Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this news sucks if indeed he picks nova...not gunna act like the sky is falling but it really does suck not being able to close on our top priority recruits and to keep making kids finals lists only to be left standing there with a thumb up our poopers. Don't like the current trends. Glad bazley is visiting today and really would like to add him to our team but I'm pretty sure he's a kid that's not committing early.

This issue has been debated for months, even longer. JB is at the end of his career. He still has plenty of cache, but recruits aren't dumb. They know he's an aging coach ready to play golf. He doesn't offer much in the way of new gimmicks to attract recruits. And then there's always "SU plays the zone" thing. We lost Hop -- our chief recruiter and younger connection to recruits -- so a lot now falls on the rest of the staff. The Swider decision isn't crippling, but not surprising. The summer recruiting period and this fall will tell us a lot more, and perhaps determine the length of JB's coaching career.

Well said. The transition/succession plan now being null and void is potentially a huge pitfall with Hop gone. Not only connecting with recruits but the offering of a potentially refreshing playing style is now off the table. We'll know more like you say moving forward in summer/fall but color me concerned. I saw this last night. Just some great stuff! My how different everything is now.

Well said. The transition/succession plan now being null and void is potentially a huge pitfall with Hop gone. Not only connecting with recruits but the offering of a potentially refreshing playing style is now off the table. We'll know more like you say moving forward in summer/fall but color me concerned. I saw this last night. Just some great stuff! My how different everything is now.

Great find! I used to have that VHS tape as a kid!

Great find! I used to have that VHS tape as a kid!

This thing is awesome. Never saw it before. Some high fying fast break clips I never saw before as well. The whole fundamentals drilling was really striking.

He knew where he wanted to go all along. I respect that he just got it over with, and we can move on.

Best of luck to him.

Next.
He seems like a Nova kind of guy . I'm disappointed and wish him the best but I think we could have done more for him. Josh Hart went 42nd he was their star and drafted so late. He obviously had a great supporting cast to be that successful collegiately. Before Hart, Nova has to go back to 2006 for last first rounder. Swider is similar to Lydon and look at his success not to mention our first round streak. The fan base is not even comparable. I suspect he wants to play for Wright.

Swider is the type of kid SU used to get. A northeast guy who is a somewhat under-valued by the recruiting services and the "big boys like UK" with high upside. Now we're not getting them. Trend continues. We'll see about others in 2018 class but it's a bad signal and we don't seem to be considered the leader for any our main targets. Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years and JB isn't getting any younger (which may be a real part of this issue).

Swider is the type of kid SU used to get. A northeast guy who is a somewhat under-valued by the recruiting services and the "big boys like UK" with high upside. Now we're not getting them. Trend continues. We'll see about others in 2018 class but it's a bad signal and we don't seem to be considered the leader for any our main targets. Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years and JB isn't getting any younger (which may be a real part of this issue).
We just had one of those guys drafted no 24 fwiw

Agree with most of your post -- very disturbing trend -- with the exception of the part about not being the leader for any main targets. That might not be true--will be interesting to see what happens with Bazley, and I've heard that we might be out front with an "old" name people aren't talking about that would be an enormous bounce back from losing Swider. What happens next is going to determine if the trend continues, or losing Swider is unfortunate but not a huge deal.

Like you, I'm not sure how things will unfold for 2018.

The key here is finding wings who can shoot the ball and from what I've seen there isn't many out there this class, and we haven't really offered any either.

Soooo, who said there wouldn't be a meltdown over this kid? Al...sorry I forget the rest. Memory isn't great.

Unbelievable. It's not even worth the time, but I'll do it anyway. We have the number 1 kid from Canada coming in at forward. OBeast. TT, a potential NBA draft pick. Tyus, who will keep the streak alive. Sid who could be a program guy, like Baye. HW, another underrated kid that has great potential at PG, and bleeds Orange. Junior Frank, which we shall see about. He's getting to work in Spain. Oh, Matt Moyer. Also working his ass off. Marek. A kid who has been playing against men, and doing pretty damn well. PC who had one eye, but is definitely a question mark. Hughes who JB loves, but his stats don't impress the board after a freshman year at lowly ECU.

Man. If I was a fan of another team, and read this. Never mind.

We are in a spot that around 340 other D1 teams would love to be in.

But, JB is done. The man who built Syracuse into a power. Syracuse. Let's run him out of town like most of you alumni do after school.

Very cool video.

Love the dunk and the Hopkins reaction at 19:18.

Soooo, who said there wouldn't be a meltdown over this kid? Al...sorry I forget the rest. Memory isn't great.

Unbelievable. It's not even worth the time, but I'll do it anyway. We have the number 1 kid from Canada coming in at forward. OBeast. TT, a potential NBA draft pick. Tyus, who will keep the streak alive. Sid who could be a program guy, like Baye. HW, another underrated kid that has great potential at PG, and bleeds Orange. Junior Frank, which we shall see about. He's getting to work in Spain. Oh, Matt Moyer. Also working his ass off. Marek. A kid who has been playing against men, and doing pretty damn well. PC who had one eye, but is definitely a question mark. Hughes who JB loves, but his stats don't impress the board after a freshman year at lowly ECU.

Man. If I was a fan of another team, and read this. Never mind.

We are in a spot that around 340 other D1 teams would love to be in.

But, JB is done. The man who built Syracuse into a power. Syracuse. Let's run him out of town like most of you alumni do after school.
One proven guard isn't a recipe for success. I don't care if you list Tim Duncan, we need guards, not 10 forwards.

Agree with most of your post -- very disturbing trend -- with the exception of the part about not being the leader for any main targets. That might not be true--will be interesting to see what happens with Bazley, and I've heard that we might be out front with an "old" name people aren't talking about that would be an enormous bounce back from losing Swider. What happens next is going to determine if the trend continues, or losing Swider is unfortunate but not a huge deal.

If it's the same "old" kid that was suggested to me today I'll be shocked especially as he is around Calipari 24/7 on the U19 team right now. Not saying we won't get him, but that has all the makings of a drawn out circus where we lose in the end.

Let's clear up something. Boeheim is never leaving on his own accord. Wildhack punted the tough decision down the road. I believe that was a horrible decision but who knows who it will all turn out. I do know it's hard to win without really good players.

One proven guard isn't a recipe for success. I don't care if you list Tim Duncan, we need guards, not 10 forwards.

We have guards, and guards on the way. I'm done talking to the collective brick wall here that think it's doomsday for SU basketball, and JB.

As we are in 2017, talking about 2018 recruits. Rinse, and repeat here.

Meltdown, resume. Aaaaand go.

Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years and JB isn't getting any younger (which may be a real part of this issue).
I think the scariest thing is - JB isn't the type to recognize if and when it's best for the program for him to step aside. Look at how the whole Hop transition was bungled if you need tangible proof. He'll be that captain in the Titanic locking himself in the cabin when the water crashes through.

Let's clear up something. Boeheim is never leaving on his own accord. Wildhack punted the tough decision down the road. I believe that was a horrible decision but who knows who it will all turn out. I do know it's hard to win without really good players.

I guess you meant he will be leaving on his own accord, right?

My guess is he'll want to coach his son for at least one year...and then see where things stand then.

Last point here. Swider isn't even a guard, so everyone should be fine then.

If you are talking about who I think you are that would be a shocking development and even so leading for him now may be meaningless as things draw out. Obviously I hope you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom