Shafer can coach D | Syracusefan.com

Shafer can coach D

giphy.gif

Most people would agree, in general.

But then, GaTech, Clemson, and the FSU players playing hangman on the sideline might beg to differ. :p
I don’t follow. What is this a reference to? Thanks.

As DC: fiery, players coach, attack first, good guy

As HC: all that stuff + poor recruiting, bad assistant management, no plan on offense, and way too emotional for everything the job requires
Thanks for sharing again. I can't wait for DB to turn this thing around so people will stop looking backwards. For me, I can root for a good guy DC, who did a great job here as DC, in his new job, and I can still love SU football. I'll be just as happy when DB turns this thing around as anyone else. I also can applaud former coaches who are doing really good things elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing again. I can't wait for DB to turn this thing around so people will stop looking backwards. For me, I can root for a good guy DC, who did a great job here as DC, in his new job, and I can still love SU football. I'll be just as happy when DB turns this thing around as anyone else. I also can applaud former coaches who are doing really good things elsewhere.

I was on board with wishing him well 100% until he had his guys fake injuries and then had the victory cigar. Bush league.

But whatever - DB is *already* better than SS and I’m looking forward.

EDIT: I also stand by my comment. He is a very good DC and was a subpar, flawed HC. That’s pretty much fact.

Most of the criticisms levied against him as a HC ignore the reality of his situation.

He was hired very late in the cycle by an average team w/ a lot of holes in the coaching staff, and he didn't have a big budget. Promotions aside (i.e. Coach McF*ckit), he could only hire the people that he knew/was friends with (100% not his fault), and had worked at Michigan (not stealing anyone from them), Stanford (not stealing anyone from them), and MAC schools.

As such, he hired a MAC-level coaching staff, who couldn't hack it in the ACC. Then they went to a bowl in the 1st year. Mixing up the staff at that point would have been career suicide. What was he supposed to say, "hey thanks force quitting your job late in the cycle last year and then helping me reach a bowl ... now you're fired?" Nobody worth their salt would have worked for then after a move like that one.

And then he shook up the offense after the second year by hiring/promoting Lester, who made dramatic strides. But fHCSS was fired halfway through the year. What could anyone realistically expect the guy to do?

Throw in the fact that there was turmoil at the AD, so support for the coach and program were in question, and any strong external hires would have been extremely hesitant to jump aboard.

And lastly, it's worth mentioning that fHCSS' offense was better than Dino's in SS' last year vs Dino's first. They held onto the ball longer, and they scored more points per drive.

The truth is that fHCSS never had a legitimate chance.

All of the above said, I think that Dino is a great coach, and I'm confident that he will win here within the next two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom