Sidibe getting an MRI | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sidibe getting an MRI

Pfft.

I've been told in other threads that this does not matter in the slightest.
Again my counter to this then the HC failed his job big time by playing this game yesterday and the idea that confidence in Joe Girard could go down if he sat down is garbage.
If the HC can’t sit him down in the second half because his confidence will go down when he hasn’t practiced then when can the kid be sat down?

The lack of practice hurt our team but that isn’t good fix how awful our defense was at the top of the zone unless we change the lineup a little which is a major point of frustration from yesterday.

I gotta figure JW is getting a little nervous with all of this. At some point the poor showings by Football and Hoops is going to hit the bottom line a lot harder. The longer there isn't at least a little heat on both programs, the more the hits keep coming. This isn't a referendum on changing coaches, just that the patterns are not good and the messaging is that of "deal with it" more than anything else.
TV runs the AD, not butts in seats.

Simple question where does the talent on roster rank in relation to the ACC?

Where does our talent rank in relation to an average top 25 team?

It’s mid tier ACC talent ...

Q, Griffin, Marek are all legitimate high ACC caliber players. I think Sidibe can be based on how he finished last year. Kadary seems to be.

Other than that? Buddy has an elite skill.

Good question. I’m not sure. I think Duke probably has the most talent in the conference. After that the jury is out on everyone else. I watched UVA play yesterday. Fans are complaining about Girard. Clark was voted preseason all league and he looked like trash yesterday too.

The only teams in the ACC that without a doubt have more pure talent than us are Duke, UNC, FSU, and Louisville.

There’s arguments to be made that UVA, NC State, and Miami have more but if they do it’s not by much. UVA absolutely has a better team but just talking talent they aren’t special.

We need to get our legs back under us and I think its silly to try to judge what our team is, good or bad, before we go to Rutgers.

One game in and I’m seeing the cornucopia of sports message board crazy. We got people low key calling for the head of the HOFer, others saying the AD might (should?) be on the hot seat for not firing the HOFer and within a month or two of donating his whole salary back to the school, a middle aged couch dwelling guy claiming he is a better athlete than our starters... all this in a thread about a possible serious injury to the starting center.

Big fat bonus points for the use of the word cornucopia.

The only teams in the ACC that without a doubt have more pure talent than us are Duke, UNC, FSU, and Louisville.

There’s arguments to be made that UVA, NC State, and Miami have more but if they do it’s not by much. UVA absolutely has a better team but just talking talent they aren’t special.

We need to get our legs back under us and I think its silly to try to judge what our team is, good or bad, before we go to Rutgers.
Fair analysis.
I am a realist and not an idealist.

I don’t care it was a close game.
I care our defense sucked.
I don’t see Girard and Buddy getting better defensively unless they force turnovers.
Our defense really sucks.
Marek at the 5 is such a short sided I want to win games against tomato cans decision that it’s depressing.

We need Marek to playing center with our backcourt is just asking for ACC teams to put him in foul trouble.

We have 2 more games before Rutgirls. And we're going to need them. The team we saw last night loses by 20+ at the RAC. I'm not cliff-diving because it's the first game and we obviously weren't ready to play. But our perimeter defense looked as weak as I've seen it in years. Our defensive rebounding was good but when Bryant went inside the second half (at will) we had no answer without Sid in there (hope it's not serious). Really need the two backup centers to figure out the zone so MD can stay at PF. Our spacing in the zone was way off. On offense we were totally disorganized, so I hope to see better ball movement and improved PG play.

Last edited:
Im not so sure he would be. Joe isnt a D1 PG. He is at best a streak shooter who would be used by most teams against a zone.
He cant beat anyone off the dribble.
He is a liability on D
He isnt shooting well.
Forget the fact that he is a local kid who set amazing records.
He is at best an average player. He wouldn't start for Bryant.

Kid started for a team that was over .500 in the ACC, but he’s “not a D-1” point guard. The rest of the team must’ve been INCREDIBLE to still have a decent year with a kid that’s not a D-1 PG playing 40 minutes of PG every night.

Marek isn't the answer at the 5. We all know this. There is a ceiling to their success with him there. Playing him there now regularly may help you win a few garbage early season games, but who cares, you're still capping your ceiling.

See here is how it's supposed to work. You actually try and DEVELOP someone who is more suited to play the 5. Crazy right? This might lead to frustrating times early in the year. Heck , you might even lose a couple games due to this "developmental period." But over time, you actually improve and your ceiling is raised. Now you have a better player at the 5 AND increased depth.
Here's the thing, I both believe that 1) Marek is an answer at the 5 and having him play there gives us the flexibility to put our most skilled lineup on the floor (and has been doing this for a long time despite the chagrin of many fans) and 2) it would benefit us if JB was a bit more willing to spread the minutes around to the backup 5s, Edwards in particular because he showed some skill last season when he got a chance.

Fair analysis.
I am a realist and not an idealist.

I don’t care it was a close game.
I care our defense sucked.
I don’t see Girard and Buddy getting better defensively unless they force turnovers.
Our defense really sucks.
Marek at the 5 is such a short sided I want to win games against tomato cans decision that it’s depressing.

We need Marek to playing center with our backcourt is just asking for ACC teams to put him in foul trouble.
I think our death lineup might reveal itself to be Richmond/Jackson/Griffin/Guerrier/Marek. That squad's got everything.

I think our death lineup might reveal itself to be Richmond/Jackson/Griffin/Guerrier/Marek. That squad's got everything.
I like that lineup. But, Marek is a little soft in the middle. That should be our best offensive lineup with multiple playmakers and shooters.

Did you guys watch his “presser”? I didn’t think he ripped anyone. He said Bryant was playing 4 guards and a lot of zone...and that AG and QG were cleaning up on the boards...so he needed Marek at the 5, and it was hard to get Braswell back in there. He actually explained it pretty openly. Don’t see where he ripped anyone.

lol. You’re right. This place is flat out insane, lol. These guys will see a tweet about one comment that came from a 20 minute discussion and roll with their predetermined H0T Takes.

JB said we would’ve lost without Marek at the 5...hard to argue with that when he had 20-9-6 and was being featured in the high post - while QG and QG had 15-12 and 14-12 from the forward spots. We needed every ounce of that to win.

He also said against bigger teams, and teams where we don’t need Marek in the high post against a zone, the other centers would get more opportunity.

When JB talks hoops, he does it as well as anyone I’ve ever heard. These guys are too busy being busybodies to hear it though. Kinda sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom