Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Plan A was Green at guard and Randolph on the wing. Ayala and Tucker were both fall back options after we lost out on those primary targets-- admittedly, good fall back options, but they were the Plan B's.

We might be on to Plan C at this point at both positions -- with Dolezaj and Thorpe. That's not a knock on either player -- they are pretty good / much better than we should be able to hope for from third options. Dolezaj in particular looks like he might have NBA potential.
When can we start talking plan D's?!?

Thorpe would be a perfect fit for what we need right now. I really hope both sides are interested and he likes it here.

We will get 2/3 of Thorpe Ayala and Euro

Hopefully. Need at least one of something. Euro, and either guard would be great though. Thorpe is a great shooter. If gilardino is right, then hoping for Thorpe, and Marek.

That backcourt with Tyus would be lethal scoring. The frontcourt would be tall as can be with rebounding, and hopefully great D.

It seems the recruits have all the power we are backed in a corner with plenty of playing time available but we can't give a scholarship away? I don't understand Syracuse is still a great basketball school.

It seems the recruits have all the power we are backed in a corner with plenty of playing time available but we can't give a scholarship away? I don't understand Syracuse is still a great basketball school.

When there aren't many uncommitted guys left and you aren't very active in the grad transfer market what does the recruit lose by waiting? This is really all a product of the Quade Green fiasco and passing on other PG's to keep him happy even though he wouldn't commit to SU.

That's pretty fine with me so long as we land Thorpe. I think Thorpe will provide us an opportunity to get back to march given we land mr slovak too.

It doesn't seem like we will bring Thorpe in. (I know that's mind boggling) It seems we will either add Ayala or go with the Howards and Battle in the backcourt.

It doesn't seem like we will bring Thorpe in. (I know that's mind boggling) It seems we will either add Ayala or go with the Howards and Battle in the backcourt.
I don't get this about Thorpe at all. I'm fine with Ayala, but obviously something is holding him back from committing. I just hope the staff isn't telling Ayala to take his time thinking he will come here, only to find out he changes his mind last minute, after Thorpe already committed elsewhere.

I don't get this about Thorpe at all. I'm fine with Ayala, but obviously something is holding him back from committing. I just hope the staff isn't telling Ayala to take his time thinking he will come here, only to find out he changes his mind last minute, after Thorpe already committed elsewhere.

I'm not sure but I think its more of a we aren't interested in Thorpe (or perhaps any grad transfers) and if Ayala stays in 18 then we are comfortable with who we have.

Possibly having only 3 eligible guards :confused:

Nope just nope. Won't accept this potential reality.

Maybe he just wants to finish playing AAU. The last session ends the 28th so I'm sure we'll hear something soon after that.

Maybe he just wants to finish playing AAU. The last session ends the 28th so I'm sure we'll hear something soon after that.

That is 100% possible and he "may have" even told the staff that he would be committing after that. I personally do not feel comfortable relying on that especially given recent history. I do hope that is the case though.

Last edited:
Possibly having only 3 eligible guards :confused:
This is what concerns me. Yes, I know we have often played with only 3 guards, but it leaves us no margin for error. What happens if somebody gets hurt? Although I am concerned about the guard play for us this year from a talent perspective (besides Battle), my concern above is a depth issue. Lets say for the sake of argument we get no more guards. Who is our fourth emergency guard now? Autry Jr.?

Last edited:

I hope there's some silent thing going on here if it's true that the staff doesn't have interest in bringing in Thorpe. Makes zero sense unless they have another combo guard lined up like Ayala.

We really would be a great spot for him. He can get some minutes at the 1 or 2 this year, then be ready for a bigger role next year when Tyus leaves. Hughes would be playing the 2 or 3, so still plenty of time available. Add Marek for the 3/4, and good to go. Ah, if only it was that easy.

I'm one of the few that thinks Frank will improve, and do well. Still, HW may not quite be ready for major minutes, and Battle shouldn't have to play 40 minutes a game. HW, and Thorpe could spell him a bit while Thorpe and Frank fight for the PG job. JB must have the same confidence in Frank that I do. I don't wanna bring in another freshman PG, but we need a combo guard. Which is why I'm fine with not going after Waters.

Thorpe, and Ayala fit the bill. Bringing in Thorpe would probably crush Frank's confidence, I guess, but someone has to be able to help Tyus out. We shall see how it all shakes out. The staff obviously has a plan. Just gotta sit back, and wait to see what it is it seems.

I just refuse to believe this is true because it makes no sense to me whatsoever. If we are waiting on Ayala for 2 weeks or something then ok. The idea that we would not add Thorpe when he doesn't cost us a scholly for 2018 and we have the ship available for 2017 literally makes no sense. You are basically saying he adds nothing to the table and could help in no meaningful way. We have 3 guards for next year and one of them is Frank Howard. To me this is pure insanity.

I could appreciate that if indeed this is the reason he has not announced.

I hope there's some silent thing going on here if it's true that the staff doesn't have interest in bringing in Thorpe. Makes zero sense unless they have another combo guard lined up like Ayala.

We really would be a great spot for him. He can get some minutes at the 1 or 2 this year, then be ready for a bigger role next year when Tyus leaves. Hughes would be playing the 2 or 3, so still plenty of time available. Add Marek for the 3/4, and good to go. Ah, if only it was that easy.

I'm one of the few that thinks Frank will improve, and do well. Still, HW may not quite be ready for major minutes, and Battle shouldn't have to play 40 minutes a game. HW, and Thorpe could spell him a bit while Thorpe and Frank fight for the PG job. JB must have the same confidence in Frank that I do. I don't wanna bring in another freshman PG, but we need a combo guard. Which is why I'm fine with not going after Waters.

Thorpe, and Ayala fit the bill. Bringing in Thorpe would probably crush Frank's confidence, I guess, but someone has to be able to help Tyus out. We shall see how it all shakes out. The staff obviously has a plan. Just gotta sit back, and wait to see what it is it seems.
I want Frank to succeed and will be rooting for him. I just don't see it although I respect you so hopefully I'm wrong. I was excited about Frank coming here. I thought he hurt himself in high school right before he was going to break out and read stories about his coach having him to the pep talks to the players and talk about strategy as like a second coach as he was recovering. I thought this kid is a team first guy and if he hadn't gotten hurt in high school who knows how high he would have been recruited. I was just so disappointed with his sophomore year and the Randolph thing and I'm trying not to bury the kid but I'm very skeptical.

I just refuse to believe this is true because it makes no sense to me whatsoever. If we are waiting on Ayala for 2 weeks or something then ok. The idea that we would not add Thorpe when he doesn't cost us a scholly for 2018 and we have the ship available for 2017 literally makes no sense. You are basically saying he adds nothing to the table and could help in no meaningful way. We have 3 guards for next year and one of them is Frank Howard. To me this is pure insanity.

Would you have believed that we would take Hopkins off of all our prioritized NE recruits in the 2017 class? An area he's been working and building relationships in for years? I wouldn't have but it happened. It indicates internal issues when things you wouldn't believe keep happening. I'm hoping we have weathered the storm and are going in the right direction for 2018.

Last edited:
...Thorpe and Frank fight for the PG job...Bringing in Thorpe would probably crush Frank's confidence...
That's why they're not interested in Thorpe in my view. He won't come here to fight for the starting PG job, he'll only come here if it's his role right out of the gate. And if that's the case, Howard won't get a chance to redeem himself. He might even transfer. That might be preferable to some, if not most, but then we're down to three guards again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom