Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Only that he has the potential to develop into the type of player Bazley is today. I’m not saying that potential will be realized. No guarantees.

Ohh, so youre saying that when braswell is a finished product, he will be better than a hs senior who hasnt been through a real s&c program. Thats an odd way to look at it but i get the logic considering baz wouldve only been with us one year.

Ohh, so youre saying that when braswell is a finished product, he will be better than a hs senior who hasnt been through a real s&c program. Thats an odd way to look at it but i get the logic considering baz wouldve only been with us one year.
You're trying to have it both ways, but whatever.

Ya actually surprised no ones brought that up yet. Still way more shooting ability that grant will never possess
Last year Grant was 54% from the floor and 30% from 3; the NBA 3 vs NBA defenders. Lets not get carried away trying to compare Grant to a 6'8" HS player shooting over shorter and very pedestrian competition using a much smaller 3 point line.

Why can’t we have nice things.
This kid is needed depth.
Nobody should be saying anything but good job.
He isn’t going to be a star in the next couple of years and if he is then we hit the lottery.
Our program needs more 4 year depth kids and this kid fits that build.
End of debate.

Last year Grant was 54% from the floor and 30% from 3; the NBA 3 vs NBA defenders. Lets not get carried away trying to compare Grant to a 6'8" HS player shooting over shorter and very pedestrian competition using a much smaller 3 point line.
I stand by the fact that rober Braswell is a better shooter the grant

Bazley could be potentially be a lottery pick next year. Braswell was a 2/3 star recruit no one heard of 3 weeks ago.

I love the pickup this late into the cycle and his potential as well; but to say he can be as good as Bazley in 3 years? You could definitely say he’ll help us more in 3 years than Bazley would though
I agree with you but it doesn’t mean he can’t be as good as Bazley down the road. Rankings don’t mean everything. They’re typically right but not always.

Braswell is no Bazley. Period.

But, he’s an excellent late pickup, and the comparisons to Southy - as an incoming Frosh, NOT Senior Southy - are apt.

James Southerland

James did almost nothing as a Frosh, and was effective sporadically as a Soph.
(BJ Johnson also had a similar career arc.)

It wasn’t until Jr year that the Dirty South we all know and love appeared.
And then as a Sr, he was a lethal shooter and floor spacer, decent rebounder, and no longer a liability in the zone.

Sr Southy > Fr Braswell, because of course.

Fr Braswell will likely be > Fr Southy, because of opportunity.

Jr Braswell > Jr Bazley, because there’s no way Bazley would still be around as a Jr.

Last edited:
Why can’t we have nice things.
This kid is needed depth.
Nobody should be saying anything but good job.
He isn’t going to be a star in the next couple of years and if he is then we hit the lottery.
Our program needs more 4 year depth kids and this kid fits that build.
End of debate.

Agree with this 100x over. We were all ready to go into next year without him, so how can having him be anything but a positive. He does't have to contribute next year. If he does, fantastic!

no one knew who this guy was a few weeks ago. but now we go him, so it is great. LOL

You were really on a roll last night. This wasn't even your best stuff. I loved the lacrosse thread where you questioned how long we were supposed to have fan boards to discuss bad sports like you had a gun to your head.

This is too cool. I make my first recruiting post on a player and we sign him.
When I first saw him I immediately thought he would be a perfect fit for our zone, and I know Boeheim recruits zone first.
Then after realizing he can actually shoot and pass, it was a no brainer. This kid is still available with mid level offers and we just got spurned by Bazely. Go after him!

Good job coaching staff for nailing this kid down in a short amount of time.

Can’t wait to see him slam jamming in the Dome.

You're trying to have it both ways, but whatever.

You are insinuating one replaces the other and thats just not accurate. Kid is a nice pickup though.

Heard anything about the other? Wonder if there will be another visit or if he’s ready to make a decision shortly...

Nada -- but I'd expect that we'll see a rapid decision, with the timing associated with the May signing period [I believe he has until May 16th]. Fingers crossed, because I like Osuniyi's potential and think he'd be a great fit in our system. Kid really looks like he's only beginning to scratch the surface.

interesting player comparos, but the real comparo should be, will he help us more next season than matt would have?

bras gives us an outside threat, matt did not.

bras will run the floor better.

matt was ok in the zone, if bras can match that he will get some minutes, if not he sits for a year to learn.

bras is a better ball handler.

i will give rebounding edge to matt for next season because he is stronger.

bras is a better passer.

so my bottom line is that bras has more upside and will be much better on o compared to matt.

the d, however, remains to be seen for next season.

interesting player comparos, but the real comparo should be, will he help us more next season than matt would have?

matt was ok in the zone, if bras can match that he will get some minutes, if not he sits for a year to learn.

bras is a better passer.

so my bottom line is that bras has more upside and will be much better on o compared to matt.

Agree...the one area that I know I will personally miss from Matt, is his energy. When he went off in the garden, his excitement was just so much fun to watch...especially when the rest of the team had a very off night!

Great pick up, clearly he's not going to replace Bazley ( who could at this point?) but to get another true Forward in this class with this kind of upside in Mid - May is fantastic. If we can close out on the Center prospect this will be a great class.

bras is a better passer.

I know how excited people get over every single recruit until they actually watch them play and then the excitement fades quick. I just don't see any chance in reality that freshman Braswell helps this years team more than a RS-So Moyer would have. His long term potential is higher but to think he's getting enough minutes to where his outside shot and passing make any difference is highly unlikely. He's going to be battling Buddy to be the 8th man in what is more than likely a 7 man rotation during conf play. Moyers experience and ability to give a few mins as Sidibe insurance would be more beneficial than anything I'd expect us to see in year 1 from Braswell.

Braswell on the team is the difference between being on probation and being finished with probation.

The odds are high that he will be a 3-4 yr player. He is thin, but skilled. He has lots to work on, but when you are on probation, you don't have enough scholarships that you can afford to take a player like this and develop him.
Now that probation is essentially over, you can afford to take the talent and develop him. These are the kinds of players that smooth out ups and downs in the program. If he is patient enough, I predict that he will be a high impact player as a senior, and possibly as a junior as well. He could be a starter, or key 6th man, depending on the recruits that come in. Despite what many of you say, JB is an elite developer of players. Amongst the best in the business. They improve because of him, not despite him. As long as they listen to him.

As I have said countless times on this board, losing the ability to offer scholarships to these types of players is what probation is designed to do. The loss of opportunity to them is the primary impact. This leaves the program with a razor thin margin to maintain relevancy. If you miss on just 1-2 kids, your program will slide. These kids give you the ability to miss (as all coaches will) sometimes.

This is what has happened to SU. Despite the common theme amongst a certain group of people on the board. You need perfection to stay elite, and no one is perfect. But hey, you keep up the theme that JB has lost it. You keep up the theme that the assistants suck.

SU is unfettered again, they will be back, and now be able to do some damage to the ACC.

Braswell on the team is the difference between being on probation and being finished with probation.

The odds are high that he will be a 3-4 yr player. He is thin, but skilled. He has lots to work on, but when you are on probation, you don't have enough scholarships that you can afford to take a player like this and develop him.
Now that probation is essentially over, you can afford to take the talent and develop him. These are the kinds of players that smooth out ups and downs in the program. If he is patient enough, I predict that he will be a high impact player as a senior, and possibly as a junior as well. He could be a starter, or key 6th man, depending on the recruits that come in. Despite what many of you say, JB is an elite developer of players. Amongst the best in the business. They improve because of him, not despite him. As long as they listen to him.

As I have said countless times on this board, losing the ability to offer scholarships to these types of players is what probation is designed to do. The loss of opportunity to them is the primary impact. This leaves the program with a razor thin margin to maintain relevancy. If you miss on just 1-2 kids, your program will slide. These kids give you the ability to miss (as all coaches will) sometimes.

This is what has happened to SU. Despite the common theme amongst a certain group of people on the board. You need perfection to stay elite, and no one is perfect. But hey, you keep up the theme that JB has lost it. You keep up the theme that the assistants suck.

SU is unfettered again, they will be back, and now be able to do some damage to the ACC.
This.

Despite what many of you say, JB is an elite developer of players. Amongst the best in the business. They improve because of him, not despite him. As long as they listen to him.

I couldn't agree more with this analysis, and with all of what you wrote. But you've thrown down the gauntlet by defending JB like this. What are you, some kind of sycophant or something?

You are insinuating one replaces the other and thats just not accurate. Kid is a nice pickup though.
No, I’m not. Not in any way, shape, or form. That’s what you’re inferring, despite the fact that I’ve gone out of my way to qualify my point repeatedly.