Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see Lydon coming off the bench, even though he is one of, if not THE best player on this team, because he is that kind of dude. He knows he is good, the scouts know he is good. He would get as many minutes if not more than anyone else. And he is a team guy first. If the starting lineup were Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson and Coleman, that would mean 4 seniors (3 fifth year guys). I think Lydon would be on board with that. I don't know him, but it is the vibe I get. I don't think that is our best lineup, but I don't think it is bad.

Why are you so against him being a 2? I say put out 5 best players out there (should he come here). That means a lineup of Battle-White-Lydon-Roberson-Chukwu. It also means playing everyone at their natural position should they have NBA aspirations and allows Gillon to be 6th man spark plug and small ball lineup guard when Lydon moves to the 4 and White to the 3. DC is backup Center and Howard, the backup Guard. TT and MM get minutes in blowouts or foul trouble games.

Oh, that's what it means?

Our best lineup meaning what? Scoring? Give me Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon / Roberson.

Defense? Frank / Battle / White / Lydon / Chukwu.

Shooting? Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon / and add a fifth player.

I could go on and on. Just because you've made your mind up that Gillon will be the 6th man doesn't mean that's the way it is going to be.

As for me being "against" White being a 2, I invite you to watch him play. His skill set is very similar to Demetris Nichols, although White is a better rebounder. He averaged 0.6 assists per game, and doesn't handle the ball confidently. He's an athletic finisher, but doesn't drive much when contested. Could he play some 2? Sure -- but we h aven't had many guards who don't handle the ball or pass the rock. It would be like playing Nichols at 2.

Coleman won't be pulled out of the starting lineup, regardless of anything that happens. And if he is, he will be replaced by the 7-2 guy that is going to be eligible.

All other scenarios are possibilities (in my opinion, small ones, but possibilities, sure). Gillon could start. White could come off the bench. Roberson could come off the bench. Lydon could (but in all likelihood will not) come off the bench.

But Lydon will not start at the 5. That is incorrect.

I said it was more likely than White starting at 2, which was your prediction. I'm not predicting that Lydon is going to start at 5.

Coleman will almost certainly start at 5. He also might play 5 minutes per game some night. Chukwu is a partially unknown commodity. I envision Lydon plays plenty in the middle this year again.

I refuse to get into that. When I did with TT people ripped me for no solid reason. My response is, if you don't want to hear what I report simply ignore me.

Dude, you were not even closed to being ripped. If you want to be ripped say Mike Waters is just an okay beat reporter. Or say Malachi was idiotic for not staying another year at SU. That will get you ripped!

As far as I know, there's not single person here who would regret anyone posting any kind of shred of inside information. But if you are just making it all up then I imagine some people would be a little disappointed or irritated if they were able to figure it out.

Dude, you were not even closed to being ripped. If you want to be ripped say Mike Waters is just an okay beat reporter. Or say Malachi was idiotic for not staying another year at SU. That will get you ripped!

As far as I know, there's not single person here who would regret anyone posting any kind of shred of inside information. But if you are just making it all up then I imagine some people would be a little disappointed or irritated if they were able to figure it out.
I'm a psychologist so I'm a little sensitive lol

I said it was more likely than White starting at 2, which was your prediction. I'm not predicting that Lydon is going to start at 5.

Coleman will almost certainly start at 5. He also might play 5 minutes per game some night. Chukwu is a partially unknown commodity. I envision Lydon plays plenty in the middle this year again.

Again, nice problem to have and we will have to agree to disagree. Excited for the season to start. But there's definitely more of a chance White starts at the 2 than Lydon starting at the 5 (which is 0.0% unless an injury rampage takes place).

My problem with the theory of Lydon coming off the bench is that it means 2 of DC2, Chukwu, Roberson are starting over him. In my mind no matter how I roll that around it equals lunacy. Lydon has more offensive game than all 3 of them combined, he's a good rebounder, good shot blocker and an overall plus defender.

Our best lineup meaning what? Scoring? Give me Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon / Roberson.

I could go on and on. Just because you've made your mind up that Gillon will be the 6th man doesn't mean that's the way it is going to be.

As for me being "against" White being a 2, I invite you to watch him play. His skill set is very similar to Demetris Nichols, although White is a better rebounder. He averaged 0.6 assists per game, and doesn't handle the ball confidently. He's an athletic finisher, but doesn't drive much when contested. Could he play some 2? Sure -- but we h aven't had many guards who don't handle the ball or pass the rock. It would be like playing Nichols at 2.
G was never a PG but that's where we needed him. White isn't a pure 2 but he better learn to be one if he wants a shot at the league.

I'm just partial to starting your best 5 players if it makes some sense. Do you dispute that talent-wise, those are our best 5? Full disclosure, I hate the token starter thing.

Like in football we may be better off in a sub package and imo, unless Roberson learns to shoot, putting Gillon in as the 6th man (of which he has the perfect spark plug skillset) is our best lineup with everyone seamlessly shifting up a spot. ...Bc lets be real, no way Roberson doesn't start.

Yeah, that's true. It's like having too many toys to play with, and you have like ten favorites and can only play with five at a time. I don't know how to play with them all at once. What a great problem to have. There is great versatility. I love a big lineup when possible, but it shouldn't be forced.
You've already decided that Battle is starting at the 1 [debatable], that White is starting at the 2 [debatable], and that Lydon is starting at the 3 [debatable]. Not sure what is "flat out wrong" -- it is just a different opinion than the one you are expressing.

I look at that roster [assuming White] and see Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon as four of the five starters.

You look at it and see a different starting backcourt. We'll see.
I hope we have this "problem". If so, we'll have all summer to kill each other hammering it out. As far as White's position, I have him as a 2/3. You guys are always flaming me (for good reason) when I pigeonhole players. So I left it open.

That said, he's got SF size ... 6'7 but VERY beefy. On offense, he's a volume scorer and not much of a play-maker (low assists). This is similar to Mali. Yet his offensive game is more of a catch and shoot guy than a driver/scorer-type player like Mali. So I see him at SF mostly.

On D ... that's where the problem comes as a 2. I don't see him defending ACC guards. He matches up better at the 3.

Just some observations.

Sigh. White is not a + defender.
Period.

ANY talk of a D-first lineup that mentions him is just wrong.
Sorry.

Lydon and Roberson are our best defensive forwards, barring Moyer really showing something there.
White is... not.

G was never a PG but that's where we needed him. White isn't a pure 2 but he better learn to be one if he wants a shot at the league.

I'm just partial to starting your best 5 players if it makes some sense. Do you dispute that talent-wise, those are our best 5? Full disclosure, I hate the token starter thing.

Like in football we may be better off in a sub package and imo, unless Roberson learns to shoot, putting Gillon in as the 6th man (of which he has the perfect spark plug skillset) is our best lineup with everyone seamlessly shifting up a spot. ...Bc lets be real, no way Roberson doesn't start.

You are underestimating Gillon. Significantly. Prepare to be surprised--kid is quite a talent.

Period.

Sorry.

Lydon and Roberson are our best defensive forwards, barring Moyer really showing something there.
White is... not.

White isn't even here yet. Let's see how he performs in a zone, and with a 7-2 shot blocker behind him. Then he... might be.

Sigh.

Again, nice problem to have and we will have to agree to disagree. Excited for the season to start. But there's definitely more of a chance White starts at the 2 than Lydon starting at the 5 (which is 0.0% unless an injury rampage takes place).

Agree 100% with your first two sentences [not so much with the third!]

LGO!!!

Period.

Sorry.

White is... not.
This will play out, of course ... but JB could play White at SF, Lydon at PF and then choose between our stockpile of center talent. If Battle's at the 2, that gives us 3 outside assassins (Gillon, White and TL), size, and play-making (Battle).

I'm pretty sure we're not going to go with a starting backcourt that pairs a freshman combo guard with a 6-7 shooting guard who averaged 0.5 assists last year in 30 minutes per game. So I figure either Gillon or Howard starts alongside Battle, and I assume it'll be Gillon because (promise or not) he wouldn't come here if he had reason to think he'd come off the bench.

So I pencil in Gillon, Battle, White at the 3, and Coleman at the 5 (because you know how Boeheim do sometimes). Though I think Lydon's game works better off the bench than Roberson's game, my guess is that Roberson comes off the bench because JB seems less in love with Roberson than Lydon. So:

Gillon
Battle
White
Lydon
Coleman

That's explains a lot! Every time I read anything about psychology I always think I have the condition. I was actually quite panic by thinking I was hypochondriac.

Every time I read that stuff I realize that I'm crazy and try to figure out how much crazier I am than the average person. I don't feel like its good for my mental health to do that but I can't help it.

Please understand this is nothing I heard DIRECTLY. but I still have friends who work in the melo center as tutors/GAs etc.

But they were right about TT.
That is a good clarification of your sources. Most of us understand that this information is fluid. Those that don't might be needing to see you on a professional basis. But, please keep posting the information that you are allowed to share, but also be sensitive to information that while we would be excited to hear, might not be what the parties involved would like shared.

Every time I read that stuff I realize that I'm crazy and try to figure out how much crazier I am than the average person. I don't feel like its good fro my mental health to do that but I can't help it.
Yours is not an empty boat, and we know who the Captain is.

I refuse to get into that. When I did with TT people ripped me for no solid reason. My response is, if you don't want to hear what I report simply ignore me.
Oh no. Cali does not represent the syracusefan.com community. Ignore him - he knows not what he says!

I have to say, right now I'm worried. This kid can put us over the top and it seems like he wants to take other visits. That can't be good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom