Shot Clock coming for 2019 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shot Clock coming for 2019

This is next-level stupid. Honestly one of the more ridiculous decisions by a sports league I have ever heard of. FOUR DAYS before the championship game they are throwing a confusing rule change at both the players and the refs? They give the NCAA players, coaches, refs, and shot clock operators the fall and winter to figure out all the stupid situations and strategies that result from the weird separate shot clock for clearing over half field and they give everyone involved in the underpaid and under-practiced MLL four days? Before their championship game?? Has anyone heard of anything even remotely close to this level of stupidity. Not just dumb but also an absolutely massive FU to the MLL. Who makes these decisions?

This is next-level stupid. Honestly one of the more ridiculous decisions by a sports league I have ever heard of. FOUR DAYS before the championship game they are throwing a confusing rule change at both the players and the refs? They give the NCAA players, coaches, refs, and shot clock operators the fall and winter to figure out all the stupid situations and strategies that result from the weird separate shot clock for clearing over half field and they give everyone involved in the underpaid and under-practiced MLL four days? Before their championship game?? Has anyone heard of anything even remotely close to this level of stupidity. Not just dumb but also an absolutely massive FU to the MLL. Who makes these decisions?

The MLL already has a 60 second shot clock, with 20 seconds to clear.

The MLL already has a 60 second shot clock, with 20 seconds to clear.

Yeah but I thought it was 60 total? Not 60 plus an additional 20 seconds that stops when you cross midfield. Oh wait someone just said he was commenting on how the MLL rules are similar to college and nothing is actually changing for the final game. Consider that last message REVOKED. His wording confused me I guess.

Yeah but I thought it was 60 total? Not 60 plus an additional 20 seconds that stops when you cross midfield. Oh wait someone just said he was commenting on how the MLL rules are similar to college and nothing is actually changing for the final game. Consider that last message REVOKED. His wording confused me I guess.

MLL Rules | Major League Lacrosse

1. MLL uses a 60-second shot clock in order to keep the game fast and exciting for fans and players. The shot clock is reset after a goal is scored, a shot hits the post, is saved by the goalie or there is a change of possession. If the clock runs out, possession is granted to the other team. Teams have 20 seconds to clear the ball across the midfield line.
  2. Because of the shot clock, there is no restraining box to “keep it in” such as in college lacrosse.
  3. MLL also has a 2-point arc on the field that adds another unique aspect to the game. Players must have both feet behind the line before shooting the ball in order for a 2-point goal to be scored.

1. MLL uses a 60-second shot clock in order to keep the game fast and exciting for fans and players. The shot clock is reset after a goal is scored, a shot hits the post, is saved by the goalie or there is a change of possession. If the clock runs out, possession is granted to the other team. Teams have 20 seconds to clear the ball across the midfield line.
  2. Because of the shot clock, there is no restraining box to “keep it in” such as in college lacrosse.
  3. MLL also has a 2-point arc on the field that adds another unique aspect to the game. Players must have both feet behind the line before shooting the ball in order for a 2-point goal to be scored.

Yes but the 60 seconds begin on change of possession. Unlike the new college rule where the 60 seconds begin after the team crosses midfield, which they have an additional 20 seconds to do. Or at least that was my understanding. But like I said, I kind of misread Quint's tweet and thought they were modifying the championship game to be exactly like the new NCAA rules plus the 2 point arc. Thus the dramatic rant. That was my mistake.

Yes but the 60 seconds begin on change of possession. Unlike the new college rule where the 60 seconds begin after the team crosses midfield, which they have an additional 20 seconds to do. Or at least that was my understanding. But like I said, I kind of misread Quint's tweet and thought they were modifying the championship game to be exactly like the new NCAA rules plus the 2 point arc. Thus the dramatic rant. That was my mistake.

I haven't seen an MLL game all year.

I guess we'll both find out on Saturday.

Me neither. But if they actually changed the rules to match college four days before the final game that would be totally crazy. Like I said I believe Quint's tweet was just worded in a weird way and they are not actually changing anything.

So exciting that few watch despite the top talents.. Seen a few games n reminded me of cars going around in circles.Yawn. Prefer the pace and greater intricacies of current college game

I wanted a shot clock but 60 seconds is too short. I think 90 seconds would be better.

I love maybe seeing the return of the 2 way player because all the subbing drives me crazy and detracts from the game, but the LSM has been around forever and should stay that way. I don't like that the LSM clears the ball over midfield and the clock starts. Getting him off and a shorty on means you're going to be starting your set with 50 seconds. In many cases this player might be staying on the field now like Reh did. (I guess that's the choice you make if you want to pole at the midfield now?)

Also, shouldn't the shot clock should be longer than a 6v5 man up minute penalty?. The 2 being equal doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Bring back the Superlight II

and then lets see how good stick skills are
To quote the sig block of one of our posters on LP, “Straight sidewalls. No offset. Freedom!” I’ll add that the sidewalls can’t be more than 1.5”.

The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Rules Committee has altered its proposal of a shot clock after receiving feedback from survey data, according to several coaches.

The committee has shifted to an 80-second shot clock that starts on possession. Teams will still need to clear across midline in 20 seconds, but the shot clock will be triggered on possession. So, if a team clears past midline in 10 seconds, it will have 70 seconds to shoot from there.

The reset will be 80 seconds, as well.

The initial proposal announced in early August featured a 60-second shot clockafter crossing midline, with 20 seconds to clear. The reset was 60 seconds.

Since the Rules Committee’s announcement, there has been a feedback period. The NCAA Rules Committee solicits feedback from coaches and conference administrators, who provide feedback in the form of surveys. Those results go back to the Rules Committee to make adjustments.

There was strong organization from some groups of coaches and administrators specific to the shot clock. In a story in late August, a coach described a "groundswell" of coaches concerned about it. Loyola coach Charley Toomey expressed his concerns in Pete Lasagna's column in the latest issue of Inside Lacrosse Magazine.

The altered proposal moves to the NCAA Playing Oversight Panel’s review Wednesday. The PROP committee was formed to "review playing-rules proposals, especially those involving player safety, financial impact or image of the game and to review playing-rules issues, including implementation of playing rules proposed by playing rules committees."

Now all they need to do is put up a 10' fence along the back line and up to even with the goal mouth on the sidelines to keep the ball live on missed shots.

One thing jumps out at me, and seems ridiculously excessive:

d. If an offensive player, in possession of the ball and outside the crease area, dives or jumps in the direction of the goal mouth and lands in the crease, the goal shall be disallowed. In addition, the player shall be penalized with a minimum of a 1-minute foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty may be releasable or non-releasable at the discretion of the official. Contact is not required for a foul to be called under this rule. Defensive contact legal or illegal may have an effect on this play.

A player landing in the crease gets a 1 minute unsportsmanlike?????? Tell me I'm misreading that.

One thing jumps out at me, and seems ridiculously excessive:

d. If an offensive player, in possession of the ball and outside the crease area, dives or jumps in the direction of the goal mouth and lands in the crease, the goal shall be disallowed. In addition, the player shall be penalized with a minimum of a 1-minute foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty may be releasable or non-releasable at the discretion of the official. Contact is not required for a foul to be called under this rule. Defensive contact legal or illegal may have an effect on this play.

A player landing in the crease gets a 1 minute unsportsmanlike?????? Tell me I'm misreading that.

If you dive at the goalie, you head to the sin bin. Diving away from the goalie / goal mouth is allowed.

Penalty may or may not be one minute. Penalty may or may not be non-releasable. Contact may or may not have an effect on the call. That contact that may or may not be illegal could maybe have an effect on the call but they may or may not consider it. Great job clarifying nuance in this memo eh?

If you dive at the goalie, you head to the sin bin. Diving away from the goalie / goal mouth is allowed.
OK. That's not how I read it. To me, 'direction of the goal mouth' doesn't necessarily mean at the goalie.
1538146391814.gif

Can't say I expected this (at least this soon). Wonder if other high school leagues follow suit? Maybe just private schools?

MIAA schools have a lot more money to afford a visible shot clock than public schools. In the area I coach in, not all of the schools play in their football stadiums with access to the play clock.

I can see the 10 yard substitution box returning, though

Here are comments from Lars Tiffany concerning the shot clock based on UVa's scrimmage against PSU:

"We learned a great deal from our scrimmage versus Penn State up in Washington, D.C. The new shot clock rule is a welcome addition to the college lacrosse game: there is now a known, a consistency with the timing of offensive possessions that alleviates the pressure officials previously faced of enforcing a hybrid shot clock. In addition, the spectators and teams can clearly see when a shot must be on-cage. The 80-second shot clock does not force all teams into one style: there is still enough time for wholesale substitutions and specialization if that is what a staff determines is best for their team, while the faster-paced teams can certainly enjoy quicker changes in possession and employing their systems. The smaller substitution box, along with an additional 5 yard coaches-only area, is also helpful! Transition offense will be less impacted by quick offense-to-defense substitutions than it has been the past 6 years."

He also said no one on either team tried to use the new "Dive Rule".

Last edited:
Screw the dive, there was no need to go counter to other sports and increase injury risk for an infrequent highlight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom