Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

got my Syracuse polo on. And my friends that will be there know the score.

I'd be curious to hear what kind of comments you receive now that we are relevant once again! Represent!

You are partially right CL. It was fun, but disappointing for the home town Katy Tigers. Actually, it was probably the best High School game I've ever seen. Katy had a chance to pull ahead with 6 minutes to go in the 4th after an interception, but couldn't get a first on 4th and 10. Questionable call by the Katy head coach going for it on North Shore's 40, particularly after the D had been playing so well the last several series.

So much D1 talent on the field, as well.

NS RB - No. 2 Junior in the nation among all positions
NS WR/Slot (Soph) - offered by Alabama and other big boys since his freshman season. Kid scored 3 TDs
NS Tackle - Between Alabama and Texas
NS DE - Texas Tech
NS CB - Texas Tech
NS LB (Jr) - Several teams. Kid is a monster. Seemed to be in every play
NS Safety - Syracuse commit (that's our boy obviously)
Katy RB - Heavy lean Ohio St
Katy OL - Oklahoma St commit

In any case, Hewitt was much more involved in this game than last. In fact, he snagged an interception on a trick play just before half! Wasn't fooled by the play, came over to support the CB and jumped up to grab the pass (was a halfback pass). Tried to take it to the house but got caught around the 15. That ran out the clock to half.

He also had 2 other pass breakups that I saw and, if I recall correctly, had only allowed 2 catches, one of which he was blanketing the TE but the kid just made a great catch. On another pass play early in the game, the slot got free from his original defender, Hewitt came over to attempt an ankle tackle, but missed.

Also, more importantly, he came up on run support and was involved much more than the first game. Now, this was probably a strategy change by NS this game, as Katy's running game is their bread and butter, normally. He was in the pile several times. However, he did miss a tackle around the 5 yard line which would have resulted in a loss of a yard. He was able to squeeze through several blockers on a pitch left, but, again, missed on the attempted ankle tackle. This eventually led to a Katy TD. And at least one long run I saw him give up on the chase the RB. Not sure why. He was also involved in one tackle on the sideline that could have been late hit out of bounds, but no call. Needs to be careful on that.

All in all, I think he played pretty well and looked more involved. He's still slight for a run-support safety and is not a very vocal player at least compared to NS's MLB (that kid was jawing at everyone, even Katy coaches LOL) and other teammates. This was probably their toughest test until the play Allen in the State final (3 more games :O).

I should note also that North Shore is a 4,000+ student high school in the Galena Park school district on the East side of Houston. They have open enrollment, which means any kid in the school district regardless of where he lives can attend the high school. Like Katy (which doesn't have open enrollment and is around 3,000 kids), they are a powerhouse in their district. Kids go there who want to play football. The fact Hewitt starts on this team (nationally ranked team) is a testament to his skill.

PS. oh, I forgot to mention, he's also on Kickoff coverage, plays the outside contain. The way NS plays coverage, though, he holds back. Didn't matter much because NS's kicker routinely got the ball to the endzone (Texas uses NCAA kickoff rules).

Last edited:
You are partially right CL. It was fun, but disappointing for the home town Katy Tigers. Actually, it was probably the best High School game I've ever seen. Katy had a chance to pull ahead with 6 minutes to go in the 4th after an interception, but couldn't get a first on 4th and 10. Questionable call by the Katy head coach going for it on North Shore's 40, particularly after the D had been playing so well the last several series.

So much D1 talent on the field, as well.

NS RB - No. 2 Junior in the nation among all positions
NS WR/Slot (Soph) - offered by Alabama and other big boys since his freshman season. Kid scored 3 TDs
NS Tackle - Between Alabama and Texas
NS DE - Texas Tech
NS CB - Texas Tech
NS LB (Jr) - Several teams. Kid is a monster. Seemed to be in every play
NS Safety - Syracuse commit (that's our boy obviously)
Katy RB - Heavy lean Ohio St
Katy OL - Oklahoma St commit

In any case, Hewitt was much more involved in this game than last. In fact, he snagged an interception on a trick play just before half! Wasn't fooled by the play, came over to support the CB and jumped up to grab the pass (was a halfback pass). Tried to take it to the house but got caught around the 15. That ran out the clock to half.

He also had 2 other pass breakups that I saw and, if I recall correctly, had only allowed 2 catches, one of which he was blanketing the TE but the kid just made a great catch. On another pass play early in the game, the slot got free from his original defender, Hewitt came over to attempt an ankle tackle, but missed.

Also, more importantly, he came up on run support and was involved much more than the first game. Now, this was probably a strategy change by NS this game, as Katy's running game is their bread and butter, normally. He was in the pile several times. However, he did miss a tackle around the 5 yard line which would have resulted in a loss of a yard. He was able to squeeze through several blockers on a pitch left, but, again, missed on the attempted ankle tackle. This eventually led to a Katy TD. And at least one long run I saw him give up on the chase the RB. Not sure why. He was also involved in one tackle on the sideline that could have been late hit out of bounds, but no call. Needs to be careful on that.

All in all, I think he played pretty well and looked more involved. He's still slight for a run-support safety and is not a very vocal player at least compared to NS's MLB (that kid was jawing at everyone, even Katy coaches LOL) and other teammates. This was probably their toughest test until the play Allen in the State final (3 more games :O).

I should note also that North Shore is a 4,000+ student high school in the Galena Park school district on the East side of Houston. They have open enrollment, which means any kid in the school district regardless of where he lives can attend the high school. Like Katy (which doesn't have open enrollment and is around 3,000 kids), they are a powerhouse in their district. Kids go there who want to play football. The fact Hewitt starts on this team (nationally ranked team) is a testament to his skill.

PS. oh, I forgot to mention, he's also on Kickoff coverage, plays the outside contain. The way NS plays coverage, though, he holds back. Didn't matter much because NS's kicker routinely got the ball to the endzone (Texas uses NCAA kickoff rules).
Thanks for the write up. Always enjoy when some of you can actually watch these kids play in HS.

When’s signing day to lock him up?

Division I Football (Early Period) December 19, 2018 through December 21, 2018

Division I and II Football (Regular Period)February 6, 2019 Final Signing date Division I: April 1, 2019

that game is going to be incredible.

Lake Travis' QB is a junior who is already committed to UT. Their top wideout is Garret Wilson, the number 1 or 2 receiver prospect in the entire country (Ohio St. bound).

North Shore is, of course, loaded as well with the number 1 RB in the nation for the 2020 class.

Gonna be a good one. Hewitt will be put to the test.

that game is going to be incredible.

Lake Travis' QB is a junior who is already committed to UT. Their top wideout is Garret Wilson, the number 1 or 2 receiver prospect in the entire country (Ohio St. bound).

North Shore is, of course, loaded as well with the number 1 RB in the nation for the 2020 class.

Gonna be a good one. Hewitt will be put to the test.

Yep. This game is essentially the State Championship game, one game prior to the actual game.

Anyone have TV or stream info for this game (North Shore v Lake Travis)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom