Scott Frost thread... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Frost thread...

Haha - scroll to 4:49 of this video.

"Frankly that's a dumb question."

Might be a little thin-skinned. Or maybe he just doesn't give a poo.

"Would you call anything differently in the last 2 drives" It is a dumb question, they lost of course he would call it differently. I'm sure we can fine fun little clips of just about every HC-OC-DC in college and pros saying something we don't like

Earlier in the thread I posted a speech that showed a dry sense of humor and humility. I think he's a bit like Shafer in that he doesn't love talking to the media.

Huh. From what I've seen so far, Frost presents as measured, reserved, low key, and, if anything, annoyed but polite. Shafer typically seemed highly emotional (good and bad), always wore his heart on his sleeve, unpolished, and generally uncomfortable with the media - especially when confronted.

After watching a number of interviews with Frost, he's certainly not Mr. Personality. I usually prefer a head coach with a lot of energy as the team is a reflection of the HC. But he is intense, which is good. And I still value intelligence over anything, and he seems like a fairly bright guy I think. No question he's seen first-hand how some of the best coaches in the history of the sport do it.

I still prefer Babers and Lincoln Riley over Frost but we'll see how it goes.

That seems to be Frost's major criticism. It's just not 1 person commenting on his personality, but basically anyone who has interviewed him, or knows him says the same thing. They usually say he comes off "ly", or "standoffish", and "different". But then the people that get to know him on a personal level say once you get to know him he has a dry sense of humor, and is a good guy. I don't see it as a huge problem since most HC's could be described like that. How would you describe Bellicheck? Probably the same exact way, even to his personality once you get to know him. Not saying he's Bellicheck, but I don't think his personality should be a major deterrent. Usually it's the NFL HC's that could be described that way, and CFB HC's are more outgoing, charismatic (minus Saban) because they have to recruit, and schmooze up to boosters. It could go both ways. If he is successful, who cares. If things go bad, it could go downhill quickly. Just another reason why I wouldn't mind Coyle doing more of an extensive search where he is able to interview multiple coaches, but if he has zeroed in on Frost, and their is mutual interest i'm 110% on board.

Last edited:
That seems to be Frost's major criticism. It's just not 1 person commenting on his personality, but basically anyone who has interviewed him, or knows him says the same thing. They usually say he comes off ". . . . . ly", or "standoffish", and "different". But then the people that get to know him on a personal level say once you get to know him he has a dry sense of humor, and is a good guy. I don't see it as a huge problem since most HC's could be described like that. How would you describe Bellicheck? Probably the same exact way, even to his personality once you get to know him. Not saying he's Bellicheck, but I don't think his personality should be a major deterrent. Usually it's the NFL HC's that could be described that way, and CFB HC's are more outgoing, charismatic (minus Saban) because they have to recruit, and schmooze up to boosters. It could go both ways. If he is successful, who cares. If things go bad, it could go downhill quickly. Just another reason why I wouldn't mind Coyle doing more of an extensive search where he is able to interview multiple coaches.

As long as he's not expected to do his own fundraising, which is just insane, this stuff is so overblown. He's hired to coach your team, not be gladhander in chief.

Who cares if he's not a guy that you want to have a beer with?

As long as he's not expected to do his own fundraising, which is just insane, this stuff is so overblown. He's hired to coach your team, not be gladhander in chief.

Personally, I don't. I'm just pointing out what could be looked at as his "negatives".

I agree with this to a degree. Coyle will be the face of fundraising anyway (part of the reason he was hired). Behind closed doors, the HC needs to motivate, connect with, and demand/command respect from, the players and staff. I expect that Coyle will fully vet this aspect of his hire.

I am also aware that Coyle and Syverud value the "face" of the program personna of the HC, especially as this relates to how polished he is with the media and his deportment during PCs. I think there is a clear mandate to be conscious of cleaning up the image and sophistication of the athletic program in particular. In this respect, Frost's low key, measured response style would seem to be a fit.

There are a few coordinators I wouldn't mind rolling the dice with. Frost happens to be 1 of them. If Coyle can some how pair HC Frost up with AHC/DC EO then I would call it a grand slam.
If they both think about it, the situation would be ideal for both of them. Frost would have someone to bounce idea's off of, on how to attack certain defenses. EO would be able to show almost all the defenses out their, a win win situation for both.

"Would you call anything differently in the last 2 drives" It is a dumb question, they lost of course he would call it differently. I'm sure we can fine fun little clips of just about every HC-OC-DC in college and pros saying something we don't like

I loved the response. I would also love to see some of the Sub Standard reporters ask him some dumb questions just so I could hear the response.

Something tells me if he is hired, I will get my wish.

Just simple math. Jobs available minus coaches percieved value

Thankfully your feeling is based on something I'm not worried about.

007 said:
Huh. From what I've seen so far, Frost presents as measured, reserved, low key, and, if anything, annoyed but polite. Shafer typically seemed highly emotional (good and bad), always wore his heart on his sleeve, unpolished, and generally uncomfortable with the media - especially when confronted.

Re-read what I wrote. I said they were alike in that they didn't like dealing with the media.

Re-read what I wrote. I said they were alike in that they didn't like dealing with the media.

Yeah, I got it Cusian (even without re-reading). I was pointing out the differences between the two styles in dealing with the media, regardless of whether your assumption that they don't "love" it is correct or not.

007 said:
Yeah, I got it Cusian (even without re-reading). I was pointing out the differences between the two styles in dealing with the media, regardless of whether your assumption that they don't "love" it is correct or not.

Right. I was pointing out the one way they were alike. Not the 80 ways they are not.

Right. I was pointing out the one way they were alike. Not the 80 ways they are not.

"Right" - something you have not been very often since the start of the season.

007 said:
"Right" - something you have not been very often since the start of the season.

Hopeful and wrong > Miserable and right

But way to change the subject. You picked this odd little fight with me, remember?

There are a few coordinators I wouldn't mind rolling the dice with. Frost happens to be 1 of them. If Coyle can some how pair HC Frost up with AHC/DC EO then I would call it a grand slam.

If Mark Coyle can pull this off he would become Yoda Cuse!
yoda.gif

Oregon's about to win.
The PAC appears to be similar to the XII... lots of offense, not so much defense.

Mark could head to Hancock at 4:00/5:00 tomorrow and meet with Scott Frost on Sunday.

The PAC appears to be similar to the XII... lots of offense, not so much defense.
Or maybe the defenses are like every other league, but the offenses are just superior.

EO has never called a defense nor does it seem like he's interested in that role. We gotta let that go

Or maybe the defenses are like every other league, but the offenses are just superior.
As someone who likes a solid defense and some exciting offense, sloppy/leaky defenses just don't do too much for me.

Nice to see that Wanstache has a paying gig.

Moontan said:
As someone who likes a solid defense and some exciting offense, sloppy/leaky defenses just don't do too much for me. Nice to see that Wanstache has a paying gig.

Pac12 is better defensively than the B12. Oregon scores a bunch and forces you to pass a lot to play catch up.

The one thing I do like about Frost that's also a positive is he has coached on both sides of the ball.

Frost took a position at Northern Iowa in 2007 as linebackers coach before being elevated as the Panthers’ co-defensive coordinator one year later. His defense finished the 2008 season tied for third in the Football Championship Subdivision in takeaways (40) and ninth in the country in scoring defense (17.7 ppg). With a 12–3 record, they also led the Missouri Valley Football Conference in rushing defense (107.1 avg.) and scoring defense.

Would we all like prior HC experience? Of course.
That said, if Mark is convinced that Frosty's the man then I'm good with it.
Think offense, hope/insist that he hires a decent DC & staff and go with it.

Daoust could be a great DC candidate as he brings a level of continuity. Dacosta & White could be retained from a recruiting standpoint. See if Markus Paul is interested in S&C.

Would we all like prior HC experience? Of course.
That said, if Mark is convinced that Frosty's the man then I'm good with it.
Think offense, hope/insist that he hires a decent DC & staff and go with it.

Daoust could be a great DC candidate as he brings a level of continuity. Dacosta & White could be retained from a recruiting standpoint. See if Markus Paul is interested in S&C.
Wow, didn't realize Paul has 5 SB rings as an Asst. S&C coach. If he had any interest, I'd be completely on board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom