So apparently Duke is allowed to throw elbows | Syracusefan.com

So apparently Duke is allowed to throw elbows

And not only not get called for a foul, but it’s a foul on the opponent to get elbowed in the face
I could not believe that call. What the heck does it mean he was in the cylinder?

And not only not get called for a foul, but it’s a foul on the opponent to get elbowed in the face
What?! Amazing. I hate Duke. I’m pretending to be shocked.

I could not believe that call. What the heck does it mean he was in the cylinder?

It means that there are rules that are written somewhere in the rule book that are NEVER actually applied unless there is an emergent need to ensure certain teams win .. at which point the rules can be recalled from deep within the recesses of the refs sigmoid colon ..

In last weeks Duke/Boston College game, Vernon Carey had 4 fouls with about 5 mins left in a tight game. He absolutely trucked a Boston College defender and the ref called a “travel” before the offensive foul, allowing Carey to stay in the game for the final minutes. I would bet my life savings they call the foul on Carey if he didn’t already have 4 fouls. It was arguably as egregious as last nights foul call on FSU.

Meanwhile, any time Duke loses Coach K whines about the refs.

How about the break Duke got late in the UNC game. Where they called it out of bounds but the Tarheel player was fouled right before..The refs have REALLY had Dukes back this week in crucial situations.

As for last night Leonard Hamilton needed to go jacket tossing Boeheim on those refs. Instead he seemed timid.

Mike Brey just missed the mark with the whole ND football rant but the conference needs more of these coaches to start calling out the officiating bias.

“The cylinder is an area for the offensive player to start a basketball play, which is start a shot, a dribble or a pass. It's defined as the hip area, the rear area, and the space in front of the offensive player when his elbows are bent and he's holding the ball in front of him,”.

Wow this rule may be worse than block/charge.

The cylinder rule is a real Thing but that was not close to how it should Be used.

my point is that it is a "rule" that in my entire life I've never seen applied...I'm not implying it isn't an actual rule. It's just NEVER called. and it certainly wasn't appropriate in that situation where the FSU guy was in his own space. what's he supposed to do, run away from the Dukie?

Didn't Duke throw some wild elbow against us in the game last year that they just let go?

Didn't Duke throw some wild elbow against us in the game last year that they just let go?

DeLaurier threw about 10 of them at us and got away with murder

my point is that it is a "rule" that in my entire life I've never seen applied...I'm not implying it isn't an actual rule. It's just NEVER called. and it certainly wasn't appropriate in that situation where the FSU guy was in his own space. what's he supposed to do, run away from the Dukie?
Must not watch much college basketball it’s been a point of emphasis this year.

Triche got a flagrant in a tournament game once because he did what hurt did and the defender was closer to him than that...

Yes, I believe that was the game vs Montana. 1st round of the 2013 Final Four run. Seth Davis famously predicted Montana would pull the upset and Syracuse went on to win by nearly 50. Good memory.

I am a Bilas fan, and I enjoyed his bewilderment after this play last night.

He said (and I am paraphrasing) "the official(s) did not want to deal with the complexity of the call." That's why he is the best CBB commentator, at present.

I'm not sure why they did not review the elbow. Yet they'll spend 9 minutes reviewing whose finger nail hit the ball last.

I am in favor of a little experiment. Let's have Coach K., Wojo and Quinn Snyder ref a game at Cameron. I'm serious. I think the Duke opponent would get a fairer called game. And I'm serious.

I accept the "cylinder" rule and it has come into play several times thiss year from what I have seen. However, in my opinion, it was certainly not applicable in this situation. Get your contact knocked out by an elbow yet you committed the foul??????

It was a horrific call. But the cylinder rule is a thing. It was not applied appropriately at all last night. The rule has been used in our games though, so I am sure you’ve seen it before.

Yes, I believe that was the game vs Montana. 1st round of the 2013 Final Four run. Seth Davis famously predicted Montana would pull the upset and Syracuse went on to win by nearly 50. Good memory.
I never miss an opportunity to post this, which was the aftermath of his historically bad Montana upset prediction (final score SU 81-34).

Seth Davis Orange.jpg

Shows the importance of angles. I would have sworn Hurt elbowed him but that top down replay shows he clearly didn't it was perfect timing and angles to hide a teammate hand - face hug

Who was the official that made the call - I can't tell on the replay.

Shows the importance of angles. I would have sworn Hurt elbowed him but that top down replay shows he clearly didn't it was perfect timing and angles to hide a teammate hand - face hug
This is true. On the other hand, Hurt still launches himself. I honestly thought he traveled.

The cylinder rule is a good rule. It stops defenders from crowding the ballhandler to the point that he can’t even turn to make a play without contacting the defender. Before the new-ish rules that severely penalize contact to the head, the alternative to the cylinder rule was just to elbow the heck out of the defender, who really has no business being in your face like that (crowding, itself, should be a foul). Basically, you tried to murder the guy so he wouldn’t crowd you again. Now that’s an ejection and probably a suspension, so the cylinder rule is a more civilized way to stop garbage defense from being rewarded.

All of that said, that cylinder call in the Duke game was atrocious. That’s not the correct application of the rule, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom