Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Agreed, neither good or bad. The plan was to visit G-Tech last and then decide. Looks like the visit got pushed back but the plan is the same.

He's already decided. The visit is a formality, keeping a commitment he made. Then the announcement...

Syracuse University.

Knox is announcing between Thursday and Sunday. Great timing. Tucker visits Georgia Tech and even if he waits for Knox, Tucker could very well make his decision this week or early next week at the latest.

I don't think this is accurate at all (the stuff about Baylor/Dayton etc). It may seem that way, but it isn't the reality. In general, I am not agreeing with a lot of what you have said here.

Doubt it changes anything but I meant Butler instead of Baylor.

However I'm curious why you disagree? Not saying you're wrong but I think Butler/Xavier/Dayton and even Cincy are examples of smaller programs that take in what we'd often deem "lesser" talent, and end up molding sometimes top 20/top 15 teams that make tournament runs.

I'd hate to think they have better coaches than our HOF'er. I know they don't have better facilities or fans. Their schedules may arguably be lighter but they consistently put up tough runs in March.

I think sometimes the 3/4 stars are scrappier and more coachable. They see college as a chance to develop into a pro instead of a hurdle/stop light.

However I'm curious why you disagree? Not saying you're wrong but I think Butler/Xavier/Dayton and even Cincy are examples of smaller programs that take in what we'd often deem "lesser" talent, and end up molding sometimes top 20/top 15 teams that make tournament runs.

I'd hate to think they have better coaches than our HOF'er. I know they don't have better facilities or fans. Their schedules may arguably be lighter but they consistently put up tough runs in March.

I think sometimes the 3/4 stars are scrappier and more coachable. They see college as a chance to develop into a pro instead of a hurdle/stop light.

I agree, especially about the coachability part. 3/4 star kids are less likely to be prima donnas, and WANT to be coached. Not saying that the Kentucky kids don't want to get better but I've often gotten the impression that they think they should win every game because they're 5 star players wearing a Kentucky jersey. I remember when Wisconsin ousted them with Frank the Tank. Kentucky was considerably more talented, but the better coached and scrappiest team won. I'd rather pursue the hungry scrappy 3-4 star kids.

This isn't to say I don't value landing a 5 star kid.

That could be the difference between a deep tournament run and a Championship. We don't win '03 without Melo.

Yes, the knock on Tucker had been he was just a shooter. Not so now. He can drive, score at the rim and has a nasty step back that will look very familiar to those who watched Malachi in Orange. He is an outstanding offensive player and looks the part physically as well.

That could be the difference between a deep tournament run and a Championship. We don't win '03 without Melo.

Oh, you weren't even talking about Tucker. Oops.

Oh, you weren't even talking about Tucker. Oops.

May as well have been.

The kids just as talented offensively as some 5 *'s and if he comes to Cuse he'll get the same, if not more, playing time.

Paired with Tyus and Thompson, Tucker could be a game changer for this program and I think we'd all invite that with open arms.

Takes some pressure off and allows Oshae and Matthew a chance to develop.

The visit Wed is being reported as Unimportant

There, fixed it for you.;)

Ha, flacusian. Nice to see you in this neighborhood. You're rarely on the recruiting board.

Ha, flacusian. Nice to see you in this neighborhood. You're rarely on the recruiting board.
Yes... I have not been around much for the past month or so. Really hoping that we get some developments on the recruiting front but it had just seemed to be droning on without any developments. As soon as we can get Tucker or Ayala to commit I'll be back on here 24-7... as usual.

We've got a lot of questions to answer moving into next season and I trust that JB is going to do what it takes to make sure we put a team out there that will have a chance to make some noise.

Yes... I have not been around much for the past month or so. Really hoping that we get some developments on the recruiting front but it had just seemed to be droning on without any developments. As soon as we can get Tucker or Ayala to commit I'll be back on here 24-7... as usual.

We've got a lot of questions to answer moving into next season and I trust that JB is going to do what it takes to make sure we put a team out there that will have a chance to make some noise.

I think we hear about Tucker within the next week. Ayala won't be announcing anything anytime soon.

I disagree because I think it doesn't happen as frequently as it seems for any particular one of those programs. As a group, yes one of them is good to very good in any given year, but none of them can sustain perennial success at the level of a Syracuse type program. Grouping them makes their success cumulative whereas individually they ebb and flow as they get a couple special players getting to the upperclass ranks, the regress back to the norm.

I think we hear about Tucker within the next week. Ayala won't be announcing anything anytime soon.

Tucker Friday night or Saturday morning would be my guess. Cuse BTW. I think the staff should just tell Ayala we are going for the best available guard we can get and let him sheet or get off the pot.

Tucker Friday night or Saturday morning would be my guess. Cuse BTW. I think the staff should just tell Ayala we are going for the best available guard we can get and let him sheet or get off the pot.

I agree about turning up the heat on Ayala but that's not our m.o. I'd love to hear from Tucker then. I think he might wait until Knox announces (for Duke hopefully). Knox will be any day between Thursday and Sunday...whenever ESPN gives him the airtime.

I agree about turning up the heat on Ayala but that's not our m.o. I'd love to hear from Tucker then. I think he might wait until Knox announces (for Duke hopefully). Knox will be any day between Thursday and Sunday...whenever ESPN gives him the airtime.

So basically if Knox goes to Duke, our chances of getting Tucker are really good.

So basically if Knox goes to Duke, our chances of getting Tucker are really good.

As long as you don't view gt as a real threat? Just my guess I think 60/40 our favor over gt.

I didn't say that but we should at least find out very soon. Let me set the odds for you as I see them: Syracuse -110, Georgia Tech +125. Very close to a flip.

Look, I don't know. Trying to be optimistic. I think he's made up his mind and will probably wait until Knox announces, unless he happens to know for sure Knox is a Blue Devil (they are strong favorites). I will say that I haven't heard anything about MJ Walker impacting his decision since ATLien (or whatever his name is) said that's a big factor.

I know I've said this earlier but this is an easy choice, he will thrive in JB's system and be a first round pick in 2 years max. Worrying about a Knox commitment is really digging deep IMO. It's cute and all to wear a duke uni, but that doesn't guarantee pt or how a player will be used. I'm pretty sure the situation is a known playing for JB at this point . Even if Knox doesn't commit to Duke what exactly would be his roll? And would that be known with certainty in the near future ? Lots of questions would need to be answered under that circumstance, especially if tucker wants to commit to a school very shortly . If we want to dig deep, hasn't coach K kind of struck out with a player with the same measurements as tucker with Gbinje? G seemed to do pretty well after his stint at Duke under JB.

Last edited:

Agreed. But we can't go all in on them, only to have them go elsewhere late in the process when other very good players were available. We can't be left at the alter anymore.

Knox will announce Duke shortly IMO.

Based on Tucker's twitter, I'm 100% convinced he knows where he's going. Is the GaTech visit just a formality? Is he doing it just appease local people? Or is he going to commit to GaTech so he's just seeing Pastner once more?

Regardless, it seems like he knows. Unless Knox doesn't go to Duke.

I didn't say that but we should at least find out very soon. Let me set the odds for you as I see them: Syracuse -110, Georgia Tech +125. Very close to a flip.

Look, I don't know. Trying to be optimistic. I think he's made up his mind and will probably wait until Knox announces, unless he happens to know for sure Knox is a Blue Devil (they are strong favorites). I will say that I haven't heard anything about MJ Walker impacting his decision since ATLien (or whatever his name is) said that's a big factor.

So we are the slight favorites right now?