Rumor mill | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

True, the article's dated. I have no idea if Populous and Sasaki have been coordinating since then. I guess my point was ... if one firm's doing an overall Campus Master Plan, one would hope they'd coordinate with whoever winds up building the Dome (a huge part of campus).

I don't think that NJCuse97 is saying that there is no communication between Sasaki and Populous but perhaps there is no need for Sasaki to alter the masterplan unless there are plans to build a new stadium. If the Dome is only going to undergo renovation Sasaki doesn't need to be involved.

I don't think that NJCuse97 is saying that there is no communication between Sasaki and Populous but perhaps there is no need for Sasaki to alter the masterplan unless there are plans to build a new stadium. If the Dome is only going to undergo renovation Sasaki doesn't need to be involved.
My hero!

It's all speculation right now. There are people pushing for a new stadium at the fair grounds,inner harbor has the best location. Coming from the building council of NYS.

The university is like Sybil now, too many personalities going on. Their has been no bids put out or drawings shown to potential bidders.

Gross made a complete fool of himself by trying to hook up with COR and leaving Cuomo and SUNY in the dark.There were many good reasons why the Mayor shot it down and by Gross jumping the shark before even the basics of setting up a commission on a new stadium was that he tried to get the community behind the project before there was a project. I do know for a fact the university wants to build three new schools up there,but they have a big problem, no land by the quad to build them other than the Domes footprint. They want the students to be able to walk to class and not bused to points off campus.

Last edited:
But if they are not coordinating, and the masterplan doesn't really know what the Dome is doing... I'm jumping to my own conclusions here, but that implies the masterplan is not utilizing the Dome site for dorms or academic buildings. That says to me the Dome is staying. No facts, just drawn conclusions.
I agree with that assumption .. since a Dome relocation would require a massive campus plan re-do. There's a huge footprint in an around the Dome that would change from the ground up -- a scenario I haven't heard anyone designing for (or even contemplating). I get the appeal of other sites ... but building a new facility, and then having to repurpose the old one, would break the bank.

That doesn't mean that there aren't creative opportunities for the existing site ... as your other post pointed out.

Last edited:
It's all speculation right now. There are people pushing for a new stadium at the fair grounds,inner harbor has the best location. Coming from the building council of NYS.

The university is like Sybil now,was too many personalities going on. Their has been no bids put out or drawings shown to potential bidders.

Gross made a complete fool of himself by trying to hook up with COR and leaving Cuomo and SUNY in the dark.There were many good reasons why the Mayor shot it down and by Gross jumping the shark before even the basics of setting up a commission on a new stadium was that he tried to get the community behind the project before there was a project. I do know for a fact the university wants to build three new schools up there,but they have a big problem, no land by the quad to build them other than the Domes footprint. They want the students to be able to walk to class and not bused to points off campus.

The due diligence on all this continues... but sounds like a lean towards renovation.

I can't imagine that the Fairgrounds are still in play. Between the Amphitheater and the announced renovation of the Grandstand/Infield area and Chevy Court, there's no room left.

My thought was that the Dome reno might enlarge the existing footprint, change traffic patterns, involve additional academic activities (like Newhouse, as 97 suggested), etc. In those cases (0r others), Sasaki's campus plan might be affected. Who knows. I'm just trying to deduce from what we know.

Well I can't let you have all the fun...and that's Heroine. ;)
Of course it is! Bone headed mistake. I feel like a Post Standard beat writer! Lol

I can't imagine that the Fairgrounds are still in play. Between the Amphitheater and the announced renovation of the Grandstand/Infield area and Chevy Court, there's no room left.
Yeah,that is pretty much dead,but there was a push for it to go there. Just words at meetings......Ideas to kick start job creation.

My thought was that the Dome reno might enlarge the existing footprint, change traffic patterns, involve additional academic activities (like Newhouse, as 97 suggested), etc. In those cases (0r others), Sasaki's campus plan might be affected. Who knows. I'm just trying to deduce from what we know.
There's enough land around the dome that you could build an outer structure without affecting traffic. Couple that with seats replacing benches, therefore lowering seating capacity.

There's enough land around the dome that you could build an outer structure without affecting traffic. Couple that with seats replacing benches, therefore lowering seating capacity.
Good point. Let's see what design they come up with ... hopefully it'll be nicely integrated with existing campus infrastructure.

I wonder if what the USTA is doing with Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadow might be a model for the Dome. That structure couldn't support a roof, so they are building a new exoskeleton around what they have, supporting the roof with twenty-four 150-foot blue steel columns.

This from last November:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/s...arthur-ashe-stadium-is-taking-shape.html?_r=0

Tennis anyone? OK SU, the ball is in your court. Time for an overhand slam.

The university is like Sybil now,was too many personalities going on. Their has been no bids put out or drawings shown to potential bidders.

has it occured to the school that they could do what's been done a million times by places who want more people in limited land (tall buildings?)

FrancoPizza said:
I'll be the first person to say I'd be very disappointed if VT has to be played off-campus:

You'll be the second (at least). I'll be very depressed if VT isn't playing in the Dome next year.

OrangeXtreme said:

It is not.

Retro, what new schools does the university want to build?

Retro, what new schools does the university want to build?
Sounds like the Med school,and maybe some high tech stuff.
I really didn't want to get real nosey, but that I was told 3 schools are on the Horizon, I wish I could answer that in a positive.

I wonder if what the USTA is doing with Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadow might be a model for the Dome. That structure couldn't support a roof, so they are building a new exoskeleton around what they have, supporting the roof with twenty-four 150-foot blue steel columns.

This from last November:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/s...arthur-ashe-stadium-is-taking-shape.html?_r=0
I am not sure if that is what is shown in CuseLegacy's photo, but that is what I had imagined, except instead of just large columns supporting the roof structure, an actual building with all the modern amenities with a modern look that has the new retractable roof, when open, above it. Obviously the building would have it's own permanent roof.

So the rumor was about an announcement that the administration was contemplating what to do with the dome and not an announcement that there was a concrete plan about the dome and a timeline for completion. So it was announcement that they were thinking about what they had already talked about 8 months ago.

A rumor about an announcement of consideration and contemplation, Got it.

My two cents is that the Dome will be refurbished with a fixed non retractable roof. I believe that the first consideration is the students and access to the games. I dont believe that the dome site provides enough space for the three new planned schools and that you will be seeing other school land such used for those projects. This also comes second hand but from a friend of my Father who is usually in the know.

For my part i would like to see it remain on campus as it adds a feel to the game day experience that i truly enjoy. I like the Quad I like Marshal street and the Varsity and i love the feel of a college game which i believe is greatly enhanced with an on campus venue.

When i lived in KC the games at Arrow head were fantastic and i believe that the same could happen at the inner harbor while providing Syracuse with a much needed boost. Still my choice would be to make the Dome a world class venue and keep in on campus. Either way it looks as though this administration is committed to doing thing right and keeping Syracuse Sports firmly located in the upper tier of collegiate athletics. Its good to be orange!

You'll be the second (at least). I'll be very depressed if VT isn't playing in the Dome next year.
Agreed. That would be one of the worst side effects of some of these potential proposals.