Rumor mill | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Cusefan78 said:
I have no problem replying to this. I have a friend that has seen the plans for a renovation to the dome. Now to be fair my friend isn't very smart. I was told the roof was retractable obviously he was wrong. I was also told the it was either going into the law building or tearing it down obviously the law building was actually archibald. so do I have a few points wrong, yes but hey the wrong info I was fed entertained everyone.

Darn it, I bought a second home in Orchard Park so I could be close to SU games next year because your were so sure!

You are sooo negative. ;)

i'm very pleased about not wasting money on a retractable roof, keeping it on campus, incorporating archbold, building it in a way that allows them to keep using it in the meantime. this seems much more thought through than the craziness from last year or whenever that was.

only thing i wonder about is if creating a large concessions area on one side of the dome will just cause that much more traffic in the concourse. i know it will be offset by increasing the traffic capacity of the concourse by not having concessions lines getting in the way.

sabach said:
Yup. The hard top will be built over the existing dome so no games will be lost. When the hard top is complete, the existing dome underneath will be disassembled.

Exactly as it was described to me. "Over the top of the existing top" we're the exact words.

Millhouse said:
i'm very pleased about not wasting money on a retractable roof, keeping it on campus, incorporating archbold, building it in a way that allows them to keep using it in the meantime. this seems much more thought through than the craziness from last year or whenever that was. only thing i wonder about is if creating a large concessions area on one side of the dome will just cause that much more traffic in the concourse. i know it will be offset by increasing the traffic capacity of the concourse by not having concessions lines getting in the way.

If designed properly it would seem like having a huge concessions area, off the main concourse, would be ideal. Most new stadiums have a food court concept that gets all the foot traffic far off the concourse and into a sort of large alcove or "annex". Sounds like the Dome would implement that concept.

Scooch said:
If designed properly it would seem like having a huge concessions area, off the main concourse, would be ideal. Most new stadiums have a food court concept that gets all the foot traffic far off the concourse and into a sort of large alcove or "annex". Sounds like the Dome would implement that concept.

I can see a food court type thing where archbold is, even a restaurant. But I have to believe some of the existing concession stands will remain because it's a long haul from one end to the other just to grab a beer. Especially basketball which is at the other end.

What it appears to me is that what was rumored a year ago about knocking out the basketball end of the Dome and building out may have been flip flopped and instead of a new structure attached they might have decided to use the existing structure, that being Archbold.

I can see a food court type thing where archbold is, even a restaurant. But I have to believe some of the existing concession stands will remain because it's a long haul from one end to the other just to grab a beer. Especially basketball which is at the other end.

What it appears to me is that what was rumored a year ago about knocking out the basketball end of the Dome and building out may have been flip flopped and instead of a new structure attached they might have decided to use the existing structure, that being Archbold.
What's going to happen to Arch? That's a pretty heavily used facility...

Of course. It would be just another place to cluster food...ideally it would have all the speciality stuff (if they go that route).

AZOrange said:
What's going to happen to Arch? That's a pretty heavily used facility...

Don't know if all or part of Archbold is being integrated. Just thinking conceptually here.

I have to assume the fan rooms that hold the current dome up are going to be converted into AC for the hardtop....I love the Archbold idea.

If it is not a dome then it can't be the Carrier Dome, can it. So who gets naming rights to the new "Stadium?"

Seems more like a stadium with a roof like that
So therefore no longer the Carrier Dome. I wouldn't think one would need to keep calling it by that name. Ca ching.

It's mind boggling how people were drooling over a retractable roof when in makes no sense for Syracuse. It would have been a terrible investment

Not if it was a configurable, 12 month a year, multi use facility it wouldn't be a terrible investment.

If you are focused just on 6/7 football games in the fall, then yeah you have a point.

if you're looking at the front of the stadium now, where would they be expanding the current structure? Out the back?
carrier_dome.jpg

if you're looking at the front of the stadium now, where would they be expanding the current structure? Out the back?
carrier_dome.jpg
That building behind is Archibold, so I guess thats what they mean.

It's mind boggling how people were drooling over a retractable roof when in makes no sense for Syracuse. It would have been a terrible investment
Not if the state would pay for it. I want to drool, damn it.

carrier_dome.jpg

I'd rather see them blow out the side facing 81. Just feels like there's a lot more potential there to do something really spectacular than attaching it to Archibold.

KellySyracuse said:

Yes

I'd rather see them blow out the side facing 81. Just feels like there's a lot more potential there to do something really spectacular than attaching it to Archibold.
Agree 100%. I'm a bit concerned about that change. The side facing 81 had more available space to work with and, if the structure rose high enough, could be visible from the future Miner-Mannion boulevard. I'm glad that things are moving forward, but if they are trying to cut corners that tells me we may not get the 'wow' factor. I should probably just stick to dancing sugar plums when I dream.