Rumor mill | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Not if it was a configurable, 12 month a year, multi use facility it wouldn't be a terrible investment.

If you are focused just on 6/7 football games in the fall, then yeah you have a point.
not only would it be a terrible idea, it would be completely useless.

ooohhh, i hope its nice out so the roof is open for the billy joel concert!!

go to Fn SPAC then.

ridiculous.

I'd rather see them blow out the side facing 81. Just feels like there's a lot more potential there to do something really spectacular than attaching it to Archibold.
Incorporating Archbold into newer structure brings history back into the building and creates flow into the quad. I am assuming they'll gut the gym area and create a great space for the concessions.

Tell me then, why does Dallas need a fancy roof when 99% of their events have beautiful weather? The utility angle is completely missing the point. This type of investment should be about flaunting cleavage. Recruits get caught up in the cleavage.

Not if the state would pay for it. I want to drool, damn it.

An attempt to use public funds for a new stadium would not of gone over well politically in upstate NY. Most people are not going to like Seeing SU (Private University) using state dollars to improve their stadium infrastructure.

If there is an attempt to use any State money it will go to Science or Technology. I also tend to believe that there aren't many people interested in moving the stadium off campus, regardless of what people on this message board are saying.

You would marry yourself to big money(state and corporate)(IE: Destiny/Congel), and small local business would lose out (Marshall Street).

As far as the students go, part of the allure of the dome is because it is on campus, like the fact we have the largest on Campus Arena in the Country. Students camp out for basketball games. They show up for big games. They will show for football as the program improves. We should be looking for reasons for getting students to games, not discounting them. They are your future Alumni and donors. If you disrespect their interests now, you could lose a generation of SU Athletic support for the future.

Well If they are tying it into Archbold. The design will look like a fixed roof version of this and that aint bad.

lucasstadium.jpg

Last edited:
Tell me then, why does Dallas need a fancy roof when 99% of their events have beautiful weather? The utility angle is completely missing the point. This type of investment should be about flaunting cleavage. Recruits get caught up in the cleavage.

You're comparing a private school in the northeast to the Dallas Cowboys? Not sure if you're serious...

Plenty of room for the Dome to expand East. Just build over the road that runs between The Dome and Archbold.

An attempt to use public funds for a new stadium would not of gone over well politically in upstate NY. Most people are not going to like Seeing SU (Private University) using state dollars to improve their stadium infrastructure. You would marry yourself to big money(state and corporate)(IE: Destiny/Congel), and small local business would lose out (Marshall Street).
How much state money has been funneled to Buffalo, their surrounding region, plus the commitment to build a new NFL facility shortly after they just finished a major $200M renovation? Where's the backlash from that?

I don't care what others like or don't like. SU and the city are so far behind in getting the fair share of pork, it's... there really are no words for it. And I love Marhsall Street, but protecting those small businesses at the expense of creating a huge spin-off economic engine for the region is a bit self-serving IMO.

How much state money has been funneled to Buffalo, their surrounding region, plus the commitment to build a new NFL facility shortly after they just finished a major $200M renovation? Where's the backlash from that?

I don't care what others like or don't like. SU and the city are so far behind in getting the fair share of pork, it's... there really are no words for it.
there was plenty of bellyaching in rochester about the buffalo billion. now rochester gets some photonics stuff that the poobahs are mucking up

in order for state aid to be relevant, there have to be winners and losers. otherwise it just works out where everyone still ends up paying for their own area's stuff. if everyone gets aid and pays for aid, it's pointless.

I'm excited. As soon as any bit of info is told, someone bitches about how something else would be better. Jesus H, no one here knows if it will be spectacular or not, so assume it will be great. Quit bitchin'.

Anyway, doesn't this pick look like a potential blow out if the 81 side, and connected to Archbold?

image-2293416884.jpg

there was plenty of bellyaching in rochester about the buffalo billion. now rochester gets some photonics stuff that the poobahs are mucking up

in order for state aid to be relevant, there have to be winners and losers. otherwise it just works out where everyone still ends up paying for their own area's stuff. if everyone gets aid and pays for aid, it's pointless.
That's the point. People are going to complain - doesn't mean that we should tuck our tail between our legs. We need more people sleeping with the governor besides you know who. We've been the losers for too long. It's time for someone else to "lose".

ooohhh, i hope its nice out so the roof is open for the billy joel concert!!

go to Fn SPAC then.

ridiculous.

In a dome refurb, absolutely. But that's not what I've been talking about.

I don't care what others like or don't like. SU and the city are so far behind in getting the fair share of pork, it's... there really are no words for it. And I love Marhsall Street, but protecting those small businesses at the expense of creating a huge spin-off economic engine for the region is a bit self-serving IMO.

There's NO STATE MONEY. If they want to keep it on campus, they are on their own.

are we really going to compare dallas/fort worth to cny??

and 99% with beautiful weather??

come back when you are ready to discuss things rationally.

That's the point. People are going to complain - doesn't mean that we should tuck our tail between our legs. We need more people sleeping with the governor besides you know who. We've been the losers for too long. It's time for someone else to "lose".

New York State as a whole has been losing for over 30 years. Look at all the ex-pats on this site alone.

There's plenty of other areas where Syracuse can attract state money(science/tech/medical), that can add real economic value to the region, but that's for another thread.

are we really going to compare dallas/fort worth to cny??
Dallas may want to close their roof for 2 games in January. We may want to open our roof for 2 games in September.

GoSU96 said:
There's NO STATE MONEY. If they want to keep it on campus, they are on their own.

More than half the money for the original build of the Dome was a state grant. So is it really impossible?

More than half the money for the original build of the Dome was a state grant. So is it really impossible?

Hugh Carey ain't walking through that door.

That also came with strings. That was really hard to do and a much different environment.

Maybe they can get some, but I thought public funds for any major dome renovation was off the table.