Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think folks need to wrap their heads around too that with Overtime Elite/g-league/overseas options becoming more enticing, the reality is you're going to put some effort into kids that never even come close to playing college ball.

Exactly. It's a proven path to the NBA now and the examples are only going to increase in number. It may very likely move collegiate hoops to being about giving a kid a scholarship and a chance to hone their craft on the court as well, over time. Nowadays its a stepping stone for those who are destined to play in the NBA because they are 70-80 pct ready for pro ball when they step on campus.

Im not gonna argue it out again because let's be honest- you tend to argue from the perspective that you can't ever possibly be wrong. So we won't ever overlap. No shade just pointing out how every debate goes. We are a board full of stubborn asses and that's ok. I am as well.

I think the low hanging fruit of problems has been there for a long time and any observer can see it. When you get beyond that it's just an oversimplification because like you said- you aren't a CBB coach, nor am I.

Five years ago maybe new blood is the answer maybe not. Now there are far bigger issues- someone has to be willing to spend the money to compete. Otherwise you can rotate every coach your heart desires in and if we don't have the players to put money on the table then there will always be a better offer. The staff couldn't have done more from what we know about them in terms of being out there recruiting hard for the 22 class. We are just running into a different kind of challenge based on Kamari's NLI comments.
Kamari comes off as someone who knows very little about the rules.

NIL cannot be used as a recruiting tool. A department can give student-athletes tools like INFLCR ('Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL - Syracuse University Athletics) to assist with the enhancement of their brands, and can educate. But it cannot facilitate. That is against the rules. Does that mean others are doing other things to circumvent? Probably. Should we? Yes, I think we should. But what he is saying he wants is against the rules.

Buddy Boeheim has had plenty of opportunities. There will be many others on the team that do too. Kamari has no idea what he's talking about - he's getting bad advice from handlers. As have so many others.

Problem that I have is that we have too many of these "bad advise from handlers" guys that seem to commit to us. UConn has two top 50 commits in 2022. And have had better recruiting classes than us the last two years. Do they have advantages we don't? St. John's has the #48 kid in the country committed from Las Vegas. Offers from Kansas & LSU. Did they get a bag man better than we did?

Will NIL change the landscape? Possibly. Still way too early to say one way or another, despite the claims being made. But it shouldn't be a seismic shift either way for a program like Syracuse.

Im not gonna argue it out again because let's be honest- you tend to argue from the perspective that you can't ever possibly be wrong. So we won't ever overlap. No shade just pointing out how every debate goes. We are a board full of stubborn asses and that's ok. I am as well.

I think the low hanging fruit of problems has been there for a long time and any observer can see it. When you get beyond that it's just an oversimplification because like you said- you aren't a CBB coach, nor am I.

Five years ago maybe new blood is the answer maybe not. Now there are far bigger issues- someone has to be willing to spend the money to compete. Otherwise you can rotate every coach your heart desires in and if we don't have the players to put money on the table then there will always be a better offer. The staff couldn't have done more from what we know about them in terms of being out there recruiting hard for the 22 class. We are just running into a different kind of challenge based on Kamari's NLI comments.
I don’t argue from a position I am only right.
I argue what I believe and when I am proven wrong I say it.
I don’t accept the notion the staff has done a good job recently. I also don’t embrace the be a homer just because we are automatically right routine.

If people want to debate anything I say and don’t make it about me but rather what I say I love those discussions.

Our problems have gone unaddressed for years and then we act like things will just be better when that isn’t how it works.

Rich people are smart with their money.

I am not going to spend Weistman’s money for him. A lot of people here expect him too when we should wait to see if he is interested in that.
Mike Tyson wasn't. He's a booster of the program so yes people expect him to. That's what people involved with elite programs do.

its a generational thing...and not a positive trend. the ease of access people have to each other and to opportunities as a result of technology has made social interaction and connection (and people more generally) totally disposable - we're more connected than evr but those connections are as flimsy and meaningless as they have ever been in many cases... and for a lot of people - especially those at the top of the food chain - now any type of commitment or accountabilty is to be avoided at all costs...and nothing they say or do should be taken at face value.

If this is actually about NIL and how much money he can make at another school Im done with NCABB...still watch the tourney perhaps and the odd game here or there...but its just getting too ridiculous at this point for me to care enough to follow...and its only going to get worse from here, imo.

the only way it could ever conceivably fix itself is if people just stop watching en masse. so thats what I'll do.
or another scenario:

they could simply go full out under 22 pro league - keep the same brands as college has already established - and divorce the student-athlete from being students...allow them to take classes as much as they want...just take over the space that the gleague is swooping in on.

but stop the charade that this has anything to do with education/learning/etc at the highest levels of ncaabb. NIL has exploded tradition and the chance it could continue. accept it and adjust.

Just end the charade and use a salary cap or some such mechanism to keep it fair.

this is probably what I would prefer but even then it wouldnt be as good as it was in the past...but still way better than what is happening now.

as far as lands...i would say bye and good luck and close that door if I was in charge.

I don’t argue from a position I am only right.
I argue what I believe and when I am proven wrong I say it.
I don’t accept the notion the staff has done a good job recently. I also don’t embrace the be a homer just because we are automatically right routine.

If people want to debate anything I say and don’t make it about me but rather what I say I love those discussions.

Our problems have gone unaddressed for years and then we act like things will just be better when that isn’t how it works.

A lot to unpack here. I have never seen you once claim you were wrong so I guess I missed those- just always comes off that way to me so if I am reading it wrong that is my bad.

You are probably the loudest most repetitive voice for being displeased and the staff failing on here. To the point we all know what is coming before you post it. I don't think there is a soul left who posts here who doesn't know it.

Also I was pointing to recent recruiting efforts which have been better. So why dismiss that? Explain what the staff did wrong on the 22 class. I honestly would love to know since it seems they have been all over the trail in 22.

It's not about you- it's just the same thing every time and it's over and over again. That is all. Like I said there is no question where you stand and that until we have a top 10 class and and top 20 team in the regular season it will be posted 10 more times a month.

I think unaddressed is wrong. The attempts have not been successful or the players not panned out. The 22 class and efforts as part of it to me looked as good as we could hope as for effort and working hard. What else besides the money issue that is legit can we point to right now? I mean Lands spelled it out- it's NLI.

Last thing I'm not convinced we are failure of a program these days even compared to the past. I do think that the money itself as will be needed from the community and school to compete with the NLI is a far bigger concern. To me that becomes the first question and concern for the future, especially when our top rated committed recruit throws down that card with his decision.

Last edited:
A lot to unpack here. I have never seen you once claim you were wrong so I guess I missed those.

You are probably the loudest most repetitive voice for being displeased and the staff failing on here. To the point we all know what is coming before you post it. I don't think there is a soul left who posts here who doesn't know it.

Also I was pointing to recent recruiting efforts which have been better. So why dismiss that? Explain what the staff did wrong on the 22 class. I honestly would love to know since it seems they have been all over the trail in 22.

It's not about you- it's just the same thing every time and it's over and over again. That is all. Like I said there is no question where you stand and that until we have a top 10 class and and top 20 team in the regular season it will be posted 10 more times a month.

I think unaddressed is wrong. The attempts have not been successful or the players not panned out. The 22 class and efforts as part of it to me looked as good as we could hope as for effort and working hard. What else besides the money issue that is legit can we point to right now? I mean Lands spelled it out- it's NLI.
I have no idea what the effort level in recruiting is. This kid wants money not saying we should give it to him but if we are going to start getting big recruits again we are going to have to start doing what other programs are doing.

I have no idea what the effort level in recruiting is. This kid wants money not saying we should give it to him but if we are going to start getting big recruits again we are going to have to start doing what other programs are doing.

Yes - but there needs to be deep pockets to make that happen. Having one guy who loves SU and has put his money where his mouth is - is not the solution. The school itself isn't the one doing it at other programs. It's boosters and the community itself. Will alumni in NYC for instance start ponying up so we can get better recruits?

I think folks need to wrap their heads around too that with Overtime Elite/g-league/overseas options becoming more enticing, the reality is you're going to put some effort into kids that never even come close to playing college ball.
Bingo! Look at this years draft. 3 of top 7 picks from G league or Australia. Look at Lamelo ball scenario. These kids got paid to go to these places before getting paid to go to the league. Why honestly go to college if you’re a top 25 player?
When I was getting recruited to play division 1 golf, if someone said to me “hey we’re gonna pay you 500k to play on the korn ferry tour next year and then you will go the pga tour right after”, there would be a zero percent chance I go to college. Helping my parents being the main motivator immediately.
There are so many better ways to get better in athletics and usually playing against professionals in Australia and the G league instead of playing against Bourama gets you there quicker. Let’s stop overthinking this

Yes - but there needs to be deep pockets to make that happen. Having one guy who loves SU and has put his money where his mouth is - is not the solution. The school itself isn't the one doing it at other programs. It's boosters and the community itself. Will alumni in NYC for instance start ponying up so we can get better recruits?
Well there needs to be a discussion with the boosters and alumni with the deep pockets. Not trying to spend their money but if they want to.be elite there is a way to do it.

A lot to unpack here. I have never seen you once claim you were wrong so I guess I missed those- just always comes off that way to me so if I am reading it wrong that is my bad.

Last thing I'm not convinced we are failure of a program these days even compared to the past. I do think that the money itself as will be needed from the community and school to compete with the NLI is a far bigger concern. To me that becomes the first question and concern for the future, especially when our top rated committed recruit throws down that card with his decision.

I can post a lot more.
I get plenty wrong. I also don’t hide from it.
I am repetitive I get that. I don’t post in everything but when a topic comes up I don’t hesitate to say what I think.

When changes happen I will be the first to say it’s great. I am from Missouri now with the basketball program.
They have to show me change for me to believe it.

I agree. We can still be Syracuse from a basketball perspective and other small schools being elite shows that. The chicken little sht is just noise cause people are upset. Still time to make up for this if we can sign a couple guys we are currently after.
Anyone certain about what Gonzaga offers that we can’t beat?

I can post a lot more.
I get plenty wrong. I also don’t hide from it.
I am repetitive I get that. I don’t post in everything but when a topic comes up I don’t hesitate to say what I think.

When changes happen I will be the first to say it’s great. I am from Missouri now with the basketball program.
They have to show me change for me to believe it.
I agree with all your points in here but you need a new line. You've used the Missouri line to death.

Bingo! Look at this years draft. 3 of top 7 picks from G league or Australia. Look at Lamelo ball scenario. These kids got paid to go to these places before getting paid to go to the league. Why honestly go to college if you’re a top 25 player?
When I was getting recruited to play division 1 golf, if someone said to me “hey we’re gonna pay you 500k to play on the korn ferry tour next year and then you will go the pga tour right after”, there would be a zero percent chance I go to college. Helping my parents being the main motivator immediately.
There are so many better ways to get better in athletics and usually playing against professionals in Australia and the G league instead of playing against Bourama gets you there quicker. Let’s stop overthinking this
You're moving the goalposts a bit.

Jalen Green - Never committed to a college. Auburn & Memphis were in the mix. Auburn had the #10 class, Memphis #24.

Jonathan Kuminga - Never committed to a college. Duke, Kentucky, Auburn, Texas Tech involved. They all were fine from a recruiting class perspective.

Josh Giddey - Never expressed an interest in playing college basketball. Originally from Australia.

There's always going to be a percentage of top kids who are going to do their own thing and get paid early. That's been happening forever.

The issue I see is we have not hit many kids who are upper echelon and have expressed interest in going to college. Top 30-50 kids who aren't looking at the things the Top 25 are generally looking at.

Tyus Battle, Jalen Carey & Benny Williams are the only three Top 40 kids we have hit on in the last 6 years. That's a long time for a program who was used to pulling in at least one of these types of kids each year for 20 years.

Anyone certain about what Gonzaga offers that we can’t beat?
Right now from a purely basketball perspective...consistently being a top 10 team in the CBB, much higher exposure esp during the non con (even in WCC play, Zags are still talked about throughout the season), minimum a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney guaranteed.

Right now from a purely basketball perspective...consistently being a top 10 team in the CBB, much higher exposure esp during the non con (even in WCC play, Zags are still talked about throughout the season), minimum a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney guaranteed.
They are an elite program right now and ahead of us for sure. I do wonder if those guys get.bored playing.against the San Diego's and Portland's for two months

Lots of hand-wringing here. With Weitsman we have one of the best NIL advantages in the entire country. People comparing him to a car dealer in LSU is absurd. Westry is Not going to Lsu because a booster outbid Adam. Let Lands test the waters. If he doesn't choose us ITS NOT ABOUT MONEY. Times have changed we have the moneyman now.
I don’t disagree with your premise. But these big schools especially in the SEC have 10-20 Weitsmans.

I don’t disagree with your premise. But these big schools especially in the SEC have 10-20 Weitsmans.

they also have more smaller millionaires who are willing to spend money on college athletics

they also have more smaller millionaires who are willing to spend money on college athletics

NOT “college athletics”.

College Football.

It remains to be seen if any non-Kentucky $€¢ team has big-time hoops boosters ready and willing to pony up for shooty-hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom