Rumor mill | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

SUFaninNJ said:
I'm curious as to how this would impact season tix. I'd rather put my season tix on hold for a year than to have to schlep the extra distance and pay for a hotel. I'd rather they do a mix of locales. Buffalo, Ithaca and Met Life similar to what they did in 79. We did go to a bowl van that year as well!

Fortunately, there's a game at MetLife, UConn and BC next year.

This type of rumor is likely a direct result of a September opening game with temperatures in the Dome in excess of 90 degrees. I'm betting it's just that.. A rumor.

All4SU said:
This type of rumor is likely a direct result of a September opening game with temperatures in the Dome in excess of 90 degrees. I'm betting it's just that.. A rumor.

Don't think that's the case.

:bang:

All4SU said:

The people who have said otherwise are in the know. In them I trust.

My understanding is if it's EFTE, it would be fixed, not retractable.

Here's some facts on EFTE material.

If true, I will be interested in finding out how they are going to deal with snow, and in early games the heat from an ETFE roof(UV coating or other possibilities). The engineering aspects of its construction is what would be my interest. Really care less about shops, other such bells and whistles.

I would not be surprised to see Cuomo come through with some money for this project. And since we know the writers on Syracuse.com regularly grab info from this board I half expect to see this story on their site within the next 24 hours

I know today's a holiday, but I'm expecting something in the next 24 minutes.

I'm interested to see the designs and how the roof would impact basketball. With the EFTE roof, there will probably be shadowing.

Artist rendition of the new Vikings stadium:
MNstadium7.jpg

The firm that is handling the question of what to do about the Dome is Populous. Their forte...EFTE.

Thanks CL! A new dome roof with EFTE and state of the art LED lighting could have the same impact on football and basketball as the original Dome. Let's hope this happens!

It's the nearest legit stadium to Syracuse.

They can't make everyone happy, myself included.

Cornell is closer by a hour. There is room for temp bleachers in the endzones that could get capacity near 30k. I rather have 25k SU fans there than 25k SU fans in a big NFL stadium. It gives us a better home field advantage. Moving FSU and VA Tech to Metlife gives us more media exposure and will aid in recruiting. Playing in Buffalo does nothing for our fans, for exposure, and for recruiting.

Go big or go home should always be university's moto

Syracuse University: Suos Cultores Scientia Coronat

Syracuse University: Vade magna. Aut vade in domum tuam.

Syracuse University: No tationibus excusationibusque extrahitur. Ludere sicut a fortissimus.

Cusefan78 said:
Let's be honest a flat roofed dome Doesn't have a wow factor that a retractable roof gives su. Think about it this was. During the space race did we have to go to the moon, no but we did and that put us as a world leader and showed the world we can do anything. If Syracuse just tosses up a flat roof you're pretty much saying we are not going to go the extra mile. I don't care about data Syracuse needs to be an innovator and replace the dome with an upgrade. Will it be used often I think more the you think. Think lax games and football. Also think about the possible use of the stadium during the spring and summer for other events that could generate income for the university. Right now it sits idle during that period.

I disagree about the psychological value of a retractable roof. And it's just as likely to be mocked when it is announced as it is praised (and we all know why).

But I don't care about that, I care about facts.

Play some HS games and lacrosse with the roof open, but there will still only be a handful of revenue generating events with open sky every year. If SU/NYS wants to pay for that, then cool, it ain't my money.

But stop with the "negative" stuff. I doubt there is any fan on this site who wouldn't totally dig a killer facility with a retractable roof, huge concourses, lots of shopping/concessions, etc. it's just that those things come at a cost. If the state has money or SU has some big donors lined up then build away. If it's gonna cripple our finances for the sake of being "cool" then let's be a bit more prudent.

My personal wish list for a renovated dome include:

1. wider concourses (sounds like this is happening)

2. more leg room so people don't trip over each other to get to the aisles (I doubt this can happen since it would probably require reconstructing the entire seating bowl, which is why I really wanted a brand new dome)

I think the university already stated a retractable roof is not going to be an option. Either way, the retractable part and even the fabric used is not where the major cost hit is. That's in the additional support needed to hold a roof. Look at the mock-ups of the Viking stadium. See all the trusses? They need to be held up by the walls. The Carrier dome was not built to support that. It will have to be bolstered with some sort of wall support.

I would not be surprised to see Cuomo come through with some money for this project. And since we know the writers on Syracuse.com regularly grab info from this board I half expect to see this story on their site within the next 24 hours

I think you are much closer to the truth than you might think on 2 fronts - the VA Med School & the Dome. Lots of discussion/meetings going on for past year between SU & Albany.

"The Governer's Dome"
"The Cuomo Dome"
"The NY College Dome"

Last edited:
I disagree about the psychological value of a retractable roof. And it's just as likely to be mocked when it is announced as it is praised (and we all know why).

But I don't care about that, I care about facts.

Play some HS games and lacrosse with the roof open, but there will still only be a handful of revenue generating events with open sky every year. If SU/NYS wants to pay for that, then cool, it ain't my money.

But stop with the "negative" stuff. I doubt there is any fan on this site who wouldn't totally dig a killer facility with a retractable roof, huge concourses, lots of shopping/concessions, etc. it's just that those things come at a cost. If the state has money or SU has some big donors lined up then build away. If it's gonna cripple our finances for the sake of being "cool" then let's be a bit more prudent.
Have you ever seen Su do anything that will cripple its finances. The reality is you're being negative and feel the need to shoot down any news as a rumor or bs. Disagree all you like but 99% of the fans want the best, the others think of some way to blast everything the university does to better itself. My guess is the state is onboard.

Cornell is closer by a hour. There is room for temp bleachers in the endzones that could get capacity near 30k. I rather have 25k SU fans there than 25k SU fans in a big NFL stadium. It gives us a better home field advantage. Moving FSU and VA Tech to Metlife gives us more media exposure and will aid in recruiting. Playing in Buffalo does nothing for our fans, for exposure, and for recruiting.
If you ever made the trip to Ithaca, it may be closer in miles but on a game day in traffic it would not be easier or more timely to travel to. I would prefer MetLife or Ralph.

Cusefan78 said:
Have you ever seen Su do anything that will cripple its finances. The reality is you're being negative and feel the need to shoot down any news as a rumor or bs. Disagree all you like but 99% of the fans want the best, the others think of some way to blast everything the university does to better itself. My guess is the state is onboard.

You mean besides exactly how the athletic department has been run for the past decade? Meaning, deficit spending.

Many here have heard that a retractable roof is not an option. If things have changed, then things have changed. Question though, where is hoops going to play? Because if this can't be done in the 7 or so months between the end of hoops and a late start to a home football schedule, I'm assuming it can't be done in 9 months either.