Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Plenty of examples of him in that video running, dribble driving, etc...You don’t have to have Allen Iverson crossover to create shots. People should watch his video. I love he runs out on fast breaks also. Adding this guy is an immediate upgrade and he shows enough athleticism to play in the zone and make the rotations.
Shut your...err...I agree whole heartedly.

Where athleticism bites us is when we play smaller. Benny's handle should allow to have another guy to bring it up the court and help relieve against pressure D. Symir is a guy who can break that too. Symir is very possibly going to get similar minutes to what Kadary got.

If you run Big with 6-9/6-11/6-8 all year with the rare small ball with Buddy at the 3 it helps offset concerns with athleticism a great deal. Our most athletic lineup if Woody and Frank leave has Symir in with Benny and Jesse.

If Woody and Frank come back you can counter essentially anyone's athleticism.

Until we know the final configuration of the team it doesn't even make sense to talk about how good or not we will be. Kinda crazy...Also I like to wait and see what they all do over the summer and when they come back. Example: Absolutely no one on this board had any idea of how good Kadary was going to be until reports from summer scrimmages surfaced that indicated the kid was flashing some skills. So l am just going to wait and see before declaring anything at this point.
Some of us were very high on KaDary, from high school.
I caught hell for comparing him to Joe Dumars, but others saw talents and just had problems with NBA HoF comps.

But I was wrong about his defense. Big time.

That’s a little too simplistic for me but maybe

It’s not an exact science.

And for the other poster who asked about Benny - he’s the Griff replacement.

This was an old breakdown from ESPN on Cole in HS.

Strengths:
Swider is one of the elite shooters in the national class. His release is pure and quick with the ability to make shots in bunches and in any number of ways - running to spots in transition, coming off screens, or off the dribble. Ironically, the area where we haven't seen him utilized much to date, in pick-and-pop action, is perhaps the area he has the most potential with his size. He's evolved nicely athletically, getting both lighter on his feet and showing some bounce when his momentum is at his back. He's a very good ball-handler for his size within the flow of the offense, able to drive close-outs effectively, and surprisingly effective inside the lane with a series of flip shots and floaters. What separates him from other potential shooting forwards or stretch-fours is the confidence and competitive edge he plays with.

Weaknesses:
He's a little limited laterally on the defensive end and so while his skill set may lead some to describe him as a big wing, he's a straight stretch-four right now based on his defensive abilities. The problem is that he doesn't always rebound the ball well enough off the defensive glass at that spot. Offensively, he has a tendency to hunt shots at times, especially when he isn't being utilized consistently within the flow of the game, and his stroke can get a little flat at times when he starts forcing it. His general energy level can be impacted by his offensive involvement as well. He's not the type of guy who is going to consistently create his offense off the dribble and needs to be a little bit more willing passer at times as well.

Bottom Line:
Swider is an elite shooter who plays the game with a confidence and edge that makes him capable of catching fire offensively at virtually any given time. He's evolved nicely physically, but needs to continue to work on his consistency on the defensive end as well as on the glass.

He looks perfect for the zone... Lateral movement at the bottom of the zone is not a must

Interesting how there were tweets confirmed mutual interest etc in the first 12-24 hours and now it's kinda quiet.

This was an old breakdown from ESPN on Cole in HS.

Strengths:
Swider is one of the elite shooters in the national class. His release is pure and quick with the ability to make shots in bunches and in any number of ways - running to spots in transition, coming off screens, or off the dribble. Ironically, the area where we haven't seen him utilized much to date, in pick-and-pop action, is perhaps the area he has the most potential with his size. He's evolved nicely athletically, getting both lighter on his feet and showing some bounce when his momentum is at his back. He's a very good ball-handler for his size within the flow of the offense, able to drive close-outs effectively, and surprisingly effective inside the lane with a series of flip shots and floaters. What separates him from other potential shooting forwards or stretch-fours is the confidence and competitive edge he plays with.

Weaknesses:
He's a little limited laterally on the defensive end and so while his skill set may lead some to describe him as a big wing, he's a straight stretch-four right now based on his defensive abilities. The problem is that he doesn't always rebound the ball well enough off the defensive glass at that spot. Offensively, he has a tendency to hunt shots at times, especially when he isn't being utilized consistently within the flow of the game, and his stroke can get a little flat at times when he starts forcing it. His general energy level can be impacted by his offensive involvement as well. He's not the type of guy who is going to consistently create his offense off the dribble and needs to be a little bit more willing passer at times as well.

Bottom Line:
Swider is an elite shooter who plays the game with a confidence and edge that makes him capable of catching fire offensively at virtually any given time. He's evolved nicely physically, but needs to continue to work on his consistency on the defensive end as well as on the glass.
I went and watched goodine at St. Andrews once and walked away thinking damn wish swider was coming. Could be coming true a bit late...

He looks perfect for the zone... Lateral movement at the bottom of the zone is not a must
Not true at all. The forwards are responsible for coverage beyond the 3 pt line above the foul line extended on strong side, to the opposite side low blocks on ball reversal. No position in JBs 2-3 has more coverage responsibilities than the forwards.

To be clear, I’m not commenting on Swider’s ability to cover, only the fallacy that lateral movement is “not a must.”

Is their legit concern somewhere that Benny is going to jump to the G League or overseas?
No, there aren't any rumors or concern as far as I know, I'm just saying that judging by the fact that our last two 5 star commits (Bazley and Johnson) backed out, I'm taking a 'I'll wait and see' approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom