Season ticket holder reaction | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Season ticket holder reaction

What "crap" do you have to deal with? The worst I've heard is a 10-12 minute walk. With other fans. On gameday.

Not sure what in the world you are talking about as far as walking somewhere.
My comment was in regards to the cumulative effect Bees was talking about the moving of the USC game, parking issues, schedule, dealign with the ticket office etc.

Again, how is that "crap?" What parking issues? Schedule is the Big East. Conference sucks, nothing new there. The following season it'll be the ACC. USC is one of those things, yeesh. The worst thing I hear is South Campus. Having gone to games at other places, that seems to be SOP. Heck, go to FedEx or Giants Stadium and you're that far away (if you have a lousy parking pass) and it's not even a pleasant walk.

Again, how is that "crap?" What parking issues? Schedule is the Big East. Conference sucks, nothing new there. The following season it'll be the ACC. USC is one of those things, yeesh. The worst thing I hear is South Campus. Having gone to games at other places, that seems to be SOP. Heck, go to FedEx or Giants Stadium and you're that far away (if you have a lousy parking pass) and it's not even a pleasant walk.

Again I outlined a hanful of issues in my response to your post. I understand the schedule this year and will deal with it but playign USC at home at least this year would have made a big difference but again I understand the reasoning behind it. As Bees noted its not one thing its a cumulative effect of things the locals have to deal with. Lastly I am not sure why you keep bringing up walking somehwere I didnt mention it and thats not an issue I have to deal with.

You keep saying parking is an issue and somewhere in this mess of threads UConn was the ideal for some other folks. So I would gather it's distance to the stadium since it doesn't seem to be price. And I still don't get the cumulative effects - it's college sports, not a bad day at work. I see a stadium with all good seats, beer, generally a cheap pricepoint unless you're paying preferred (and they need to figure that out) and accessable.

You keep saying parking is an issue and somewhere in this mess of threads UConn was the ideal for some other folks. So I would gather it's distance to the stadium since it doesn't seem to be price. And I still don't get the cumulative effects - it's college sports, not a bad day at work. I see a stadium with all good seats, beer, generally a cheap pricepoint unless you're paying preferred (and they need to figure that out) and accessable.

Parking as it relates to tailgating, if your just looking to park theres a couple different places including a garage across from the dome that about 15 bucks. I dont have an issue walking a little bit if I have to but the walk from the Fine Lot is about 5-7 min and while uphill is no problem. I agree about prices even Beer at 6 bucks is still better then most places. Its just the effect of everything that has turned a lot of locals off, personally it wont stop me from going but it definitely is an issue if ur not a local its hard to explain.

What "crap" do you have to deal with? The worst I've heard is a 10-12 minute walk. With other fans. On gameday.

With all due respect (and I only say that as you are a friend), you sir don't get it. Big picture my friend, not an individual complaint that isn't even a complaint.

I see a stadium with all good seats, beer, generally a cheap pricepoint unless you're paying preferred (and they need to figure that out) and accessable.

I see a stadium that is 2/3 full on a good day with lots of silver in the middle. So somewhere there is a disconnect, sir.

It's so simple and although some of the things that people have complained about do have some small merit- it's all about winning.

The basketball team wins consistently year in and year out. We have one of the highest attendances in the country in basketball year in and year out. It's not because the Dome is somehow magically easier to get to in the winter months. It's not because of JB doing radio shows, etc. JB has a radio show because people have an interest to listen to winners not the other way around.

I'm sure if the basketball team was losing we would see similar attendance problems that football does and we would be doing the same thing: blaming it on ticket prices, walk distance, game time, opponents, etc.

Winning solves attendance problems and I'm not talking about one fluke season surrounded by years of crap. Consistent winning programs garner respect, and allow people to validate why they spend their entertainment dollars and the associated opportunity costs there.

I live 3 hours from the dome. I work on Fridays. That means, if I want to tailgate, I have to get there by say, 4... which means I have to take at least 1/2 day off. I get home from the night games around 2 AM which makes for a seemingly longer drive home.

It's not going to affect me going to any games. I'll still go to the games on Fridays but I would prefer Saturdays. The only good thing about Friday night games (for me) is that I will be free for the rest of the weekend at home.

Yeah - in same boat here in Saratoga...won't be renewing my tix this year.

I'm sure TGD and staff are aware that the long-drive STH's might not be ponying up for this year's schedule...

Is what it is - hopefully we'll have something more workable next year...

TM - I respect you as a poster and I'm sure you are a good person from what I have read, but I don't get how mocking him traveling an hour each way helps at all in this discussion. 60 minutes is a long way to go see a football team that has wavered between boring/awful and boring/mediocre for a while now and at the same time doing nothing to be friendly to the locals that are making the trip.

TGD and DM should be kissing the a$$ of every person that still goes to these games.

This isn't the south. Football isn't drilled into upstate NYers like it is in other parts of the country. You can't just tell people to go up and tailgate and drink some beers and you will have a blast and expect them to come. Maybe the experience is relatively cheap compared to other parts of the country, but until we can get 45K people to fly in from other parts of the country, we may want to do something for the people who are sitting in the near distance from the Dome.

I think he made a very rational and reasoned post. I think too many folks blame CNYers for the lack of attendance while 1) either sitting at a computer from afar and/or 2) being a hardcore fan that will make the games come hell or high water and not realizing that the lens with which they view the SU program is not the same lens that other have.

Is it too much to ask to do it 5-7 times a year? If you live in any big city...daily commutes of 1 hr each way is commonplace...If you are posting on this board you are hard core...hard core fans shouldn't be complaining about 60 min commutes to see the Orange. That was my main point...not really a directed personal attack but more a shot over the bow.

Is it too much to ask to do it 5-7 times a year? If you live in any big city...daily commutes of 1 hr each way is commonplace...If you are posting on this board you are hard core...hard core fans shouldn't be complaining about 60 min commutes to see the Orange. That was my main point...not really a directed personal attack but more a shot over the bow.

If your driving two hours or more with 5 games and 3 on Fridays, that's a bit much to ask of long drivers that work...

Just my opinion.

If we were a top 25 team, I'd do it... we're not there yet... everything has a cost/benefit...

If your driving two hours or more with 5 games and 3 on Fridays, that's a bit much to ask of long drivers that work...

Just my opinion.

If we were a top 25 team, I'd do it... we're not there yet... everything has a cost/benefit...

Yes but 60 mins to me isn't even worth thinking about (I consider that in the normal daily commute realm)...big difference between 60 mins each way and 2-3 hrs each way.

With all due respect (and I only say that as you are a friend), you sir don't get it. Big picture my friend, not an individual complaint that isn't even a complaint.

The big picture, to me, is getting into a better conference. And winning. That'll solve a fair amount of problems. All this other stuff, personally, seems minor. In comparison to other sporting situations SU football games seem like a pretty good deal to me.

This is not a criticism but there are segments of "fans". There are fans who will continue to go even though it's not an optimal arrangement and there are fans who require more wins before they do that. You are of the latter and it makes a point about many of the "problems" we see on this board. When SU wins, many of the "problems" disappear. That in itself may be a problem but winning does tend to make people forget about certain things or at least easier to live with.

Yes but 60 mins to me isn't even worth thinking about (I consider that in the normal daily commute realm)...big difference between 60 mins each way and 2-3 hrs each way.
The worst is when say, we are at a night game in the 3rd quarter and the Orange is down by enough to know there ain't no way they will pull out a win. So there's still over an hour left in the game...and then a 3 hour drive to go... and they stopped selling beer already! It is nice when the team is winning a lot and that scenario is very unlikely. But over the past 10 years, it's been likely...and I think of it even before I go to the game and dread it coming true. The only thing I am thankful for is the Westmorland exit's Burger King is always open late!

First, I don't count people that come to this board as the people SU needs to attract. Would I guess that someone on this board travel 60 minutes for a game each way? Probably, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Second, in terms of the overall fan base, if you are asking is it too much to do 5-7 times a year, the answer is yes, as of right now. The proof is in the pudding. People aren't coming. At least not enough to fill the Dome a good amount.

I know that if we start winning, some more people will come, but I don't think that's the only fix. DM needs the fans to help get the recruits and to get the program buzzing again. TGD and DM have done very little, imo, to do this. Until they do, I think you are going to see sparse crowds, because we aren't winning 10 games any time soon (I hope I am proven wrong on this).

What "crap" do you have to deal with?
Clearly you've missed the comments about watching boring, ununspiring, conservative football that doesn't win and isn't fun for fans to watch.

This is not a criticism but there are segments of "fans". There are fans who will continue to go even though it's not an optimal arrangement and there are fans who require more wins before they do that. You are of the latter and it makes a point about many of the "problems" we see on this board. When SU wins, many of the "problems" disappear. That in itself may be a problem but winning does tend to make people forget about certain things or at least easier to live with.

Sure... but I am reasonable fan who lives 2-2.5 hrs. away... And when you boil it all down, this schedule with 5 home games including stonybrook that includes 3 friday night games (requiring taking time off work for out-of-towners) and given the quality of product on the field (which has not been good)... it all makes for a good year to NOT buy season tickets... I think that is reasonable for STHs that don't live near syracuse given this schedule... Other long-drive fans have stated the same. I doubt the athletic dept. would be shocked by this for this year as well...

It is what it is...

Looking forward to a better schedule and re-purchasing season tix for our year 1 in the ACC...

Sure... but I am reasonable fan who lives 2-2.5 hrs. away... And when you boil it all down, this schedule with 5 home games including stonybrook that includes 3 friday night games (requiring taking time off work for out-of-towners) and given the quality of product on the field (which has not been good)... it all makes for a good year to NOT buy season tickets... I think that is reasonable for STHs that don't live near syracuse given this schedule... Other long-drive fans have stated the same. I doubt the athletic dept. would be shocked by this for this year as well...

It is what it is...

Looking forward to a better schedule and re-purchasing season tix for our year 1 in the ACC...
I understand. I am in the same long drive situation as you but not at the point I'd stop going yet. Personal preference and tolerance. What I was really pointing out is how major winning is. People go off about ticket prices, beer prices, parking, tailgate space (or lack thereof), traffic... you name it. ...but the most critical aspect to filling the stadium is what happens on the field in terms of wins. Once they win, people are more tolerant of other things. SU has about 30K of die-hard fans. The rest are different degrees of fair weather.

I decided at the end of last season to not get season tickets anymore. I hated Friday night games and I am really glad I let my tickets go. Especially after adding Stony Brook. I only hope Oswego State never gets a football team.
Oh c'mon. We play a pretty good schedule this year. I don't the this type of criticism is warranted. If you want to see a padded schedule, look at what Rutgers did the past decade.

I haven't had season tickets to football games since I graduated from SU in 2002. I try to go to a game or two a year, but have started taking advantage of the perks (free tickets) of being a HS coach. I did have season tickets to basketball games for quite a few years. Finally had to give them up since a two hour drive each way on a weeknight was a killer.

As a fan the price was never an issue for me. I was willing to spend thousands of dollars for basketball tickets and drive four hours on a weeknight because the product on the court was good. I was not willing to pay even the 90 dollars for football season tickets that they offered a few years back because the product sucked (and other than a lower tier bowl game has not really improved).

Several posters have said that value really depends on the product presented. Most people, even in CNY, would pay the price being asked if the product was better. As a fan I am frustrated with the product on the field. To me the outlook is still better than the GRob years, but it has been sinking back down since the fluke(?) Pinstripe Bowl appearance.

Oh c'mon. We play a pretty good schedule this year. I don't the this type of criticism is warranted. If you want to see a padded schedule, look at what Rutgers did the past decade.
I will still go to a few games. Just sick of the program and what it has become. It is not fan friendly anymore. After going to games for 48 seasons, I think I can give it a little rest.

I will still go to a few games. Just sick of the program and what it has become. It is not fan friendly anymore. After going to games for 48 seasons, I think I can give it a little rest.
It's all about personal preferences and priorities but I have a hunch that deep down, "not fan friendly" = "not winning". Give them the exact same schedule and instead of coming off a 5 win season, say they are coming off of a 10 win season... all of a sudden they are a little more "fan friendly". And, the current schedule reflects the difficulties that have arisen from the move to the ACC (which will cure the scheduling woes) and the turmoil around BE membership.

its just not fun anymore-

when the best part of going to a game is the tailgate year after year-it takes its toll

its not about parking or the dome seats-its walking out with a dead spot in your gut 9 out of 10 games

add in we wont have the real good ooc games at the dome really piss's me off-this sell off to joisey blows and shows what gross thinks about those who did attend games during this decade of garbage -

and just for shits and giggles- hire a oc who can tilt his neck up long enough to notice he plays in a covered dome and create a offense to take advantage of it-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom