Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

I'm not completely convinced of that. My kids played aau and it seemed like it was more about age. Ayala plays on the WE R1 17u team. That teams roster has players that are mostly 2018 but it has one 2019 kid playing up and a 2017 kid who's received several low-mid D1 offers and is considering a year of prep after graduating this June.

Maybe Francis can clarify.

It's my understanding each roster is allowed one spot for a post grad kid. That is what Emmitt Holt did for the City Rocks spring/summer 2014. He intended on doing 1 year of prep until Indiana came calling mid-August. Nahziah Carter same situation for the rocks and the 2017 eybl circuit. Don't want to mislead anyone but that could be reason he hasn't reclassified since the roster already has a 2017 kid. Either way War damn Otto!!!!!

I've heard on here that we should know something by the end of the week.

If it goes past next weekend and there's no announcement , we should really start with plan , G, H and I.
I've heard Plan H= Autry Jr. Not sure what G or I is.

It's my understanding each roster is allowed one spot for a post grad kid. That is what Emmitt Holt did for the City Rocks spring/summer 2014. He intended on doing 1 year of prep until Indiana came calling mid-August. Nahziah Carter same situation for the rocks and the 2017 eybl circuit. Don't want to mislead anyone but that could be reason he hasn't reclassified since the roster already has a 2017 kid. Either way War damn Otto!!!!!
Perhaps this is why he told Zagoria he was staying in 2018. Didn't want to put his team in jeopardy.

I hear that it is iffy with Ayala. At least for now. Ayala has loyalty to a AAU guy. Having said that, our plan B is pretty good. We will all be hearing about it soon.

Pretty good for Syracuse?

Photobucket burning couch

ETA: after reading that interview, he has definitely bigger goals than just playing two seasons at Syracuse. I don't understand how everything happens in recruiting, but it boggles my mind that SU can't get some higher rated kids to come when there are plenty of minutes for the taking. Objectively, I don't see that much of a difference in major programs (top-30 or so). There are 390 roster spots there, probably only 100 openings available every year, and then only a fraction of those can offer significant minutes to a freshman.

Any of those programs will get a recruit plenty of development, coaching, BMOC benefits, networked into a professional gig, etc. To me the only differences are how much you'll play and how you'll play.

Last edited:
No, but we aren't going to be good next year even with a grad student so I'd rather develop some prospect. We can't recruit ourselves out of a brown paper bag right now.
Why can't we be good next year? Battle is a special player and everyone else will improve. If we can get a competent PG and the chemistry is good, we have enough athletes and a star player, it could be a solid squad next year.

No, but we aren't going to be good next year even with a grad student so I'd rather develop some prospect. We can't recruit ourselves out of a brown paper bag right now.
I don't know how good we are going to be next year. I think Battle and TT are very good and can get a lot better. A very good grad transfer at the pt and now we are starting to look better. Maybe a surprise from OB and we can be a tournament team.

Has anyone tried imagining how this exchange between Zagoria and Ayala went down? Do HS kids know who Zagoria is? Some random dude calls you or approaches you and says, "Hey, Eric, Adam Zagoria with the Zags Blog." What's going through your mind at that point? It's a tired cliche, but tell me Adam Zagoria from the Zags Blog doesn't sound like someone operating out of their parents' basement. And then he asks a question that I'm sure has been asked by every other reporter Ayala has come across. Ayala's just going to give him the scoop? He did an in-depth interview with Chris Carlson last week where he probably revealed more than he should have, yet he didn't give a straight answer on reclassifying. But a quick interview with Zagoria and he spills the beans? It doesn't add up.

Having spent a lot of time at summer recruiting events over the years, and having spent a decent amount of time talking to recruits, my comments here would be: 1) Most of these kids are pretty savvy when it comes to talking to other people/media, and 2) most of the kids knew about the more prominent recruiting websites.

Why can't we be good next year? Battle is a special player and everyone else will improve. If we can get a competent PG and the chemistry is good, we have enough athletes and a star player, it could be a solid squad next year.
Yeah, I can see it. Not sure Ayala would have put us over the top anyway. That said, I really hope recruiting picks up in the next cycle and we stop relying on 5th year grad students.

Basketball development isn't as linear as people make it out to be. Look at Lydon, posters were projecting him as ACC POTY :noidea:

Elijah Brown, Geno Thorpe, James Daniel?

Still holding out hope for EA but I feel like its trending in the wrong direction unfortunately.

If we don't get Ayala for 2017 we have to move on.

If he won't come now when we are full court pressing the other programs wil come in and it's iffy at best.

Plain and simple our coaches have to do better to close target recruitments better.

Last edited:
Plain and simple our coaches have to do better to close target recruitments better.
Kids don't seem to commit early anymore. Moyer was an exception. I don't think that's the fault of the staff, they just need to come up with a new tactic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom