Schedule Rumors | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Rumors

UConn is a game we have nothing to gain.
Only frustration.

It’s not a good series. Wildhack divides the fanbase with this series.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm honestly curious, what happened when you went to a game at the Rent that has you so fired up? I feel like your memories of it are similar to Rambo having flashbacks to Vietnam in First Blood.

I don’t see it as legitmizing them as much as I don’t want to interact with pond scum fans if we have a choice.

Their fans don’t go to the games at the Dome and their fans would be more inclined to go to their own stadium to see us play than they would an a American team.
The game does nothing for us. We can get games with UMass and Buffalo and have to deal with terrible fans.

Uconn pretty much gave up on football. I don’t think they really have fans anymore. I bet there will be as many SU fans as UConn fans there. They don’t care anymore.

UConn is a game we have nothing to gain.
Only frustration.

It’s not a good series. Wildhack divides the fanbase with this series.

lol. I’d bet 98% of SU fans don’t know or care who we’re playing until the season schedule comes out and don’t give scheduling any kind of thought beyond “why don’t we play Florida or LSU or something? These teams suck!“

A 1 for 1??

get a doormat in Ohio/Illinois/a state where there’s significant Prospect talent.

Jesu, Uconn is uninspiring at best

Uconn pretty much gave up on football. I don’t think they really have fans anymore. I bet there will be as many SU fans as UConn fans there. They don’t care anymore.
Oh they'll come out like cockroaches... they'll get a huge crowd of 25K and get liquored up for us. We'll have 5K of the crowd. It'll be glorious when we lay 58 on them.

Last edited:
I'll enjoy beating them down in '22 and filling out the schedule with another beat down in '23

If you don't mind me asking, I'm honestly curious, what happened when you went to a game at the Rent that has you so fired up? I feel like your memories of it are similar to Rambo having flashbacks to Vietnam in First Blood.
First off not a good comp. Be better.
Second, 2005 Friday night UConn game.
That fanbase threw open bottles at the tailgate I was. They were arrogant , rude to visiting SU fans who were minding their own business and thought they were king chit because their program rose so quickly.
They are disgusting fans. Thankfully their program has gone down the toilet so their morons don’t go anymore.

It’s a terrible environment. The series does nothing for our fans as a nonconference game. We can schedule other teams in better areas.
If we got a 2 for 1 okay.
They aren’t worth a 1 for 1 but comeback at me with a nice burn.

My take on playing Uconn and others in our region is different. The argument is that by playing them we legitimize their program. My take is that by destroying them we devalue their program in the eyes of recruits. I hope we beat them like a drum. I would schedule them as often as possible.

We should schedule nonconference games with Coastal division ACC teams before playing UConn home/home.
I would love to play Miami/UNC/Duke/VPI/UVA/GT more often than playing UConn.

I do.

2 wins.

That's a program that's in a world of hurt. The odds that they're competitive in the future are low.

They'll still count as one win each season we play them.
Hope your right. I just can’t stand the thought of losing to those schmucks

We should schedule nonconference games with Coastal division ACC teams before playing UConn home/home.
I would love to play Miami/UNC/Duke/VPI/UVA/GT more often than playing UConn.
Those are more interesting games.

But they're less likely wins.

My opinion is as follows:

We have 8 conference games and an FCS game each season. There will be 4 home conference games and the home FCS game every season.

The other 3 opponents are going to be FBS. In a perfect world, one will be a P5 opponent that we will play home and home. The other 2 will be G5 type opponents.

We have to schedule 2 of these G5 type games every season. These are the ones that will make or break our goal of having 7 home games every season. To achieve our goal, we can afford to play one G5 opponent away every other year, when we play our P5 opponent at home.

A good goal would be a schedule model like this:

Year 1
8 ACC games
P5 opponent away
G5 type opponent 1 home
G5 type opponent 2 home
FCS opponent home
7 home games

Year 2
8 ACC games
P5 opponent home
G5 type opponent 1 away
G5 type opponent 2 home
FCS opponent home
7 home games

Year 3
8 ACC games
P5 opponent away
G5 type opponent 1 home
G5 type opponent 2 away
FCS opponent home
6 home games

Year 4
8 ACC games
P5 opponent home
G5 type opponent 3 home
G5 type opponent 4 away
FCS opponent home
7 home games

Year 5
8 ACC games
P5 opponent away
G5 type opponent 3 home
G5 type opponent 4 home
FCS opponent home
7 home games

Year 6
8 ACC games
P5 opponent home
G5 type opponent 3 away
G5 type opponent 4 home
FCS opponent home
7 home games

If you can book 2 for 1s for the G5 type games, you can have 7 home games a year 5 our of 6 seasons. If you can book some home only series, it is possible to always schedule 7 home games a season.

In order to do this, we need FBS opponents who are willing to do two for one series or home only series.

Based on what I am seeing with our scheduling, I don’t think there are many G5 schools willing to do this with a school like Syracuse, whose small home capacity precludes big payouts. Maybe the additional money that is coming from the ACC network will help, but just about everyone in P5 leagues is flush with cash, so I don’t see it happening. As an example, UB is doing home only series with schools like Penn State and Auburn. I don’t think they want to do this with us. I don’t think we can compete with the guarantees schools with giant stadia can offer.

if we can’t find opponents who will play us two for one or home only, then I want to do one for ones with opponents whose location makes sense.

I would want opponents whose stadia are easily drivable from CNY or are located in prime recruiting areas for Syracuse. And ideally, I want schools we should be able to beat 99 times out of 100.

So if we must do home and homes to fill out the schedule with FBS opponents, let’s target schools like UMass, UConn, pretty much anyone in the MAC, Army, Navy and Temple.