Said it before about Dungey... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Said it before about Dungey...

Bill Hurley lasted 3 yrs and only sporadically played in 20 or so games for Buffalo and NO. Not a long career at all.

You are correct based on the records.

My recollection was that he played longer than that, but I was wrong.

Hot take alert. It’s the NFL, highest level of football played. Reads and getting the ball out in time are important. So is arm strength. Very few QB’s make an impact with okay arm strength. That’s probably being conservative.

Hot take, the college RPO system is taking over the NFL as well as the 38 year yo offensive coach. a coach wo qualifications to be an NFL head coach and a coach with no experience leading a group of men. Nit only men, pros! The narrative the past few years is hey, we can arm you with a veteran D coach and the rest of the veteran staff will help you with logistics. just get the O going yup, McVeigh and Phillips...

Point is, talented college qbs that thrive in the rpo system will get shots. The offensive rules are even more friendly in the pros as compared to college and the best defense's across America dont have an answer for tempo and RPO saban went to the NCAA years ago with beilema to try and get the tempo, rpo offenses in college banned. Nope, and his defenses havent been the same since. honestly, the Bama defenses, all the meathead, lineup and play with 9 guys in the box against the power eye days are over and even saban hasn't adjusted yet. Thus, YES, ED might get a legit shot!

Hot take alert. It’s the NFL, highest level of football played. Reads and getting the ball out in time are important. So is arm strength. Very few QB’s make an impact with okay arm strength. That’s probably being conservative.
Peyton Manning certainly had a great career with an average arm.

Btw, when his feet are set, ED doesn't lack arm strength.

You are correct based on the records.

My recollection was that he played longer than that, but I was wrong.
No Problem. Still loved him as SU QB when I was really young.

I think ED has pretty good velocity. So did Manning. You’re also talking about one guy who was incredible at everything else. 90% of average arm strength QB’s don’t make it in the NFL, except as backups.

Hot take, the college RPO system is taking over the NFL as well as the 38 year yo offensive coach. a coach wo qualifications to be an NFL head coach and a coach with no experience leading a group of men. Nit only men, pros! The narrative the past few years is hey, we can arm you with a veteran D coach and the rest of the veteran staff will help you with logistics. just get the O going yup, McVeigh and Phillips...

Point is, talented college qbs that thrive in the rpo system will get shots. The offensive rules are even more friendly in the pros as compared to college and the best defense's across America dont have an answer for tempo and RPO saban went to the NCAA years ago with beilema to try and get the tempo, rpo offenses in college banned. Nope, and his defenses havent been the same since. honestly, the Bama defenses, all the meathead, lineup and play with 9 guys in the box against the power eye days are over and even saban hasn't adjusted yet. Thus, YES, ED might get a legit shot!

Define taking over. Are some young coaches being hired, sure. Are some coaches with no HC experience being hired, sure. Is the RPO being run in the NFL, sure. So what. Just because it’s happening at some teams, there are just as many teams hiring old defensive coaches.... Broncos.

You’re exaggerating a movement.

Define taking over. Are some young coaches being hired, sure. Are some coaches with no HC experience being hired, sure. Is the RPO being run in the NFL, sure. So what. Just because it’s happening at some teams, there are just as many teams hiring old defensive coaches... Broncos.

You’re exaggerating a movement.

No, actually, we are talking on the same wavelength. the movement is happening, that's ED 's opportunity. 5-7 years ago he probably doesnt have a shot.

Good point, and Peyton threw from the pocket , these RPO systems protect the qbs and put them in situations to make plays.

You are almost certainly correct.

I don't think ED is as fast as ex-SU QB Hurley, who had a long career as an NFL safety, either.

The "armored-up" Eric Dungey is definitely not as fast as Bill Hurley was. Then again, I don't think any of McNabb, McPherson and Graves was as fast as Hurley either.

Hurley was one hell of an athlete. But nowhere near as big and burly as Dungey. And couldn't throw nearly as well as Eric or McNabb.

Bill wasn't going to truck a linebacker, or put a DB out of the game by lowering his shoulder and ramming him.

But like Dungey, great leader, great instinctual runner.

Please no, Dak sucks

Dak is 32-16 as an NFL starter in three years, 10k passing yards, 67 passing TDs, 18 rushing TDs, he has played in a Pro Bowl, and his team is two wins from the Super Bowl. I love Dungey but let’s be real.

Eric can play there but as I have said before he has to change somethings he does. He definatly isn’t a pure pocket passer and does not like stepping up into pocket to get more time to throw, at that point he is looking to run not pass which isn’t always good at that level. Doesn’t scan field well either. I think in his head he has a 3 sec clock going and after 3 he is looking to get out. These are correctable things but will take time. Rarely throws with good form even from the pocket but when he does is almost always successful. Clearly clearly clearly had a injury this year which slowed him and us down. I could see a massive improvement next level just by being healthy. Kid has balls of steel and I hope it gets him to Nfl. He deserves his dreams and hope it happens.

^^^ Interesting no one has responded to this post. Pretty much all QBs come into the league with flaws but the list above is a who's who of QB talents who from an accuracy standpoint was no better than ED.
When all is said and done, even NFL GMs get QB assessments wrong,. ED will hopefully get a chance, here is hoping it works out.

I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Donovan McNabb...58.4%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%
I just looked at this thread, so I'll respond. The game is different than when most of those qb's played. Allen is the exception. The types of passes those guys were throwing was different. The quick WR screen that is now an extension of the running game was barely used then. That's a huge bump in completion percentage. Why do you think there are so many qb's breaking completion percentage records the last 5 years? Is everybody suddenly more accurate than Peyton Manning? Let's compare ED's completion percentage to his contemporaries, if we're going to use numbers.

In 1997 Tim Couch led the country with a 66.4% completion percentage.
In 2018 4 qbs had 70% or better and # 10 was 67.4%

With a lower completion percentage McNabb averaged about 2 more yards per attempt than ED. The passing game is completely different now.

I see a lot in this thread about how ED's arm strength and accuracy are just fine when he sets his feet. I saw some of that too. The problem is that he is inconsistent with that even when he isn't pressured. I think he has some happy feet from the inconsistent line play he dealt with throughout his career. Can he learn to trust a line and deliver with good mechanics consistently? Maybe, if a team is willing to give him time. Even then the really good qb's in the NFL are still accurate in less than ideal circumstances.

People also want to say he doesn't need elite arm strength because guys like Peyton Manning did just fine without it. Peyton did it with one of the best mental games in the history of the league. He read defenses and anticipated everything better than almost anyone. That's a lofty expectation to place on any qb and ED didn't show signs of that in his career.

I think someone with give him a chance as a FA. I don't think he'll ever be a starter and will struggle to be a long time backup. I just don't think he sees the field well enough to go beyond that level. I hope he proves me wrong because he has been the player most responsible for our turn around and will always be a legend here. If he doesn't, that's fine with me too. Some of my favorite SU players were great in college but not able to make it in the league.

I'd imagine all Eric, his agent and his trainers are working on right now is arm strength and accuracy. Making all of the throws necessary for his open and private workouts. On repeat.

He has the scrambling and creativeness part down, for whatever that's worth.

Ring... Ring... Ring
Front Desk "Hello, this is the law office of Jacoby and Meyers".
Eric Dungy "I'd like to sue Dino Babers for 99% of his contract extension"

The question is how much better a passer is he than Bobby Douglas.

There were a few games in his career where Dungey did look like an adequate or even good passer. But there were others where he really was Bobby Douglas or worse.

Would an NFL team take a chance on him believing that he could be made into an accurate passer?
Bobby Douglas threw too hard - he had massive arm strength.

Dungey does not have an NFL arm

Bobby Douglas threw too hard - he had massive arm strength.

Dungey does not have an NFL arm
Yeah, maybe so… but I’d give a hell of a lot to have him pull on an Orange jersey again.

Absolutely!

Eric Dungey wins that game yesterday.
dungey had it all except the great arm, devito has the great arm and well...

i get why everyone wants a dual threat guy as a result, i still think there are plenty of air raid style guys that can chuck it around and figure out where to go with the ball but it's hard to be that optimistic about devito's light bulb going on specifically

dungey had it all except the great arm, devito has the great arm and well...

i get why everyone wants a dual threat guy as a result, i still think there are plenty of air raid style guys that can chuck it around and figure out where to go with the ball but it's hard to be that optimistic about devito's light bulb going on specifically
DeVito’s apparent lack of game savvy is a real problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom