shafer and issue with jimbo fisher | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

shafer and issue with jimbo fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Guys have reasons for not being a gentleman, I guess" isn't a cheap shot?

That's catty passive-aggressive stuff.

I don't think it's a cheap shot, stated his opinion. Although leaving a kid off the injury report on Fisher's part when every coach in the league agrees voluntarily to put it out 2 days before a game is pretty douchey.

It was widely reported last week that both Golson and Cook were missing practice time. I know Jimbo said Golson was good to go on Thursday, but what I think is bothering people, is the fact that after the game Bullough used Maguire playing as an excuse.

So, in the mind of some people, it appears you have SU coaches complaining about FSU playing back-ups, and giving that as a reason for the defense's struggles during the game. I think it would be another thing if Jimbo said he had starters who were out, and then they ended up playing, not the other way around.

If he was missing practice time all week then the injury report from Fisher should have confirmed that by listing him as probable.

I don't think it's a cheap shot, stated his opinion. Although leaving a kid off the injury report on Fisher's part when every coach in the league agrees voluntarily to put it out 2 days before a game is pretty douchey.
An opinion can be a cheap-shot. They're not mutually-exclusive things.

Golson missed practices during the week. Maybe he suffered a setback on Friday or fell out of the bed and hit his head that morning. Who knows?

Did Matt Park force Shafer to take a cheap shot at an opposing head coach?

It's not a firable offense or anything to get worked up about, but it's just one more thing that can add to the perception that Shafer is a tad too emotional at best, unstable at worst.
Cheap shot? I don't think it is a cheap shot. I also think Shafer is right ...they should just stop the policy if it is not going to be adhered to.

It was widely reported last week that both Golson and Cook were missing practice time. I know Jimbo said Golson was good to go on Thursday, but what I think is bothering people, is the fact that after the game Bullough used Maguire playing as an excuse.

So, in the mind of some people, it appears you have SU coaches complaining about FSU playing back-ups, and giving that as a reason for the defense's struggles during the game. I think it would be another thing if Jimbo said he had starters who were out, and then they ended up playing, not the other way around.
Nah... Shafer said they would not be able to prepare for McGuire much since he's an unknown. The complaint is about not following an agreement pledged to by league coaches.

If he was missing practice time all week then the injury report from Fisher should have confirmed that by listing him as probable.

If SU is relying only on the injury report, we have bigger issues. There was nothing hidden about the injuries- they were widely reported the entire week leading up to the game.

Nah... Shafer said they would not be able to prepare for McGuire much since he's an unknown. The complaint is about not following an agreement pledged to by league coaches.

I guess SU couldn't find tape of Maguire's game against Clemson last year then. Odd since it was a Sat. night ABC or ESPN game.

You can complain about the injury report, but you cannot say playing the back-up QB was a problem for the defense. Am I the only one who thinks that's crazy?

If SU is relying only on the injury report, we have bigger issues. There was nothing hidden about the injuries- they were widely reported the entire week leading up to the game.

Reported by nobody on FSU's coaching staff is the point. If you aren't going to adhere to the agreement, then do away with it altogether.

If he was healthy and Jimbo thought the 2nd stringer gave them a better chance to win then fine.

Cheap shot? I don't think it is a cheap shot. I also think Shafer is right ...they should just stop the policy if it is not going to be adhered to.
If someone implied on a public forum that I was not a "gentleman" (that word isn't really in my vocabulary but Shafer used it) I would consider it a cheap shot. Especially if it was based on a decision that I made in which I felt it was in the best interest of my football player.

If Shafer had simply stated that they should do away with the injury report if it's not being used every week then that would be fine. But he couldn't help himself but to make it personal.

Reported by nobody on FSU's coaching staff is the point. If you aren't going to adhere to the agreement, then do away with it altogether.

If he was healthy and Jimbo thought the 2nd stringer gave them a better chance to win then fine.

I'm not arguing with that, or Shafer's comments last night. My bigger issue was the post-game Bullough comments about not being able to prepare for Maguire because all week it was listed he was likely to see at least some snaps.

What coach doesn't prepare for the 2 deep? This is football and people get hurt all the time. What if either of those players would've gotten hurt in the game against SU? So many people on this board reach for any and everything. Signs of desperation. Too many excuses for the fact that this team is poorly coached and lacking talent. It wasn't technique that got those kids burned in the game it's the same thing it's been all year, they are slow as h3ll.

orangenirvana said:
Did Matt Park force Shafer to take a cheap shot at an opposing head coach? It's not a firable offense or anything to get worked up about, but it's just one more thing that can add to the perception that Shafer is a tad too emotional at best, unstable at worst.

A cheap shot? Good grief.

Full_Rebar said:
It was widely reported last week that both Golson and Cook were missing practice time. I know Jimbo said Golson was good to go on Thursday, but what I think is bothering people, is the fact that after the game Bullough used Maguire playing as an excuse. So, in the mind of some people, it appears you have SU coaches complaining about FSU playing back-ups, and giving that as a reason for the defense's struggles during the game. I think it would be another thing if Jimbo said he had starters who were out, and then they ended up playing, not the other way around.

The doctors just cleared Golson for this week.

I don't care about Shafer's comment. Though I find the idea that Jimbo felt he had to deceive us to win, just short of ludicrous.

This also feeds into the belief of a lot of our fans, including me, that Shafer has an excuse for everything. No one expects us to beat FSU, but when they see Wake and BC keep it close, it's hard to understand why we get blown out against all the big boys.

Full_Rebar said:
I guess SU couldn't find tape of Maguire's game against Clemson last year then. Odd since it was a Sat. night ABC or ESPN game. You can complain about the injury report, but you cannot say playing the back-up QB was a problem for the defense. Am I the only one who thinks that's crazy?

Bulloughs intrrview said they watched the game. And I can see the problem for the defense when you game plan for one whose game so completely different that almost a different offense is run.

I don't care about Shafer's comment. Though I find the idea that Jimbo felt he had to deceive us to win, just short of ludicrous.

This also feeds into the belief of a lot of our fans, including me, that Shafer has an excuse for everything. No one expects us to beat FSU, but when they see Wake and BC keep it close, it's hard to understand why we get blown against all the big boys,
In year one maybe and FSU this year, but, we compete against the "big" boys as much as we haven't.

NKR1978 said:
I don't care about Shafer's comment. Though I find the idea that Jimbo felt he had to deceive us to win, just short of ludicrous. This also feeds into the belief of a lot of our fans, including me, that Shafer has an excuse for everything. No one expects us to beat FSU, but when they see Wake and BC keep it close, it's hard to understand why we get blown against all the big boys,

If they say "we just got beat" everyone around here would blast him for not being forthcoming with the media.

If they are honest about the issues the face people call them excuses.

the response would be no comment!!! lets talk about louisville
"Shafe, that was an exciting finish against CMU. What did you think about Mahoney's play?"
"No comment. I'm here to talk about LSU."

Yeah, that would be wonderful radio. It really connects with audience and helps get more fans to the games.

Shafer is paid to do these shows. If he is to do what you suggest then they should simply cancel the show.

Last edited:
Bulloughs intrrview said they watched the game. And I can see the problem for the defense when you game plan for one whose game so completely different that almost a different offense is run.
granted, but there in game adjustments that need to be made. the the point is we blame others for our short comings and as one poster said some time ago do not take ownership for our issues. we look elsewhere rather than at home

"Shafe, that was an exciting finish against CMU. What did you think about Mahoney's play?"
"No comment. I'm here to talk about LSU."

Yeah, that would be wonderful radio. It really connects with audience and helps get more fans to the games.
that is a bizzare yet comical statement. my reference was to one question not the entire interview. vast difference between answering the question, you proposed vs criticizing an opposing coach. there is a definition for a valid analogy.

I guess SU couldn't find tape of Maguire's game against Clemson last year then. Odd since it was a Sat. night ABC or ESPN game.

You can complain about the injury report, but you cannot say playing the back-up QB was a problem for the defense. Am I the only one who thinks that's crazy?
He only complained about the lack of a report. He didn't really say anything else about it. The reason Maquire was a problem is that Maguire is good. Shafer didn't even say the faulty report affected the game. He was asked about the injury report and gave his opinion on it. Essentially, if coaches are not going to be honest, let's just do away with it. That's his take. Am I the only one who thinks that is not crazy?

If someone implied on a public forum that I was not a "gentleman" (that word isn't really in my vocabulary but Shafer used it) I would consider it a cheap shot. Especially if it was based on a decision that I made in which I felt it was in the best interest of my football player.

If Shafer had simply stated that they should do away with the injury report if it's not being used every week then that would be fine. But he couldn't help himself but to make it personal.
Nothing cheap about it. There is a gentlemens agreement to provide an injury list. If you don't adhere to it, you are not being a gentlemen. I agree with Shafer, just do away with it if coaches are not going to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom