Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Because the studio has nothing to do with Georgia Tech. Frankly, it has nothing to do with being in Atlanta either. There are hundreds of thousands of ATL residents who haven't so much as sniffed that studio. I'm assuming Tucker was one of those people before today. So he went, great. Won't affect his college life whatsoever.

I mean, is Bristol a cool, urban and happening city because ESPN is located there?

The whole point is to give him an enjoyable experience so he looks back fondly on GT when he's getting down to making the decision on where to go to school. No one is saying he's going to get a full access pass to TNT or anything. He's a 17 (or 18, whatever, point remains the same) kid. This is the kind of thing that will stick in his mind! And if it doesn't, no big deal either.

I think people are going a little nutty in here.

Sure, they could have taken him to the Coca-Cola Museum or the aquarium. But seeing as how Tucker is a high major basketball recruit, that field trip wouldn't be nearly as relevant to his interests / aspirations as a trip to the TNT NBA home studio that he probably watches on TV numerous times a week probably is.

Nor would the Coca-Cola Museum help fuel the narrative about distinguishing how cool and hip Atlanta is for a high major recruit on the basketball scene compared to other, less cosmopolitan locales that have stuff like aquariums that kids like Tucker probably aren't all that interested in. Pastner is selling him on the advantages of being in Atlanta, because that's what they have to sell. Just like I'm sure that Syracuse is selling him on tradition, the Dome, and playing for a hall of fame coach, because those are the advantages that our program has over Georgia Tech's.

Who cares whether he sets foot in that studio again, or whether the only time he ever sees it again is when he's watching NBA halftime shows on TNT? Does anyone think or has anyone suggested that Tucker is going to base his decision on how often he's going to hang out in the TNT NBA studio while he's in college? It's just part of the experience the GT staff is selling him on how cool, urban, and happening the city of Atlanta is.

Honestly, not sure what is so difficult about this for people to understand.

Devil's Advocate: Taking him to the Coca-Cola headquarters or whatever they have there would actually be more relevant. Coca-Cola is a global mega brand that may one day want to enter into a marketing relationship with him - if he already has ties to their home town team, maybe they are more likely to select him versus 20-30 other young/rookie NBA players in 2020. That makes no sense. But it makes as much (more) sense as going to a TV studio. Like I said in the original post on this subject, and Brian pay attention here: this stuff does not have to make sense or be germane to his college decision for it to be important. We, as adult humans, can't even conceive of what is really important to these recruits.

Devil's Advocate: Taking him to the Coca-Cola headquarters or whatever they have there would actually be more relevant. Coca-Cola is a global mega brand that may one day want to enter into a marketing relationship with him - if he already has ties to their home town team, maybe they are more likely to select him versus 20-30 other young/rookie NBA players in 2020. That makes no sense. But it makes as much (more) sense as going to a TV studio. Like I said in the original post on this subject, and Brian pay attention here: this stuff does not have to make sense or be germane to his college decision for it to be important. We, as adult humans, can't even conceive of what is really important to these recruits.

1 million percent.

The whole point is to give him an enjoyable experience so he looks back fondly on GT when he's getting down to making the decision on where to go to school. No one is saying he's going to get a full access pass to TNT or anything. He's a 17 (or 18, whatever, point remains the same) kid. This is the kind of thing that will stick in his mind! And if it doesn't, no big deal either.

Spot on.

I think you guys are only looking at this through the lens of Tucker. I agree with your assessment on that front 100%.

My take has more to do with Georgia Tech using this is a recruiting tactic. It's a cheap trick, is all I'm saying.

I think you guys are only looking at this through the lens of Tucker. I agree with your assessment on that front 100%.

My take has more to do with Georgia Tech using this is a recruiting tactic. It's a cheap trick, is all I'm saying.

I don't disagree with that. But that's what GT has to sell -- Atlanta's inherent coolness.

Recruits opt to play in smaller cities all the time. Lawrence, Kansas isn't exactly a booming metropolis. Syracuse has brutal winters. Recruits willingly choose to come to places like that because it appeals to their intrinsic interests. Maybe the TNT studio trip will appeal to Tucker, maybe it won't. But appealing to his interests is what Pastner is trying to do.

I don't disagree with that. But that's what GT has to sell -- Atlanta.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the TNT Studio being an accurate representation of Atlanta. It's a cool city with or without it.

I don't disagree with that. But that's what GT has to sell -- Atlanta's inherent coolness.

Recruits opt to play in smaller cities all the time. Lawrence, Kansas isn't exactly a booming metropolis. Syracuse has brutal winters. Recruits willingly choose to come to places like that because it appeals to their intrinsic interests. Maybe the TNT studio trip will appeal to Tucker, maybe it won't. But appealing to his interests is what Pastner is trying to do.

They have to pull out all of the stops, because frankly they don't have much else.

Oh for sure, re: cheap trick. A good trick, however. Any major program with walking distance proximity to TNT would be foolish not to use it as a lure. Briancuse is looking at it through the lens of a seasoned and well-rounded young adult which Tucker is not yet. Yeah, an 18 year old basketball recruit with NBA dreams soon is going to like the Coca-Cola museum or aquarium more than the TNT digs. :crazy:

If he does choose GT, he may just want more of a city vibe and fun time around school with the benefit of being close to home. Maybe he views both teams as NIT level right now. Maybe he likes Pastner better. Maybe he doesn't want to play all zone. If he's NBA material he'll get there from anywhere.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the TNT Studio being an accurate representation of Atlanta. It's a cool city with or without it.

I get why they took him there, especially hearing that it is basically adjacent to the arena. I still love the irony that to actually get on that show, Shaq did two things: make it to the NBA, and take classes at a university specifically in sports broadcasting. Syracuse is demonstrably far better at getting people into the NBA and the place Shaq took those classes was Syracuse. Couldn't make this stuff up.

I get why they took him there, especially hearing that it is basically adjacent to the arena. I still love the irony that to actually get on that show, Shaq did two things: make it to the NBA, and take classes at a university specifically in sports broadcasting. Syracuse is demonstrably far better at getting people into the NBA and the place Shaq took those classes was Syracuse. Couldn't make this stuff up.
It is adjacent to an arena. Not the one they play in.

Makes you wish we had the last visit for that very reason. The staff can use that in the future, though. "Oh, Pastner took you to the TNT Studio? Let me show you how to get back there..."

This TNT visit was not just for him. They do it for all the recruits even some football players. It's not even that big of a deal. It's something they do in between before lunch.

From what I've gathered from the gt board, a respected poster says he feels very confident and that he will take the heat if it's not tech he commits to. No specifics or anything just his feeling.

That is he is a silent commit and will annonce on ESPN after Knox commits to Duke. Also believes that Sid is going to SU over UCONN.

This sounds right...

Umm yes the one they play in. You can see it from the main entrance, and if you cross the road you are there.
They play in McCamish Pavilion, no?

Correct and TNT is the building in front of it along with the track & field/tennis area
Oh, I thought it was down near Philips Arena.