Class of 2021 - SF Benny Williams (MD / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SF Benny Williams (MD / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer one but worth the listen. Very beginning is asked about trying to recruit his other 5 star friends in the 21 class and he says he's recruiting who he's told to recruit and mentions talking to Red often.

Longer one but worth the listen. Very beginning is asked about trying to recruit his other 5 star friends in the 21 class and he says he's recruiting who he's told to recruit and mentions talking to Red often.

But who's telling him???

Red. or the other guy???

Also mentions how growing up Cuse was always on the TV and how it was such a big deal for them to be recruiting him and wanting to help them get back to the success they are use to having. I don't want to turn this into another one of those threads but just frustrating a bit how we have taken our foot off the gas a little with recruiting lately. We are still Syracuse basketball and we are a big time program. Gotta get back to consistently bringing in talent like Benny (he's a awesome pick up for us) Would love to go on a nice post season run here with some JB magic and see us use some of that momentum for 21 (maybe we arent finished) and for 22 class...JB deserves to go out with a bang as a nice gesture to the NCAA.

Last edited:
The bench.

Let’s hope we rarely ever see that, and he gets minutes like Mali or OSB, and not Kadary or Woody.
I doubt any of our current players could keep Mr. Williams on the bench. He is the star, when added to a roster like we currently have, turns it in to a top 15 team. Who knows what happens with the roster, though.

SU teams that rely on freshman to be stars, outside of one 2003 team, tend to end up unranked. Only a few made brief forays into the top-25 or tournament. And two - Malachi's team and Oshae's team made noise in the tourney.

The top freshman points scorering teams Greene/Flynn, Oshae, Battle/Lydon weren't very good. Ennis was probably the next best freshman and that team was pretty good until they flamed out.

Tough to rely on one freshman to fix teams with fundamental problems. SU is a ways from being a top-15 team.

SU teams that rely on freshman to be stars, outside of one 2003 team, tend to end up unranked. Only a few made brief forays into the top-25 or tournament. And two - Malachi's team and Oshae's team made noise in the tourney.

The top freshman points scorering teams Greene/Flynn, Oshae, Battle/Lydon weren't very good. Ennis was probably the next best freshman and that team was pretty good until they flamed out.

Tough to rely on one freshman to fix teams with fundamental problems. SU is a ways from being a top-15 team.

We would hardly be 'relying' on Benny as a Frosh. He'd be one very nice piece of a team.

He would literally be the ONLY first year guy on next year's team - which would otherwise have a LOT of upperclassmen.
Almost all Juniors, Seniors, and maybe a super-Senior or 2, if Boo and/or Marek return

(other '21 season underclassmen - Kadary, Frank, and Woody, assuming he returns - all 2nd year players)

We would hardly be 'relying' on Benny as a Frosh. He'd be one very nice piece of a team.

He would literally be the ONLY first year guy on next year's team - which would otherwise have a LOT of upperclassmen.
Almost all Juniors, Seniors, and maybe a super-Senior or 2, if Boo and/or Marek return

(other '21 season underclassmen - Kadary, Frank, and Woody, assuming he returns - all 2nd year players)
Benny would be adding an NBA talent to an otherwise veteran group. I hope it happens.

Then my magic roster math isn't so great then when I see things like this: "He is the star, when added to a roster like we currently have, turns it in to a top 15 team."

This team is far from a top-15 team and needs more than ~20 minutes from a frosh wing.

Matt Moyer was going to get his jersey retired. Roberson was going to be AMAZING. This forum is full of wishful thinking.

Then my magic roster math isn't so great then when I see things like this: "He is the star, when added to a roster like we currently have, turns it in to a top 15 team."

This team is far from a top-15 team and needs more than ~20 minutes from a frosh wing.

Matt Moyer was going to get his jersey retired. Roberson was going to be AMAZING. This forum is full of wishful thinking.
I think that was my quote. And I believe that is the difference a guy like Benny can make. I believe in the potential of our current group, and Benny is the ultra talented guy to raise them up a notch or two.

Mali played 34 mpg as a Frosh.

OSB played 38 mpg as a Frosh.

Both of those teams did pretty OK with those guys getting 30++ minutes, as part of an ensemble cast.

Benny would be a borderline 'bust' if he was only getting 20 mpg.
OR it would mean that 2 other Forwards were just killing it, and he was getting "Boeheimed" a la Frosh Dion.

My $ is on him getting solid minutes, and producing well.
I don't think he's the Golden Child, but - he IS a 5* guy, who is also a perfect fit for what we do on O & D.

Mali played 34 mpg as a Frosh.

OSB played 38 mpg as a Frosh.

Both of those teams did pretty OK with those guys getting 30++ minutes, as part of an ensemble cast.

Benny would be a borderline 'bust' if he was only getting 20 mpg.
OR it would mean that 2 other Forwards were just killing it, and he was getting "Boeheimed" a la Frosh Dion.

My $ is on him getting solid minutes, and producing well.
I don't think he's the Golden Child, but - he IS a 5* guy, who is also a perfect fit for what we do on O & D

We would hardly be 'relying' on Benny as a Frosh.
I find these two posts to be contradictory. If a guy is getting 30+ mpg as a team of 7-8 players, he's being relied on.

Neither Maliachi's team or Oshae's team were very good and had flaws that were forgotten about after good runs in the NCAA tourney. Neither made the top-20* (one non-conference cameo by Malachi's team before getting beat by Wisky and *spit* G-town). I'd say that the best case scenario for Benny is Oshae. Which isn't enough to make this current SU team great. A lot of people were disappointed with freshman Oshae. People were disappointed with Malachi, too.

And SU hasn't played an ensemble cast since at least 2009.

Moyer the recruit was light years better than Moyer the player. We had every reason to be optimistic.

I find these two posts to be contradictory. If a guy is getting 30+ mpg as a team of 7-8 players, he's being relied on.

Neither Maliachi's team or Oshae's team were very good and had flaws that were forgotten about after good runs in the NCAA tourney. Neither made the top-20* (one non-conference cameo by Malachi's team before getting beat by Wisky and *spit* G-town). I'd say that the best case scenario for Benny is Oshae. Which isn't enough to make this current SU team great. A lot of people were disappointed with freshman Oshae. People were disappointed with Malachi, too.

And SU hasn't played an ensemble cast since at least 2009.

2012 wasn't an ensemble cast?? JB played like 9.5 guys that year.

Like so:
nine and a half guys
MCW was the half a guy

Neither Mali nor OSB was THE MAN on those teams, except for maybe Mali in the 2nd half vs UVA.
You can play a lot of minutes and still be a solid complimentary piece.
We've had plenty of Frosh guys play at/over 30 minutes, who weren't The Man.

With Buddy and (assumedly Griff) returning for next year, we don't need Benny to be Melo 2.0.
(but NOBODY SAYS NO to THAT!!!!)

I think we're getting into semantics and pedantics here.

You enjoy your glass half-empty, while I will enjoy mine half-full.

Last edited:
2012 wasn't an ensemble cast?? JB played like 9.5 guys that year.

Like so:
nine and a half guys
MCW was the half a guy

Neither Mali nor OSB was THE MAN on those teams, except for maybe Mali in the 2nd half vs UVA.
You can play a lot of minutes and still be a solid complimentary piece.
We've had plenty of Frosh guys play at/over 30 minutes, who weren't The Man.

With Buddy and (assumedly Griff) returning for next year, we don't need Benny to be Melo 2.0.
(but NOBODY SAYS NO to THAT!!!!)

I think we're getting into semantics and pedantics here.

You enjoy your glass half-empty, while I will enjoy mine half-full.
Roger that. I'm just being realistic based on history and precise with my language.

Freshman are rarely the cog that puts a mediocre team over the top.

Lawrence Moten says Hi!

The team in 1987 after Pearl left had 2 complimentary seniors , Monroe, Trich, a Junior, Rony, soph, Sherm, and 2 freshman, DC, and Stevie.
Yeah, something that Syracuse has been missing lately has been having a number of upperclassmen complimentary players. There are a couple of players who, if they stick around, have the potential to take their game to another level (as upperclassmen often do). Add in a 5 star freshman and possibly a transfer, and I think next years team's potential is being undersold by some. Of course, next years actual lineup is hard to project at this point.

Believe that the concern is there is no big man versed in rebounding and scoring. Our best rebounders are two players playing out of position: Guerrier a small forward playing power forward and Alan Griffin, a shooting guard playing small forward. Plus our star center is a small forward on most teams playing center. There is skill but no heft to our big men.

Status
Not open for further replies.