Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're off base here. Did you watch that Nebraska game against Miami? He shoots way more from the wing than from the corner/baseline. Yes, he could play SF, and he might get some minutes there against the right matchup, but he projects as a 2G, and haven't you noticed that we like really big guys up front? It cuts off the passing lanes. Mali would have started at the 2 this year, not SF again.

Anyone who says that White doesn't see a minute of time at the 2G on top of the zone is not really evaluating our roster properly.

Lydon is going to play 35 minutes a game and it's very unlikely he will play center now that we have 3 of them, at least not on a regular basis.

Roberson rebounds like a monster, but if White gets any minutes at F, it may be in relief of Roberson if he's having a bad day or in foul trouble. But that means that White would be a better option at F than both Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson. I could see him take some minutes from them, especially if another team zones us. But those guys are both good players and are going to see some time.

But don't forget, we only have 3 guards, and none of them are really dangerous 3 point shooters. That's why he's going to get time at guard if he comes here.

JB really has been fairly predictable. ie in 2003 he used a backup guard (Edelin) a backup forward (Pace) and a backup center (McNeil). 8 deep most seasons as we all know, assuming he has 8 reliable guys. even when MCW was a freshman ( only 2 years from being rookie of the year) he only got scant mins because JB only plays 3 guards (Scoop, Triche, Dion). the bulk of the guard mins will go to 3 guys as usual. my guess is Gillon, Howard, Battle. That would put White as the 4th guard, ie scant mins. could White supplant Howard or someone else ? possibly. but first we have to look at who the forwards will be. our 3 best forwards will likely be Lydon, Roberson , White. with our 2 centers being DC , Paschal. could MM or TT supplant White as the third forward ? dont see it. could TT and MM earn more mins than Howard? i doubt it. if they did that would move White to third guard. but i dont see the 2 freshmen getting enough mins to have White slide over and push Howard basically out of the guard rotation the way MCW got very few mins his freshman yr. so i see a starting lineup of DC, Roberson, White, Battle, Gillon. with Lydon being first sub (just like last yr!) for any forward that makes a silly mistake ( "if i had anyone else"...,) and Lydon will play huge mins. Howard will be first guard off the bench and if Roberson is plugged in White will have to get Frehman MCW type mins as 4th guard. if Howard is having a bad game then yes White could move to part of the 3 guard rotation. but i expect Howard to be improved this season (Jb has said Howard looks much improved) and clearly he is more of a true guard than White. Dont forget White averaged 6 rebounds per game which are not guard stats. on offense White will play like a wing guard but my prediction is he gets more mins on the backside of the zone. which technically makes him a forward in JB system but White is a classic wing (ie hybrid forward guard). Paschal gets most mins at C (off the bench) with DC playing about same mins as last year. 8 deep in big (close) games. TT and MM get big mins next year. but thats just me

Last edited:
Here's the thing about this whole "will he play at the 2/SG, or the 3/SF'-thingy with White.
JB always tries to give his best players the bulk of the minutes, which is why when Silent G transferred in he was moved to the PG (Indeed, it can be said JB was already thinking a year ahead in G's first season, and it paid off in year 2), and Malachi, although recruited as a 2G, was shifted to SF.
This ain't the man's first rodeo. I see White playing both positions, as needed. Much as I also see Lydon at the 4, 5, and heck, even 3 position at times...as needed.
I think folks are getting too caught up in labels, which experience has shown, can backfire when it comes to JB and his lineups.
Boeheim gonna Boeheim- all faith in the HOF'er! JMHO
Yes sir! You could argue our best 4 players will be (in no particular order) White, Roberson, Lydon and Battle; so either Lydon will have to play the 5, or AW3 will have to play the 2 to lineup to get a lot of minutes.

Yes sir! You could argue our best 4 players will be (in no particular order) White, Roberson, Lydon and Battle; so either Lydon will have to play the 5, or AW3 will have to play the 2 to lineup to get a lot of minutes.
could be but in terms of all around skill i would predict our best 4 ballers to be Lydon, Battle, White Gillon. Safe to say Lydon, Gillon, Battle do more than 1-2 things fairly well if you really look at ball handling, assists, shooting/scoring, rebounding, shot blocking etc. Roberson does one thing really well- rebound. altho you could argue White does one thing really well- shoot. if that all is true it could come down to who defends in zone better. we shall see

JB really has been fairly predictable. ie in 2003 he used a backup guard (Edelin) a backup forward (Pace) and a backup center (McNeil). 8 deep most seasons as we all know, assuming he has 8 reliable guys. even when MCW was a freshman ( only 2 years from being rookie of the year) he only got scant mins because JB only plays 3 guards (Scoop, Triche, Dion). the bulk of the guard mins will go to 3 guys as usual. my guess is Gillon, Howard, Battle. That would put White as the 4th guard, ie scant mins. could White supplant Howard or someone else ? possibly. but first we have to look at who the forwards will be. our 3 best forwards will likely be Lydon, Roberson , White. with our 2 centers being DC , Paschal. could MM or TT supplant White as the third forward ? dont see it. could TT and MM earn more mins than Howard? i doubt it. if they did that would move White to third guard. but i dont see the 2 freshmen getting enough mins to have White slide over and push Howard basically out of the guard rotation the way MCW got very few mins his freshman yr. so i see a starting lineup of DC, Roberson, White, Battle, Gillon. with Lydon being first sub (just like last yr!) for any forward that makes a silly mistake ( "if i had anyone else"...,) and Lydon will play huge mins. Howard will be first guard off the bench and if Roberson is plugged in White will have to get Frehman MCW type mins as 4th guard. if Howard is having a bad game then yes White could move to part of the 3 guard rotation. but i expect Howard to be improved this season (Jb has said Howard looks much improved) and clearly he is more of a true guard than White. Dont forget White averaged 6 rebounds per game which are not guard stats. on offense White will play like a wing guard but my prediction is he gets more mins on the backside of the zone. which technically makes him a forward in JB system but White is a classic wing (ie hybrid forward guard). Paschal gets most mins at C (off the bench) with DC playing about same mins as last year. 8 deep in big (close) games. TT and MM get big mins next year. but thats just me

If we get White, Howard is the 4th guard. Our two PGs ahead of him will be Gillon and Battle. White's shooting is so superior to any of our other guards. I like Frank, but he was terrible from the floor last year.

Howard will be this year's MCW as a frosh, this year's Allen Griffin as a junior, Tony Bland as a soph, etc.

The question for the rotation is where do we most need help, and what balances out the rotation. And from there, the question is who is more likely to get minutes among Thompson, Moyer and Howard?

White is going to be ahead of all three in the pecking order. But we only have 3 other guards, whereas we are deeper in the front court. That's why I don't think he sees most of his minutes in the front court. Plus he wants to play 2G in the pros. This is his audition.

So, returning to your typical 8 man rotation, the 2 centers are Chukwu and Coleman.

The three forwards are Lydon, Roberson and probably Thompson, because we weren't big enough inside last year, and we got bullied in a few games. Moyer isn't filled out enough yet.

That leaves the 3 guards as Battle, Gillon and White. Frank gets minutes when teams pressure the ball, especially in the first half. But otherwise, Boeheim recruited Battle because he promised to give him some time as the lead guard. So he's going to handle it. And Gillon obviously is also a PG, is really quick, and scored 16 PPG last year, too, and is a way better shooter from three than Frankie.

So that's the rotation as I see it, if we are so fortunate to get White. That looks like a hell of a team on paper.

If I were a betting man, I would say that Gillon and Battle start, with Battle off the ball, and at the four minute mark, White comes in for Gillon and Battle moves over to the point.

And don't suggest that I'm knocking Moyer, who I love, and Frank, who has great vision and a nice touch on his passing. He runs the break in a controlled but effective manner, with his head up looking for people. He's going to be good for us, but a bit of a late bloomer.

Last edited:
If we get White, Howard is the 4th guard. Our two PGs ahead of him will be Gillon and Battle. White's shooting is so superior to any of our other guards. I like Frank, but he was terrible from the floor last year.

Howard will be this year's MCW as a frosh, this year's Allen Griffin as a junior, Tony Bland as a soph, etc.

The question for the rotation is where do we most need help, and what balances out the rotation. And from there, the question is who is more likely to get minutes among Thompson, Moyer and Howard?

White is going to be ahead of all three in the pecking order. But we only have 3 other guards, whereas we are deeper in the front court. That's why I don't think he sees most of his minutes in the front court. Plus he wants to play 2G in the pros. This is his audition.

So, returning to your typical 8 man rotation, the 2 centers are Chukwu and Coleman.

The three forwards are Lydon, Roberson and probably Thompson, because we weren't big enough inside last year, and we got bullied in a few games. Moyer isn't filled out enough yet.

That leaves the 3 guards as Battle, Gillon and White. Frank gets minutes when teams pressure the ball, especially in the first half. But otherwise, Boeheim recruited Battle because he promised to give him some time as the lead guard. So he's going to handle it. And Gillon obviously is also a PG, is really quick, and scored 16 PPG last year, too, and is a way better shooter from three than Frankie.

So that's the rotation as I see it, if we are so fortunate to get White. That looks like a hell of a team on paper.

If I were a betting man, I would say that Gillon and Battle start, with Battle off the ball, and at the four minute mark, White comes in for Gillon and Battle moves over to the point.

And don't suggest that I'm knocking Moyer, who I love, and Frank, who has great vision and a nice touch on his passing. He runs the break in a controlled but effective manner, with his head up looking for people. He's going to be good for us, but a bit of a late bloomer.
Could be but Ball handling with that lineup of white and battle a glaring weakness and just cant see a freshman TT getting more mins than a soph Howard. White better paired w natural pgs such as Gillon or Howard in the backcourt imo

Gillon/White/Lydon/Roberson/Coleman, only second thought is Battle, but have not seen him play against college talent yet.

Gillon/White/Lydon/Roberson/Coleman, only second thought is Battle, but have not seen him play against college talent yet.

End of game lineup:

Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon and Chukwu.
Four scorers and our best rim protector.
So, yes, in that lineup White is a SF. But we need his minutes more at guard.

I agree with Ithaca Matt, the lineup will be more optimized for scoring and foul shooting at the end of the game. I hope everyone is correct about Battle, I expect him to be a little better penetrator than Malachi, but not have his shot, I would have agreed he is going to start but If White comes I think he is starter no question. With White in the lineup they may need a fast guard with a handle. Coach B has always like having a six man scorer and I can not see him not start

White plays ahead of Howard, if he can defend at the top of the zone.

Battle was recruited as a point guard. That's the path he sees to the NBA.
JB will give him the keys from the get go.

Not that it should matter but the weather has been perfect in lansing

Not that it should matter but the weather has been perfect in lansing
He played there in January. Can't imagine the weather was perfect on that day.

He's no dummy. He knows both SU and MSU have bad winters.

Serious note guys...and we are experts on this with all of the great players that we have had go through our program. Does anyone really see White getting drafted?

He is likely too old (See CJ Fair). Our seniors have not historically improved their draft position.

We are questioning if he can play the 2 and IMO the reason Gbinije got drafted was his ability to play the guard spot. My hunch is his NBA feedback was he had to play the 2. If we can offer that to him for 25-30 mins a game I think he is ours. If we cannot and improving NBA stock is what he wants I think he'll go elsewhere. I have no inside information just my objective opinion. Something has to give.

You guys are arguing semantics. Boeheim has said many times over the years that SG and SF are interchangeable on offense. We usually see the longer player at the bottom of the zone. Since he would get drafted primarily on his offensive skills, it simply doesn't matter which position (on paper) he plays. This is so much ado about nothing. Only here could this be made into such a huge deal.....

Drafted? Probably not. But he has a better chance to be if he comes to a big time program that has a deep run. I think Mike G and Xmas both improved their draft chances with strong senior years. So did Rick Jackson. But at 24 years old, the NBA seems to view players as smoldering wrecks of rusted out scrap metal so it will be tough for him.

Serious note guys...and we are experts on this with all of the great players that we have had go through our program. Does anyone really see White getting drafted?

He is likely too old (See CJ Fair). Our seniors have not historically improved their draft position.

We are questioning if he can play the 2 and IMO the reason Gbinije got drafted was his ability to play the guard spot. My hunch is his NBA feedback was he had to play the 2. If we can offer that to him for 25-30 mins a game I think he is ours. If we cannot and improving NBA stock is what he wants I think he'll go elsewhere. I have no inside information just my objective opinion. Something has to give.
AW3's draft ceiling is basically G's route. Hopefully go early to mid 2nd round to a good situation and get a guaranteed 1st contract...

Likely too old? Hogwash. If you're good enough you get drafted. MikeG got drafted. Wes got drafted VERY high. If you have talent, somebody will pick you.

AW3's draft ceiling is basically G's route. Hopefully go early to mid 2nd round to a good situation and get a guaranteed 1st contract...
G is a versatile 6'7 combo guard who can handle the point, run an offense, shoot and is a very athletic finisher around the rim. Aw3 seems to more of a catch and shoot player who can rebound. G made himself wayyy more attractive to NBA teams by showing he can play PG - White is going to have to sshow something a little more than just being a good spot up shooter if he wants to get to where G did as far as NBA radars last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom