do we know for a fact that these logistical steps are in the early phases?
No facts, but the few posts above this seem to say they have not decided what direction they are going, so I have legitimate doubts the in depth logistics have taken place on all their options. It is fair to assume some preliminary stuff has been investigated in order to back up the feasibility of the options, but not work planning logistics IMO

No facts, but the few posts above this seem to say they have not decided what direction they are going, so I have legitimate doubts the in depth logistics have taken place on all their options. It is fair to assume some preliminary stuff has been investigated in order to back up the feasibility of the options, but not work planning logistics IMO

I may have said this earlier. I have an architect/designer friend that would be knowing if the bid phase and design had started. It hasn't.

There is a campus master plan that the Dome renovation will be incorporated into.
http://dailyorange.com/2015/03/sasa...-community-on-progress-of-campus-master-plan/

I have it from a pretty good source that Sasaki has been told not to address the Dome as part of their Masterplan. I was told Populous was in command of that aspect. They may integrate at a later date, but they are not working arm in arm at the same desk is my understanding. One is in Boston and the other in Kansas City.

What started the excitement was one poster saying the BIG announcement is expected in 2 weeks. We shall see... I'm just hoping whatever it amounts to won't be underwhelming.

I have it from a pretty good source that Sasaki has been told not to address the Dome as part of their Masterplan. I was told Populous was in command of that aspect. They may integrate at a later date, but they are not working arm in arm at the same desk is my understanding. One is in Boston and the other in Kansas City.

Don't mean to contradict your source, but the two firms are already working together to coordinate the Dome into the Campus master plan (as one would expect). Per the link I cited:

Sasaki has also worked with Populous, another firm hired by SU, to look into the future of the Carrier Dome and how it relates to the Campus Master Plan. In an interview, Hensold said Sasaki and Populous have shared information and have held a work session together, with others in the works.

Last edited:
HOK?

Populous is(was) HOK. The old HOK sport division broke off and formed Populous. HOK has gotten back in the game recently, but Populous has the intellectual legacy.

Don't mean to contradict your source, but the two firms are already working together to coordinate the Dome into the Campus master plan (as one would expect). Per the link I cited:

Sasaki has also worked with Populous, another firm hired by SU, to look into the future of the Carrier Dome and how it relates to the Campus Master Plan. In an interview, Hensold said Sasaki and Populous have shared information and have held a work session together, with others in the works.
You don't mean to, but...
No worries, but the article is 6 months old and was a dog and pony show. Of course they are going to say they are working together, but the reality is that they are fairly siloed from what I have been told.

You don't mean to, but...
No worries, but the article is 6 months old and was a dog and pony show. Of course they are going to say they are working together, but the reality is that they are fairly siloed from what I have been told.
True, the article's dated. I have no idea if Populous and Sasaki have been coordinating recently. I guess my point was ... if one firm's doing an overall Campus Master Plan, one would hope they'd coordinate with whoever winds up designing the Dome rebuild (a huge part of campus).

True, the article's dated. I have no idea if Populous and Sasaki have been coordinating since then. I guess my point was ... if one firm's doing an overall Campus Master Plan, one would hope they'd coordinate with whoever winds up building the Dome (a huge part of campus).
But if they are not coordinating, and the masterplan doesn't really know what the Dome is doing... I'm jumping to my own conclusions here, but that implies the masterplan is not utilizing the Dome site for dorms or academic buildings. That says to me the Dome is staying. No facts, just drawn conclusions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom