Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that we need a recruiting win. I get that. I also get that we had a free recruiting wins the last couple months. Not sure everyone gets that. I think people just latch onto a name and think that he is a make or break person. I think we could have at least four NBA players on our roster right now and none of them are going to lead us to the NC by themselves. Swider would be a nice player for us, and I hope we get him, but he is not going to going lead us to the NC all by himself. If Swider is that good, Duke would be putting on the full court press right now. It doesn't sound like they are. Hope we get him, as he is a nice puzzle piece, but we will see. If not, we move on.

We are not on Duke's level. Come on. Duke offered. They had him there. They don't need guys like this. We do. Can people stop with the thought process that we are on Duke's level? Beating them a couple times doesnt mean much unless you're willing to say St. John's is better than we are.

I know there are a lot of excuse makers and people saying that this recruit isn't a "make or break" recruit.

But the pattern that I've seen shows we have struck out on the majority of our top priority recruits over the last few years. Especially those that are Top 50.

Brissett is a nice player and I think was Top 50 level. But Sidibe was not, the Euro kid was not, etc.

Not good from my perspective. Something isn't working. Just my view.

I know there are a lot of excuse makers and people saying that this recruit isn't a "make or break" recruit.

But the pattern that I've seen shows we have struck out on the majority of our top priority recruits over the last few years. Especially those that are Top 50.

Brissett is a nice player and I think was Top 50 level. But Sidibe was not, the Euro kid was not, etc.

Not good from my perspective. Something isn't working. Just my view.
Something is not working but the foreign kid (Marek) and Sidibe for that matter, are much better than you are giving them credit for.

Something is not working but the foreign kid (Marek) and Sidibe for that matter, are much better than you are giving them credit for.

They are. My concern (and yours too, I'm sure) is we are not winning battles when we have a lot of competition. Some may discount Xavier but they are a good program. I hope we get great news tomorrow and all the Xavier buzz is unwarranted. Shame if Swider announces at MCW's alma mater that he's attending another school.

Haven't been all zone since about 2009.
99.9% since 1996. Not really debatable. Zone and press. Some unauthorized man during the Flynn/ Harris years when they "couldn't hear" coach call out the defense.

Cipolla, Janulis, Hart, Griffin, Deshaun, Gmac, McCroskey all played exclusively zone. It was a shame that Hart wasn't allowed to play m2m.

The 99 game at home was the best zone defense I've ever seen with Hart, Deshaun and griffin not allowing Uconn to get into their offense.

99.9% since 1996. Not really debatable. Zone and press. Some unauthorized man during the Flynn/ Harris years when they "couldn't hear" coach call out the defense.

Cipolla, Janulis, Hart, Griffin, Deshaun, Gmac, McCroskey all played exclusively zone. It was a shame that Hart wasn't allowed to play m2m.

The 99 game at home was the best zone defense I've ever seen with Hart, Deshaun and griffin not allowing Uconn to get into their offense.

It has not been 99.9% zone since 1996. That is simply not accurate. Why would guys have to hear what defense we are in if we only played zone and press? Our press isn't a man press. There is a gap in logic there.

We started playing zone only when we won the title. But that's not what this thread is about, so I'll leave it at that.

EDIT:

Q. When did you start doing this zone exclusively? In the '96 run, were you doing all 2‑3 at that point? Also, just wondering if the way your team is playing it now, where does it compare with your best teams in terms of playing the zone?
COACH BOEHEIM: Well, until '96 we played some man every year. In the exhibition games, non‑conference games, even the conference games we played some man. We continued doing that probably up to '03. '03 we pretty much played all zone, and after '03 we still played some man, but it really probably hasn't been until '10, 2010, when we lost the exhibition game to Le Moyne, we just said, We're going to spend more time on our zone.
We still spend some time man‑to‑man, but mostly it's zone for the last two, three years, pretty much exclusively zone in all of our games.

I like going to the source. That was from 2013. The key is JB B saying, "'03 we played pretty much all zone."

Last edited:

The 99 game was better than Indiana/marq in 2013 or OU in 2003? Man those were complete shutdowns.

It has not been 99.9% zone since 1996. That is simply not accurate. Why would guys have to hear what defense we are in if we only played zone and press? Our press isn't a man press. There is a gap in logic there.

We started playing zone only when we won the title. But that's not what this thread is about, so I'll leave it at that.

Sorry, but you're wrong here. We haven't played man against any worthy opponents since 1996.

Sorry, but you're wrong here. We haven't played man against any worthy opponents since 1996.

Kansas sucked, I guess? They couldn't hear we were playing zone, our regular defense? Out of a timeout? All five guys? I watched it a few week ago. We played man for quite a long time. That's one significant game but there were plenty of others. We used to switch defenses on occasion and played man defending out of bounds play too periodically. And who said anything about the strength of the opponents?

Please, back to Cole Swider. I shouldn't have been engaged in this.

If he wants to go to the NBA as a slightly underrated recruit Syracuse should be the choice. If anything else happens I'll be confused and sad.

Please take the zone debate/discussion somewhere else. I want to read posts on the subject at matter - Cole Swider.
Which is tons of fun, because when people post about Swider other people remind them that it's just an opinion and they can't really know anything. :noidea:

So we are to believe he might be picking Nova with an official in his back pocket? I'm not doubting that's the chatter that Dean is hearing one bit but would that make any sense? I'm starting to think we are being Punk'd with all of these recruiting twists and turns.

We are not on Duke's level. Come on. Duke offered. They had him there. They don't need guys like this. We do. Can people stop with the thought process that we are on Duke's level? Beating them a couple times doesnt mean much unless you're willing to say St. John's is better than we are.

Well st johns didnt beat us twice, they smoked us

We beat kansas by playing m2m in second half in kansas city with flynn and crew and those ridiculously long shorts

Please tell me cuse isn't the only school that has recruits pose with their uniform on, and not pick them.

Usually when the rumors are so all over the place which they are here it means that no one has a good handle on anything. Given that we do not seem to be favored publicly anywhere I would guess he winds up here

Usually when the rumors are so all over the place which they are here it means that no one has a good handle on anything. Given that we do not seem to be favored publicly anywhere I would guess he winds up here

Xavier is just too far. Imagine nova is closest. Duke, the distance doesnt matter.

So we are to believe he might be picking Nova with an official in his back pocket? I'm not doubting that's the chatter that Dean is hearing one bit but would that make any sense? I'm starting to think we are being Punk'd with all of these recruiting twists and turns.
If he never visited Villanova I would say it was strange. But otherwise the use/nonuse of an official visit is overrated

If he never visited Villanova I would say it was strange. But otherwise the use/nonuse of an official visit is overrated

Maybe but why list his official there as TBA if he wasn't going to take one? Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom