Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

I think the most important thing about Dasher's information is that the staff is exploring their options. They are not "putting all their eggs in one basket". If Ayala wants this opportunity, he should jump at it now.
Or the staff knows Ayala isn't coming so they are moving onto the next target.

The staff doesn't deserve credit for moving on. Ayala was the all eggs in the basket freshman guard target.

The backups are the European recruit, and all grad transfers. The staff wanted Ayala. We are likely moving on because he rejected our overture for 2017.

Kids don't seem to commit early anymore. Moyer was an exception. I don't think that's the fault of the staff, they just need to come up with a new tactic.
Are you for real? This is the first cycle in basketball recruiting for 99% of all elite kids to not all be wrapped up by now.

Thompson was the exception last year till this year.
Most college HS recruitments are done by December each year.

This is not normal for 2017 to have this many elite prospects uncommitted.

Photobucket burning couch

ETA: after reading that interview, he has definitely bigger goals than just playing two seasons at Syracuse. I don't understand how everything happens in recruiting, but it boggles my mind that SU can't get some higher rated kids to come when there are plenty of minutes for the taking. Objectively, I don't see that much of a difference in major programs (top-30 or so). There are 390 roster spots there, probably only 100 openings available every year, and then only a fraction of those can offer significant minutes to a freshman.

Any of those programs will get a recruit plenty of development, coaching, BMOC benefits, networked into a professional gig, etc. To me the only differences are how much you'll play and how you'll play.
Sure, there are minutes available for Ayala, but not starter's minutes. He probably thinks it's only a matter of time before Duke and Kentucky come calling.

Tucker's a special case because we bailed on him.

Are you for real? This is the first cycle in basketball recruiting for 99% of all elite kids to not all be wrapped up by now.

Thompson was the exception last year till this year.
Most college HS recruitments are done by December each year.

This is not normal for 2017 to have this many elite prospects uncommitted.
I'm talking about Ayala. Getting a 2018 kid to commit and reclassify is basically the same as getting him to commit early.

The staff doesn't deserve credit for moving on. Ayala was the all eggs in the basket freshman guard target.

The backups are the European recruit, and all grad transfers. The staff wanted Ayala. We are likely moving on because he rejected our overture for 2017.

I'm not sure of the all eggs in the basket. I know for a fact we reached out to another HS PG.

I guess it is in how you look at it, with incomplete information. I choose to look at it as they have an established number one target, but they have a back up plan or two. Also, I see a reinvigorated JB out on the recruiting trail evaluating everyone for future classes as well. For whatever reason he hasn't been active in recruiting for over a year, he is back.

It's not an all eggs in the basket approach if there are backups.

SU: rent-a-PG University.

Remember the days when we used to have some continuity from one season to another at the PG position?
I remember thinking that we were going to drop significantly when Pearl left. How could we replace him, and then boom Sherm!!! Hopefully when sanctions are over, we can get back to having some roster balance. Tough with one and dones though.

I hear that it is iffy with Ayala. At least for now. Ayala has loyalty to a AAU guy. Having said that, our plan B is pretty good. We will all be hearing about it soon.
How likely is our plan B to come true?

Welcome to college basketball. It's amazing that some of you guys think we're the only school in the country affected by stuff like this.

Don't patronize me and don't assume that I think "we're the only school in the country affected by stuff like this". Pointing out the fact that we've had a revolving door at the PG position since Scoop graduated doesn't mean I don't know anything about college basketball.

I hear that it is iffy with Ayala. At least for now. Ayala has loyalty to a AAU guy. Having said that, our plan B is pretty good. We will all be hearing about it soon.

You owe me an apology. I stated we didn't know if Ayala would reclassify, let alone sign with Syracuse. You flat out said "you're wrong."

This is the type of thing that gets under my skin. I understand that you may have "connections" but YOU are not EA. Until any kid actually signs you are speculating... perhaps a more educated guess than most because of your connections, but still a guess. Just saying...

Welcome to college basketball. It's amazing that some of you guys think we're the only school in the country affected by stuff like this.

We're one of the only, if not the only, schools in our peer group who haven't been able to find a point guard in the last 4 recruiting cycles.

Fingers crossed I'm not still reading "Yea but nobody expected Ennis to leave after his freshman season..." a year from now.

Hope the new players adjust to the zone faster next year. Please no non- conference fiascos
Call me crazy, but I think JB learned from last year. It didn't help that White committed right before classes started. And some of those non-conference losses might have been avoided had we made the switch to Gillon at PG earlier. I'm sure Brissett and Sidibe will get minutes, but probably not as many minutes as Battle and Thompson did as freshman.

Don't patronize me and don't assume that I think "we're the only school in the country affected by stuff like this". Pointing out the fact that we've had a revolving door at the PG position since Scoop graduated doesn't mean I don't know anything about college basketball.
That's a slight overreaction. Just a tad.

You owe me an apology. I stated we didn't know if Ayala would reclassify, let alone sign with Syracuse. You flat out said "you're wrong."

This is the type of thing that gets under my skin. I understand that you may have "connections" but YOU are not EA. Until any kid actually signs you are speculating... perhaps a more educated guess than most because of your connections, but still a guess. Just saying...
You're overly concerned with being right and getting props for it.

The problem was we anticipated Ennis as more than a 1 year guy.
The coaches didn't see him blowing up. The problem is with our system and not subbing it overinflates players stats because they are playing high 30MPG while other players are playing less.

Thus Ennis value overinflated and he was wise to go.
When we were dominant 2010-2012 the team was super deep and minutes weren't overly high for anybody.

Dion Waiters our best college player since Melo only played 24MPG in 2012. That is so laughable with how many minutes are guards have played per game since.

I'm not sure of the all eggs in the basket. I know for a fact we reached out to another HS PG.
I love the sound of this. And you know it's not a project AKA HW type because we can't afford to take two of them so it's gotta be a PG the staff trust can come in and play some good minutes right away

I love the sound of this. And you know it's not a project AKA HW type because we can't afford to take two of them so it's gotta be a PG the staff trust can come in and play some good minutes right away

He chose to commit elsewhere. My only point was it wasn't all or nothing with Ayala. It may be now but it wasn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom