Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cincy is basically Kentucky.

I know. Across the river from downtown in Newport, KY is The Party Source. One of the best booze emporiums in the country. WalMart of booze. They have a bunch of coveted BlackAdder collections/offerings of single malts (bought a 1989 BlackAdder Bowmore raw cask/unfiltered there), probably close to a hundred small batch bourbons, TONS of mezcals, etc. Insane. It's wonderful.

Word on RI streets is that it's not looking good for us.

You're one of 2 people I didn't want to hear a hint of negative word from.

If we lose out to Xavier, Gerry will be on a scalding hot seat around here.

This very quick timeline after the visits is one reason why I had said jb had to close on this big time. With the late offer and recruiting him hard, gmac got us where we needed to be. In his final schools and on campus for an official. And he had a great time. The baton was handed to jb. In the time since his visit, there was no time for any asst to do much more. If his decision was months away, then yes there would be.

X has been on him a long time. That's who I'm concerned about. And I think PT will play a role. We have a lot of young forwards and are after more.

Fingers crossed.

This very quick timeline after the visits is one reason why I had said jb had to close on this big time. With the late offer and recruiting him hard, gmac got us where we needed to be. In his final schools and on campus for an official. And he had a great time. The baton was handed to jb. In the time since his visit, there was no time for any asst to do much more. If his decision was months away, then yes there would be.

X has been on him a long time. That's who I'm concerned about. And I think PT will play a role. We have a lot of young forwards and are after more.

Fingers crossed.

Not good to hear but the offer should've gone out to him earlier, I suppose. Still, I'm more worried about no Carey or no Duke.

Fingers crossed.

It all doesn't matter. Gerry will get roasted. Swider is a very competitive, comfodent kid. So I'm surprised he'd be spooked by all of our forwards. But yeah, Xavier clearly offers him the best route to sure playing time, though I'd argue that we are in such need for his shooting that he has to know he'd play a ton here.

No one can feel that confident just because we have not been doing well with priority recruits. It's just the way things have been going, especially when they've been top 50 Gerry recruits. He's 0-2 and needs to get a big win this cycle.

The playing time stuff makes no sense to me. Big schools still get good recruits over smaller programs all the time. There is no way to spin it otherwise, Xavier isn't in our class. They remind me of us, 40 years ago. No real tournament success. A less significant league by a long shot. And we are closer to home. The only thing that scares me, and with this kid, I think it is kinda big, is that they were on him long before we were.

Fingers crossed.

JB couldn't close though. He was going to take those others visits. Nothing JB could do but give him a great pitch. There was less than a microscopic chance he'd have committed to us on campus. He wouldn't do that to the other teams on his list.

*I* won't rip Gerry but he really does need a signature win. If he doesn't get one in this class, then I'd say we'd ever every reason to be worried about him.

Swider is very important for Gerry but also to help us get a pg. That's the biggest thing.

The playing time stuff makes no sense to me. Big schools still get good recruits over smaller programs all the time. There is no way to spin it otherwise, Xavier isn't in our class. They remind me of us, 40 years ago. No real tournament success. A less significant league by a long shot. And we are closer to home. The only thing that scares me, and with this kid, I think it is kinda big, is that they were on him long before we were.

Where I'd disagree with you is they have had a decent amount of tourney success. A few really good runs but no, they are not Syracuse. You'd think Tyler Lydon going in the first round would've enhanced out case too.

They were in the Elite 8 last year and have been to 5 or 6 Sweet 16's in the last 10. Probably made more NCAA tournaments in the last 15 years than SU.

Not saying they are a better program but your post is way off as to where Xavier basketball program is at currently.

They were in the Elite 8 last year and have been to 5 or 6 Sweet 16's in the last 10. Probably made more NCAA tournaments in the last 15 years than SU.

Not saying they are a better program but your post is way off as to where Xavier basketball program is at currently.

We have been to 8 sweet 16s and 3 FF since 2000. We are 3-1 in the Regional Final

They have been to 7 sweet 16s and no FF. They have lost all 3 regional finals they've been in

Anyway you measure its worse. If you guys want to go pooh pooh Xavier's accomplishments I'm sure they have a board.

We have been to 8 sweet 16s and 3 FF since 2000. We are 3-1 in the Regional Final

They have been to 7 sweet 16s and no FF. They have lost all 3 regional finals they've been in

Anyway you measure its worse. If you guys want to go pooh pooh Xavier's accomplishments I'm sure they have a board.

Pooh pooh'ing is downplaying. We are saying they have accomplishments. ;)

Man idk what to think...not gunna talk smack on Xavier but I will say that it comes down to duke/cuse/Xavier and he goes with X over the other 2 just seems so strange to me...im not sure too many people would pick that way if given those choices but i guess we will all know soon enough...

I think we are barking up the wrong tree here. Crystal meth has 11% for Wake Forest. I know what your thinking. He didn't visit there and they weren't in his final 4. Maybe they have some inside info. That is who worries me.

They have never played in the same type of league was we have. Ever. And by that I mean they haven't played the schedule that we have played. We were in the Big east when they were in whatever league they were in. We are now in the ACC which is far better than the Big East. This isn't a knock on Xavier. They aren't at our level. They haven't had the tournament success that we have had. They haven't put the number of players in the NBA that we have. Guys, it isn't close. They are a fine regional program. We are a national program. Ask the networks who they would pick to televise? Syracuse or Xavier.

Kid like this aren't really in our wheelhouse anymore; 5th year grad transfers and mystery recruits outta Lower Slobbovia are more our thing now...

Cincy grads
My son is considering going to a soccer camp for them. Probable business major.
What can you tell me about the school in general, the B school, the campus, etc.

They have never played in the same type of league was we have. Ever. And by that I mean they haven't played the schedule that we have played. We were in the Big east when they were in whatever league they were in. We are now in the ACC which is far better than the Big East. This isn't a knock on Xavier. They aren't at our level. They haven't had the tournament success that we have had. They haven't put the number of players in the NBA that we have. Guys, it isn't close. They are a fine regional program. We are a national program. Ask the networks who they would pick to televise? Syracuse or Xavier.

Nobody is saying they are Syracuse or a top tier program. But to claim they have had NO tournament success or are some chump is absurd. Xavier is one team I never wanted to face anytime/anywhere with Mack/Miller. They play with an edge and have a lot of skill. They have always been better than those Dayton teams, for comparison's sake. They have made the tournament 15 of the last 17 years when the Atlantic 10 had some very good years even. Some decent success many years in the Tourney also. I'd argue they have more than a regional cache. They have recruits from Maryland, Putnam Science, Georgia, and of course do well in the Cincy/Indy areas.

We need this kid but it doesn't look good.

GMac could have used a big win. Hopefully it's still up in air.
Losing to Duke and Kentucky okay but Xavier?

Yup. No question. Cincy is an awesome place right now.

Yeah, maybe Swider is worried about playing time. Obviously Mack is an excellent coach. Those guys play hard and they have good recruits coming in. But, look at UNC all these years and how many forwards/big guys they brought in the past 3-4 years. Swider hopefully commits to SU and let it all sort itself out. It would be some big time competition in practice which can only help things.
Mack will move up in a year or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors