Shooting at University of Virginia | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shooting at University of Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you read/hear that the shooter had a diagnosed mental illness? I read a background about him in the Washington Post where it talked about his upbringing in poverty and surrounded by violence but I didn't see anything about a mental illness.
CTE?

Where do you read/hear that the shooter had a diagnosed mental illness? I read a background about him in the Washington Post where it talked about his upbringing in poverty and surrounded by violence but I didn't see anything about a mental illness.
Not sure the OP implied the shooter had a diagnosed mental illness. In all likelihood, the issue was underdiagnosed vs diagnosed.

FhjfME3X0AAn1kF

"Washington Post changes headline about suspected UVA shooter's 'troubled childhood"​

Kill 3 high profile friends in a very high profile part of town that is impossible to get away from is a gang initiation? That gang is not going to last if they all end up in jail prior to being initiated.
Not saying that's whats going on here but jail is where they "breed". Getting away isn't always a goal. Sometimes going in is, for recruitment purposes. There is so much more to that nasty world that I wish the populace as a whole knew. There are some very hardcore Mid-Atlantic based gangs operating in the DMV area.

Thanks for that insight but I still do not understand what the joke is here ? Can you please elaborate for us not so smart people ?
Are you trolling? There is no “joke” since you can’t get past the literal. What he is saying is that it is ridiculous that people just want to throw up some “thoughts and prayers” without taking meaningful action to prevent these events from occurring in the first place. We’re forced to live in a world in which none of us feel safe.

Just sharing what was told. I just relay messages. Felt like it was too stupid of a motive bc he was easily going to get caught
I think there will be a lot that comes out. I appreciate you relaying what you hear

Are you trolling? There is no “joke” since you can’t get past the literal. What he is saying is that it is ridiculous that people just want to throw up some “thoughts and prayers” without taking meaningful action to prevent these events from occurring in the first place. We’re forced to live in a world in which none of us feel safe.
Yeah I can’t think of a time in my life where someone said something funny and another person responded “what a joke!” That’s not generally how humans interact.

This is terrrible. Heard from a friend who is close to the program that this was a “gang initiation” moment for the shooter to perform. Early signs say this “hazing” was gang related. Absolutely terrible

This sounds absolutely absurd. In 2022, I guess you can't rule out anything but would be shocked if this was a gang assignment. Kid was enrolled in college at the time and probably a senior. Known to multiple people on the field trip. Identified immediately to police. Very hard to wrap my brain around it being gang ordered.

Thanks for that insight but I still do not understand what the joke is here ? Can you please elaborate for us not so smart people ?
Joke as in “pathetic” and “disappointing” and “frustrating.” Not “funny haha.”
And that it will continue to happen. Many reasons why, but don't want to get political.

My niece attends VT (yes, I know not UVA) and is standing with their players. Let’s show our support as SU fans if we can.

The undiagnosed variety. Anyone who can intentionally kill a person is mentally ill.

I hope I’m never in a position where I could have done something but didn’t; not sure how “witnesses that would not cooperate with the process” can live with themselves after this.

Witnesses who don't cooperate are often worried about retribution. This was a 'hazing' incident of some sort - whatever that is (on campus hazing???)...but for arguments sake lets says this is a bad dude who's known to run around with gang bangers. I don't know too many people who would rat. That's the world they live in.

Witnesses who don't cooperate are often worried about retribution. This was a 'hazing' incident of some sort - whatever that is (on campus hazing???)...but for arguments sake lets says this is a bad dude who's known to run around with gang bangers. I don't know too many people who would rat. That's the world they live in.
Kid has a hand gun incident from 2021 too. Chances are better that he was living that life style than that he was a college student that had a mental break / snapped / w.e.

You're also dead on. Melo who by all accounts is a decent human was featured in a stop snitching video. It's a whole different world people not immersed will not understand

Last edited:
The undiagnosed variety. Anyone who can intentionally kill a person is mentally ill.
Can you explain more your logic on this? Is everyone in the military or on a police force whom have killed someone mentally ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.