Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

There was also a store in the alley near Varsity with vintage albums/cassettes. I got some bootleg Who concerts on tape (including a live performance of Tommy), and a copy of Keith Moon's solo album.
Does anyone remember the name of that music store? It was next to Baskins and Robbins which was on the corner of Marshall. Used to get some great bootleg tapes of Pearl Jam there.

Understood. As a new poster I forgot to use sarcasm font on the “Back to lurker mode ...”.

I would never defend Gtown. I know what time it is!

Actually one of the Ts I picked up from Shirt World back in the day was the “Your mother is a Hoya”

Had an ongoing shirt bet with a friend in high school who was a Hoya fan and made him wear that shirt several times.
I believe it is also where we once grabbed an “On the 8th Day God Created The Pearl” shirt.

now that we’re thinking of these, is he the one that had a tee that had the Syracuse “#1” foam finger on the front, and a Georgetown foam middle finger on the back? Always wanted that.

Does anyone remember the name of that music store? It was next to Baskins and Robbins which was on the corner of Marshall. Used to get some great bootleg tapes of Pearl Jam there.
I’m not 100 percent but I want to say Oliver”s.

Record Runner?

I think the second picture was taken around 1995.

3e7ff3565aa66d40a101e4d7532c2914.jpg

Last edited:
Are you talking Down Under Leather? Get a little incense, a screen for your bowl, a bob marley tapestry, and a tape of the Dead from any city in America? Place was gross. There was one in a mall locally as well.

"DoubleDee, post:
Are you talking Down Under Leather? Get a little incense, a screen for your bowl, a bob marley tapestry, and a tape of the Dead from any city in America? Place was gross. Nice pipes and bongs. There was one in a mall locally as well."

Fixed it for you.

Last edited:
I remember Zorba's in the alley behind Varsity and the head shop on S.Crouse.They had the best heated subs but I don't remember if Zorba's had pizza. Do any SU alums from the 80s remember if Zorba did pizza?

i think it was zorba's. it wasn't the acropolis, as the acropolis was on marshall.

i didn't remember zorba's being in the alley, but more across the alley on crouse tucked away a little if i recall.

the warm subs were the best. they were a little greasy, but that mixed with spices they used were unrivaled.
the acopolis couldn't hold a gyro to this place.

Zorba made THE BEST EVER roast beef sub. Haven’t had anything like it since. Even tried to replicate it (unsuccessfully - though still remember the process). He was a magician. Stop by the spot every time I visit the campus to pay respects.
So, spill the beans man, tell us about the process.

So, spill the beans man, tell us about the process.

i think it was olive oil and and his special blend of seasonings. but i don't remember an oily smell. it did smell unique though. it was hands down the best at SU. going to the acropolis after you had a sub at zorba's led to a huge sigh.

Record Runner was a bit before my time. I think it was Oliver’s.

I can't believe I remembered this from a SI preview issue, and found this on the SI Vault website. Hearing Acropolis made made me think of this and look it up.
View attachment 193098
That's a great find. I vaguely remember that photo. Nowadays Rony would have been on everyone's radar.

Varsity’s pizza kind of stinks.

Everything else I’ve had is very good though

Has Dave ever given anyone a good deal? LOL

6.5 is fine for Varsity tbh. Might be a bit generous.

I'm not watching the clip of that low-life, but what you say makes sense.

I happen to enjoy the pizza at Varsity. But if you've heard about this epic "Varsity Pizza*, since 1926" place that gets all the airplay during TV hoops games, built up expectations, and then were served a slice there, you'd be right to be pretty let down, I imagine.

*It isn't actually called "Varsity Pizza." And the pizza is an afterthought that only came into play in the mid-'70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom