Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so I guess he's quite a bit shorter than he says is and is listed. Now I guess the 6'6" without shoes must not be a typo. I have to think we are thinking of him as a 3 with that height. That kind of changes my perspective a little. He really looks 6'9", especially when he's standing next to other bigs or playingagainsg them.
Everyone's height is misrepresented. His 6'7 is 6'9 with respect to all of the other 6'9?? guys out there.

I would almost rather him be 6 foot 6. Then he can play up top in the zone. We could very well have three returning very skilled forwards already. Guard is more questionable w FH, a transfer, a frosh and Howard W.

I would almost rather him be 6 foot 6. Then he can play up top in the zone. We could very well have three returning very skilled forwards already. Guard is more questionable w FH, a transfer, a frosh and Howard W.
He won't be playing at the top of the zone. He isn't a guard. The top will have Carey, Hughes, Howard, if he is still here. Bazley will be in the back.

He won't be playing at the top of the zone. He isn't a guard. The top will have Carey, Hughes, Howard, if he is still here. Bazley will be in the back.
i think he's a 2-3 at the next level, but you are right: at syracuse, he's a forward. he'll be the kind of do-everything forward around whom jb has always built his best teams

I am supremely happy that he isn't 6-6.

Given Bazely's versatility, I have visions of how Carmelo used to dominate 6-6 guys in the post during our run to the championship. Too skilled for bigs who aren't used to guarding guys on the perimeter, too big for mid-size guys to handle down low.

Given Bazely's versatility, I have visions of how Carmelo used to dominate 6-6 guys in the post during our run to the championship. Too skilled for bigs who aren't used to guarding guys on the perimeter, too big for mid-size guys to handle down low.
i don't think that vision will hold; carmelo was thick, baze is a stick. melo as a hs senior was 30 pounds heavier than baze is right now.

my point is that 6-9 with a 6-11 wingspan is not impressive; that's an average wingspan for that height. and that is average for everyone; an nba player's wingspan is typically 4 or 5 inches longer than his height. and bazley's wingspan seems to me to be quite a bit more than average (again with the proviso that judging from clips is problematic).

not me: 6-6 with a 6-11 wingspan is outstanding, especially for a kid with his skillset; that kind of length on the wing is awesome.

Yes but add in the dribbling and handle to a 6 9 guy and your on a new planet. Not to mention his instincts and court sense

Go thru thread. He is 6'6" without shoes (allegedly). Looks so much taller.

i don't think that vision will hold; carmelo was thick, baze is a stick. melo as a hs senior was 30 pounds heavier than baze is right now.

Not exactly. He was around 200 pounds, then put on 25 by the time he arrived at SU. He went from being a lithe wing a la James White to a versatile, strong guy. The coaching staff was surprised by the transformation.

Bazely is just beginning his senior year now. Let's see how he looks after another year of physical maturity.

Basketball height--hilarious how they are always exaggerated! In the program, he'll be 6-9.

Yeah, I don't know why I'm getting so hung up on it but it's a huge disparity.

20171010_122719.png

Emmit Williams is supposedly 6'8 now maybe he isn't quite 6'8 who knows but bazley is not 6'6. He is most definitely taller then battle is and a lot longer. Guys are reading into these alleged measurements way too much! He is exactly everything we originally thought he was and is a mismatch nightmare that's going to wreak havoc all over the court. Should be able to put on some more size by the time he hits our court, there is no reason why he can't impact the game like how we used melo.

View attachment 112257
Emmit Williams is supposedly 6'8 now maybe he isn't quite 6'8 who knows but bazley is not 6'6. He is most definitely taller then battle is and a lot longer. Guys are reading into these alleged measurements way too much! He is exactly everything we originally thought he was and is a mismatch nightmare that's going to wreak havoc all over the court. Should be able to put on some more size by the time he hits our court, there is no reason why he can't impact the game like how we used melo.
Imagine if he was emmits size

Not exactly. He was around 200 pounds, then put on 25 by the time he arrived at SU. He went from being a lithe wing a la James White to a versatile, strong guy. The coaching staff was surprised by the transformation.

Bazely is just beginning his senior year now. Let's see how he looks after another year of physical maturity.
Absolutely. Carmelo may have never gone to college if he weighed the size he was in Aug 02' back in May of '02. At that time, the top 5 guys all went straight to the pros. He gained those valuable lbs at the perfect time for him to show up at cuse.

View attachment 112257
Williams measured 6'5" at the same event.

I wouldn't be worried about height. He may still be growing and we have other guys who can play the 4.
Exactly. It's all about length, aka wingspan. And this kid is long.

"The best shooter here is Darius Bazley. He’s cash money behind the three. Dude's going to make some noise at Syracuse that's for sure." -Scottie Barnes

Not trying to read into that quote, but it's still nice to have a guy we've offered, Barnes, name-dropping SU. There's no obvious reason for him to reference what school Bazely's going to, so I'll take it as a positive that he did.

Having a guy like Bazely come to SU is priceless in terms of the positive effect it has on other recruits. It shows them that we're a worthy destination for a top-10 (maybe top 5?) player. Obviously we've got a lot of other selling points as a program, but having a kid like that pick us is the best kind of marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom