Sean Tucker On Returning In 2022/Play calling | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Sean Tucker On Returning In 2022/Play calling

To me the concept of the portal is fine but how it was rolled out without a better set of rules in place is the problem. I mean how hard is it to map out potential "use case scenarios " to make sure you are contemplating everything within a world of reasonableness and then frame a compliance/rule structure around it?

what rules would you suggest?

not disagreeing that their should or shouldn’t be better rules necessarily...but I think the idea that you should inact rules that determine what‘s bad decision is really difficult

what rules would you suggest?

not disagreeing that their should or shouldn’t be better rules necessarily...but I think the idea that you should inact rules that determine what‘s bad decision is really difficult
So to me the one that I would try to frame would be a date in season somewhere. So perhaps say if you have not submitted by Aug 25th(pick any date prior to start of season), then player cannot enter until (fill in date). Nov 15th? Nov 1? Not sure. I think you can lose players to injury in season, suspension, now Covid, personal reasons (maybe a player family issue he/she goes home for), academics. Lots of ways in season for a team to be depleted. Adding a free portal path at anytime creates just an additional element of instability. That said if during the final weeks they want a better early chance to find a new school to get an early jump for January enrollment that seems fair for the student but it shouldn't be completely open during the whole season. So directionally something that is fair to the players and the team.

Oh, poor us. We can’t possibly have a good player. He’ll surely go to the SEC.

Yeah….SEC fans don’t do that. They delusionally all think their school will win the national title every year, and threaten to kill people when it doesn’t happen. But they don’t go all losery Costanza and talk their best players into thinking of going elsewhere.

“Low T board” - GoSU96.

So to me the one that I would try to frame would be a date in season somewhere. So perhaps say if you have not submitted by Aug 25th(pick any date prior to start of season), then player cannot enter until (fill in date). Nov 15th? Nov 1? Not sure. I think you can lose players to injury in season, suspension, now Covid, personal reasons (maybe a player family issue he/she goes home for), academics. Lots of ways in season for a team to be depleted. Adding a free portal path at anytime creates just an additional element of instability. That said if during the final weeks they want a better early chance to find a new school to get an early jump for January enrollment that seems fair for the student but it shouldn't be completely open during the whole season. So directionally something that is fair to the players and the team.
doesnt sound unreasonable but I’m sure there would be ways around it just like the previous waiver rule. The old “my aunt is sick.

Big difference between the NBA example and the portal is the NBA HS players who choose that path are often being led to believe they will get drafted and sign a big contract. The people around them pushing for them to skip college and a degree are looking out for their own financial interests.

Also the amount of players stuck in the portal going nowhere right now is significantly greater than the amount of HS players trying to jump to the NBA. In a couple years when CFB players see that a large % of players that go to the portal don’t get the intended result, I think the % entering will decrease.
I don't know. Football players have guys in their ear too. I'm sure some are being told they'll get more NIL opportunities here and help draft status there. My main point is, young people often don't learn from other people's mistakes. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out in a few years.

Many programs have fans who have made death threats. And yet recruits keep lining up to play there. But apparently some vague sense of “negativity” has crippled our program.

Syracuse University should be paying us by the post for the amount of inane interest we have in this program compared to the guys raking leaves at this point.

4 win seasons in 20. Still here.

What’s bizarre is them asking players if they are returning when the season isn’t even over. And they should care about timing. It’s a question they could have asked any time during the season or after the season. But let’s stir the pot.
Yep. Was puzzled with this myself. Its one thing if fans are careless. Bit more dangerous when media is.

Transferring is a risk for someone in Tucker's position. Who's to know if he'll be the feature back or featured in the way he has been here? SU is a known commodity for him. There's something to be said for that. IF he doesn't go pro, there's probably limited benefit going elsewhere. The Walker situation is not a one-to-one comparison because Clawson likes to always use multiple backs. How many carries did our back-ups get this year?
There's the chance that the factories make more promises than roster spots available. Some kids will be left out in the cold and that sucks.

My issue is with critiquing the media asking Tucker about the portal. Forgive me but guys entered the portal in season. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask about it prior to end of season.

If I was with the post standard the editor would be mad if I didn’t ask if I had access to Tucker.

The program is in a bad spot because it has interesting assets who will be wasted if we don’t bowl this year. Tucker didn’t get a doak finalist which is criminal. If he left for say Wisconsin or Texas he would be a finalist. That takes money out of his pocket.

These guys are professionals now. I don’t think people have made the correlation yet that they are perpetual free agents. I hate the portal and NIL as a fan because it will trip us up at some point

If he leaves for Wisconsin or Texas, he's not as smart as I think he is. Those programs have top end starters entrenched at RB. You don't transfer somewhere to, at best, split carries.

Yep. Was puzzled with this myself. Its one thing if fans are careless. Bit more dangerous when media is.
it is not the media‘s job to make sure Tucker stays at Syracuse. There’s absolutely nothing dangerous about their questions. This is standard sports talk everywhere in the country.

it is not the media‘s job to make sure Tucker stays at Syracuse. There’s absolutely nothing dangerous about their questions. This is standard sports talk everywhere in the country.
Eh would be nice if they didn’t prod players with questions about transferring/moving on right before our biggest game of the season and likely Dino’s career.

But the media’s driven by clicks and not athletic program success.

Do people really think that media in SEC and B1G markets aren’t asking the high profile recruits who aren’t starting if they’re considering the portal? Or media in low P5 or G5 aren’t asking stars the same? It’s only in Syracuse that media could possibly think of asking such questions?

You guys gotta get our more.

Do people really think that media in SEC and B1G markets aren’t asking the high profile recruits who aren’t starting if they’re considering the portal? Or media in low P5 or G5 aren’t asking stars the same? It’s only in Syracuse that media could possibly think of asking such questions?

I don't know. Local media here in Knoxville would probably get crucified if they were doing that. They know who butters their bread here.

If he leaves for Wisconsin or Texas, he's not as smart as I think he is. Those programs have top end starters entrenched at RB. You don't transfer somewhere to, at best, split carries.
Great point. He’s #1 here. Why become #2, #3 or #4…….and then have to play against very strong defenses?

Last edited:
Great point. He’s #1 here. Why become #2, #3 or #4…….and then have to play very strong defense?
Well I saw Russ Wilson transfer to Wisconsin, I've seen Joe Burrow transfer to LSU.

Great players who want to move on will play wherever. I'm not sure why Tucker would be incapable of moving to a higher profile school if the need was there. I was just spitballing on schools but it's not inconceivable a program found itself shallow at RB suddenly.

It’s not about the asking…by all means, the media can ask away. For me it’s more about the fanbase reaction to those questions. Asking Tucker or whomever if they’d consider transferring, is valid and legit. Acting like it’s a foregone conclusion because after all, “ we’re Syracuse”, is the part that I can’t fathom.
The whole “woe is us” attitude is e ffing tired and pathetic. JMHO.

Well at least I still have a working ps3
IMG_20211124_195034062~2.jpg

Well I saw Russ Wilson transfer to Wisconsin, I've seen Joe Burrow transfer to LSU.

Great players who want to move on will play wherever. I'm not sure why Tucker would be incapable of moving to a higher profile school if the need was there. I was just spitballing on schools but it's not inconceivable a program found itself shallow at RB suddenly.

Wilson lost his job to Mike Glennon.

Burrow was being a couple guys I think Tate Martell was ahead of him on the depth chart at one point.

There aren't really good teams with really bad RBs its not like QB where the competition is easy to identify. And the NFL doesn't pay RBs why would college?

Wilson lost his job to Mike Glennon.

Burrow was being a couple guys I think Tate Martell was ahead of him on the depth chart at one point.

There aren't really good teams with really bad RBs its not like QB where the competition is easy to identify. And the NFL doesn't pay RBs why would college?
The teams that lost Wilson and Burrow whiffed big time not realizing what they had

Colleges are going to scout like the nfl now bc they are free agents. Big time school will push aside their RBs if a guy like Tucker can come in and run better.

The world changed. I’d be shocked if SEC, Big 10 teams weren’t sniffing around on him

The teams that lost Wilson and Burrow whiffed big time not realizing what they had

Colleges are going to scout like the nfl now bc they are free agents. Big time school will push aside their RBs if a guy like Tucker can come in and run better.

The world changed. I’d be shocked if SEC, Big 10 teams weren’t sniffing around on him
And maybe these bigtime programs will explain to him that the big awards are reserved for their players, like the Heisman and all the money that comes with it. They will never give anything to a floundering half-in program.

So you agree that the comments from a couple dozen people on this board doesn’t uniquely cripple our program compared to every other one in the country?
Let’s flip this. Regardless of any tangible effect a couple dozen people on this board have on the program by banging the negativity drum ad nauseum, what possible benefit do they hope to drive from it? Do they feel like they have accomplished anything at all by the “we suck” posts? Do they feel any sense of self actualization with the “The coach must go” diatribes?
If it is just venting, vent to the dog. We are all disappointed in the recent results in our major programs. Posting, tweeting or calling in talk radio with nothing intelligent to contribute only exacerbates that disappointment to much of the fan base that has seen our share if ups and downs and has led many of us simply to avoid these forums when things go south.

Mindless negativity is not constructive but neither is accepting futility. There needs to be a healthy balance.

Let’s flip this. Regardless of any tangible effect a couple dozen people on this board have on the program by banging the negativity drum ad nauseum, what possible benefit do they hope to drive from it? Do they feel like they have accomplished anything at all by the “we suck” posts? Do they feel any sense of self actualization with the “The coach must go” diatribes?
If it is just venting, vent to the dog. We are all disappointed in the recent results in our major programs. Posting, tweeting or calling in talk radio with nothing intelligent to contribute only exacerbates that disappointment to much of the fan base that has seen our share if ups and downs and has led many of us simply to avoid these forums when things go south.
I don’t know, I stopped telling people how to post a long time ago. I tend to think posts should advance discussion. If the mods want to ban people who repeatedly fail to do that, I’m fine with it. If they don’t, it’s their board.

If the board admin thinks they’re losing traffic and good posters they should act accordingly. If coming here isn’t enjoyable for people they should stop visiting. Life is too short.

But speaking for myself, I find the post policing from other posters just as tiring as the repetitive negativity from others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom