Slow death of the ACC takes another major step | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Slow death of the ACC takes another major step

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on a fan forum. My point is that FSU isn't on their own and Clemson won't be the last to join, weak case or not. the more schools that join the more the ACC is squeezed.
Legally, why do more plaintiffs mean the ACC's position is weaker?

I don't know what "squeezed" means in this context either.

Edit: you're acting like a court is going to say "holy cow, there are 4 plaintiffs now, the ACC getting squeezed, I guess that GOR isn't really on solid legal ground." I don't think that's how the law works, but I'm more of a glorified social worker than a real lawyer, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Legally, why do more plaintiffs mean the ACC's position is weaker?

I don't know what "squeezed" means in this context either.
I don't think it is a legal issue. It's a comfort issue and running a league with let's say 4 schools publicly taking the steps to get out is uncomfortable for the ACC. The legal reps won't decide the ACC's future, the PR reps for the schools and the league will.

I don't think it is a legal issue. It's a comfort issue and running a league with let's say 4 schools publicly taking the steps to get out is uncomfortable for the ACC. The legal reps won't decide the ACC's future, the PR reps for the schools and the league will.
The legal arguments are going to decide how much money schools have to pay to leave.

I'm not a lawyer, y'all can keep arguing about this and I don't love that Clemson joined in, but it reminds me of this from A Few Good Man:

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

Everyone knows the ACC as we know it is on life support. I imagine right now there are negotiations to not drag this out and to let the schools who want to leave, leave by 2026. The whole purpose of Stanford, Cal and SMU was to protect us for this exact scenario.

Always remember, football drives the bus.
But SEC and B1G are using their football advantage to gain advantages on basketball. Soon SEC and B1G will gain advantage on all fronts like in academics. They will have better athletes and better students. It already showed in recent years that ACC no longer has dominating power on basketball. Actually ACC is inferior on sending the number of schools to NCAA tournament in P5, especially compared to P2.

Separate conferences for separate sports May well be the future.

An
Ordering of
Conferences wouldn’t be a surprise.
Perhaps with a form
Of relegation and promotion.
That may look like a long shot or a joke now…but change is
Coming in forms we may not see yet.

Syracuse is not getting a Big 10 invite. There is only 1 private school in the past 90 years that has received a P2 invite and that is USC.
What's that got to do with today? The one time you mentioned happened 5 minutes ago. The last 90 years ,as of 4 or 5 years ago, is long gone my friend

Wait a minute - FSU folks were insane and had no chance. I read it here. Why would Clemson do the same?
Maybe the SEC and B1G making recent noises about coming together in some fashion.

Syracuse is not getting a Big 10 invite. There is only 1 private school in the past 90 years that has received a P2 invite and that is USC.
Except for Notre Dame….

Which B12 teams would you target before their GOR expires? Let's assume it will be the same time period that four ACC teams negotiate their departure.

Depends on the end goal. How large does the B18 get? For tradition IMO 30 is the magic number. Then you can have divisions of...

Old PAC 8 - Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Old Big 8 / WAC - Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Arizona State
Old Big 10 West - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern
Old Big 10 East - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Old Eastern Indy - Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Miami
Old ACC - UVA, UNC, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU

Assuming the B18 can get Clemson and FSU over the SEC. If they miss out on one or both that opens up a spot in the Eastern for BC and/or SU, with Maryland and/or Miami moving to the ACC division. I don't think Pitt, UConn, or Duke would be considered.

The FSU/Clemson stance feels very similar to our Carrier naming rights dilemma. Can we just fast forward to the agreed upon buy outs? The one good thing is if we stay put we’ll get a nice payout from both parties and whoever else decides to join.

Would rather take that and reassess where we stand than rush to take pennies on the dollar like Oregon/Washington IMO.

Separate conferences for separate sports May well be the future.

An
Ordering of
Conferences wouldn’t be a surprise.
Perhaps with a form
Of relegation and promotion.
That may look like a long shot or a joke now…but change is
Coming in forms we may not see yet.
An ordering like MLB, AAA, A Ball, etc?

But SEC and B1G are using their football advantage to gain advantages on basketball. Soon SEC and B1G will gain advantage on all fronts like in academics. They will have better athletes and better students. It already showed in recent years that ACC no longer has dominating power on basketball. Actually ACC is inferior on sending the number of schools to NCAA tournament in P5, especially compared to P2.
Since the turn of the century, which I consider recent history, teams from the B1G & SEC can account for a whopping 5 NC's (I counted where teams are now). Even more recently both conferences together have won a total of 1 since 2010. Not exactly dominating. Since 2000, here's the breakdown: ACC-9, BE-6, Big12-3, SEC-3, B1G-2.
That said, basketball isn't running the show so I guess that doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:
FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA leave, Tulane, USF, and UConn join.

I am impressed with how definitive your response was. As you can with 100 percent accuracy see the future, would you mind sharing the upcoming Powerball numbers please?
This Clemson thing I don't think makes anything move much, if at all.

I am impressed with how definitive your response was. As you can with 100 percent accuracy see the future, would you mind sharing the upcoming Powerball numbers please?
This Clemson thing I don't think makes anything move much, if at all.
Just look at it objectively:

State flagship university? No.
AAU? No.
Captures a new large market? No, as Rutgers already brings the NYC cable boxes.
Recent football success? No. Since 2002, Syracuse is 107-161.
Recent basketball success? Yes. Since 2002, 1 championship and 3 Final Fours.

I think the Big 10 would take UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cal and maybe Duke and FSU (and of course Notre Dame) before Syracuse.

Wait a minute - FSU folks were insane and had no chance. I read it here. Why would Clemson do the same?
To do proper due diligence and get a feel for how FSU's arguments would hold up in a South Carolina court. Frankly we should be doing the same in NY, but probably don;t want to incur the legal fees.

AAU? No.

I think the Big 10 would take UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cal and maybe Duke and FSU (and of course Notre Dame) before Syracuse.
Oh I do and by no means am I suggesting that we would be a shoe in or anything even. No one though knows with certainty though how things are going to play out. One mega league, just B10 and SEC, 24 , 30 or 36 team leagues, control regional footprints, medi rights, etc. Lots of different permutations out there. Let's just see how things officially unfold before saying we have no chances at all.

FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA leave, Tulane, USF, and UConn join.
1710882569805.gif

AAU? No.

FSU is 1st on the B1G priority list. Then maybe UNC.

Syracuse may not be a big state school, but there are about 4,000,000 people in Albany to Rochester, Binghamton to Watertown area. That's a Upstate including Buffalo and the Hudson Valley is about 7,000,000. We certainly command a bigger media presence than Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cal and even UVA since they share the state with VT.

FSU and UNC are safe. If the B1G wanted Stanford and Cal they'd have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom