Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only bad post in this thread is the implication you can tell much about a person’s character based on “how they speak.” A recruit with NBA aspirations is not going to be spending much time studying. Would be naive to think otherwise. I have no reason to think anything bad about Benny. I hope he’s great. just being realistic.

He has pointed to academics numerous times. Not sure why that is getting lost here.

I don’t think any serious college athletes are studying much at all

Tyus Battle nearly graduated in 3 years w/ a computer engineering degree.

Rak Xmas graduated in 3 years and was nearly done w/ his Masters by the end of the 4th.

We've had numerous other athletes KILL IT academically over the years.

Not true at all. The forwards are responsible for coverage beyond the 3 pt line above the foul line extended on strong side, to the opposite side low blocks on ball reversal. No position in JBs 2-3 has more coverage responsibilities than the forwards.

To be clear, I’m not commenting on Swider’s ability to cover, only the fallacy that lateral movement is “not a must.”
This is a bit of a picky point. Lateral movement is VERY important for a defender. But those coverage responsibilities are sprint recovers, not really lateral movement.

The only bad post in this thread is the implication you can tell much about a person’s character based on “how they speak.” A recruit with NBA aspirations is not going to be spending much time studying. Would be naive to think otherwise. I have no reason to think anything bad about Benny. I hope he’s great. just being realistic.
I'm not the one who said that yours was a bad post, but who said a word about anyone's character? It would be "naive" to think that a guy who went to a good private school, talks about academics, and communicates very well wouldn't value education more than a guy like Dior who switches schools like people change socks. It's also ridiculous to state that every recruit with NBA aspirations doesn't study and there's a ton of examples to back that up.

I do think Swider would be a good addition.

how much do you honestly think academics played into his recruitment? I reject the notion that we can forecast Dior being a bad student and Benny being a great one based on “how they speak.” And what is the tuition at Diors high schools
It’s a pretty good school. It was actually good enough for Trumps son to attend. You can’t survive at St. Andrews if you don’t work hard. I don’t know about Dior, but I guarantee that Benny’s parents looked at the academic programs at all of the schools that recruited him.

Final warning.

Cole.

Swider.

Only.

GIF by CBS

Because a GIF is always necessary

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t end up here and tbh not a huge fan of this sign. We are going to be so limited athletically next year and slow.

JG3, Buddy, Swider and Boeheim jr...I really don’t get what the staff is doing here to be frank. We are putting together a squad that has Colgate athleticism. Yes they are more SKILLED but how the hell does the staff expect us to compete athletically next year in the ACC. I’m not going to lie it’s getting tough to be excited about next year. I legit don’t think Swider is an upgrade over Newton and Symir certainly isn’t an upgrade over Kadary...I have no clue what the hell the staff is going for right now and it’s
u have no clue , I would agree with that part!

This was a couple days ago but definitely one that I would be nervous about even if they are not working the hardest.

Two things about that video...

It's become a cliche to say a player can score from all three levels... With most guys it's just not true. While Swider's best skill seems to be his three point shooting, he has a lumbering, crafty method of getting to the paint. He uses his size to create space really well. A lot of his drives seem to turn into post up moves. He also seems to use the pump fake for getting open mid range shots. Scored from all three levels. :) He seems like he could be a very tough cover and a great offensive piece.

Second, after looking at his offensive highlights, I have to wonder, "just how bad on defense is he that he couldn't get a lot of playing time?" His rate stats as a rebounder aren't bad and he doesn't turn it over much (.8 per 40), so why not have him out there?

Of course, you can't tell a lot from a guys best 20 plays, but it does illustrate a very high ceiling as an offensive player. And unlike most recruits, this guy was playing against mid major and high major competition.

EDIT: looking at Nova's roster, they had five other top 50 forwards this season, including a senior ranked about the same as Swider and a top 20 guy. Wright may just have played everybody 20 minutes in an effort to keep them happy, ready and fresh in a weird season where you never knew who you would have any given game.

Last edited:
We do need another high level athlete, but with Jimmy coming and Symir coming I’m not sure where we would be able to sign one if we get Cole.

Offense / Defense. You need balance.

Until I hear Benny is on campus, I'm assuming:

JG3
Buddy
Jimmy
Swider
Edwards

I still hope for a 4th guard, capable of starting at PG and moving Joe to the first guard off the bench.

I would die if Benny doesn't get to campus.

If we have

PG / TBD
Buddy
Benny
Swider
Edwards

Then:

Joe G
Frank
Symir
And we need another forward - Woody? I doubt it, but since Braswell is leaving, (along with probably Griffin, Dolezaj and Guerrier) that's our best hope...

I think that could be a pretty good team, if we can add another forward, a center with some bulk (230-240), and a true PG.

But I don't see Buddy / Joe / Symir alone as an elite backcourt. You need another guy who is a proven guy who can break down defenses and find open guys. We don't have that guy yet.

I still hope for a 4th guard, capable of starting at PG and moving Joe to the first guard off the bench.

I would die if Benny doesn't get to campus.

If we have

PG / TBD
Buddy
Benny
Swider
Edwards

Then:

Joe G
Frank
Symir
And we need another forward - Woody? I doubt it, but since Braswell is leaving, (along with probably Griffin, Dolezaj and Guerrier) that's our best hope...

I think that could be a pretty good team, if we can add another forward, a center with some bulk (230-240), and a true PG.

But I don't see Buddy / Joe / Symir alone as an elite backcourt. You need another guy who is a proven guy who can break down defenses and find open guys. We don't have that guy yet.
You must be smoking something if you think there is a chance some stud PG is coming and starting plus you want a big stud in the post also. So does 330 other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom