So Babers is sold on Shrader? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So Babers is sold on Shrader?

He hasnt been able to hit a deep pass in any of his games. He often isnt even close. He easily could have been picked 4 times if Liberty had a better D. Teams will just start loading the box against him and undercut anything he attempts to throw beyond 10 yards.
He threw into triple coverage last night!

Fell apart when the coaches didn’t adjust, made terrible calls, didn’t put the offense in position to win nor give them/Shrader a chance.

Next week we will see a more open O with more passing. Might be with both qbs
I think the line looked better when the snap didn't hit the new roof. I doubt that's a coincidence, have to assume they all prefer gs

He’s about equal to Welch and worse than Mahoney. He couldn’t even throw a 10 yard curl last night.
Welch was decent, he could have got the Orange to a bowl game in 19 if Dino didn't have all his chips on TD, who was injured as well. GS will get better, this was his first start and first real action against a gamey team in a long time.

One was from the 1 yard line and the other like the 8. Not really a hard bar to match
It was the play action fake and what he did before running into the end zone. Tommy can’t do what Garrett can running the option.

Despite my Shrader takes I actually agree with this. And I thought he should have gotten in tonight when we stalled in the second half when the team had the wind taken out of their sails by the bad coaching. Needed a change along the lines your calling for with TD. Might make sense to try this with a very short leash for Tommy.
I agree. As crazy as this sounds, I believe we have a better chance of winning with both playing.

Completely abandoned the passing game. Can't figure it out. Tucker is awesome. Thats no question.

Good for a win tonight. Woot!

Fell apart when Liberty adjusted. Can't imagine a team that watched this film not prepared to stop it.

Let FSU prepare for a 1 dimensional run only offense. And then give me TD so we can light them up in the air.

FSU has a very solid run D.

So, if we go w/ Shredder & Tucker, unless we get some semblance of a passing game from Garrett, we're likely gonna get shut down.
FSU may be in disarray, but they've got talent and athletes on D.
We cannot be totally 1-dimensional against them, like we were in this game.

At a minimum, we need to incorporate play action passing, and some screens, so GS can have some throws he can (potentially) make, without needing exceptional arm talent.
(I really despise that term, btw.)

I'd also like to see a little trickeration. We are SOOOOOOO vanilla on O, it's maddening!!!
How about Taj doing an end-around and then option pass offa that?
Kid was a HS QB, we know he can throw the ball well enough to make that play work.
Do a throwback to GS, who will likely be WIDE OPEN with Taj running across the field the other direction.

I was cool with the change at QB. They needed to give it a real shot. Great win, go Cuse!

Does anyone think that the coaches saw something defensively with liberty that made them play Garrett instead of Tommy? That same reasoning with Fl St may get Tommy the start?

Do people think this is injury related, gameplan related, or it is just time for new blood? Curious what people are thinking.

He was a 57 percent passer at MSU who got moved to WR because he didnt fit a throwing scheme. He isnt some guy who is going to develop into throwing 65 percent and 300 yards. Anyway the game could have easily been lost even with him in. We did almost nothing offensively in the second half besides tucker really. Most of the shredder "naysayers" are simply saying he isnt a clear cut QB1. Just because you want dungey to come back on the field doesnt mean any QB who can run is him.
Dungey was not an elite thrower also. His senior year he made so nice throws but it was his intangibles and desire to win that made him great. GS is a sophomore. Has not started in two years. Give him sometime and let’s see what he can do. Enjoy the win.

Schrader is not Dungey, but runs with similar abandon.
He's a big strong QB, but Schrader can easily get himself injured the way he runs the ball.
DeVito better stay ready.

What would he have done on the plays where Shrader escaped pressure? He would've taken a sack, got us off schedule, and then thrown the ball out of bounds on third and long.
Lol. Valid points

GS has had 4 games, TD has had 4 (actually 5) years.

He just won his first start against the best team we played this year and a team that smoked us last year.

Again, Tommy has had the longest runway of opportunity to win and lock the starting spot for maybe any QB to ever come here.

Dungey said Amie was the better of the QBs after him.

Multiple announcing teams have called out Tommy's ineptitudes.

Shrader saved a ton of bad snaps. Made some great runs. Had a clutch run to make our game-winning FG easier. Kid is 6'4", 230.

Maybe if Shrader's dad would post here and DM with folks, Shrader would have more support.

In a nutshell I don’t think TD probably wins this game. It’s already been mentioned why by others, positive plays instead of negative plays and long 3rd downs. The 2 TD runs I don’t think are made, even the 1 yd leap, I don’t know that TD doesn’t get rejected there. We converted 3rd downs, that has been a huge issue for DB since he’s been here. Our 3rd down conversion % has largely been terrible as well as our redzone scoring. 2 things that’s were solid last night. Some guys just find a way to win.

The weird thing to me is. GS throws the ball worse than I expected. Is it rust? He’s been practicing since last spring, so I don’t know. But he hasn’t played in over a year. He also started, I think 6-7 games in the SEC (don’t feel like looking it up again) as a freshman. Did an SEC team play him as a freshman, continue to play him, if he was throwing like that. Just really weird. I feel like that has to improve but as I’ve harped on with other people about upward trajectories. Not everything goes up. He’s been throwing the ball in practice for awhile now. Maybe his throws improve a little but I’m not expecting a massive improvement.

Not turn it over, not take sacks, not run to the right and throw it out bounds because you
Can’t read the defense or see the field, and running the ball with a purpose and smelling the end zone and getting in twice. Tommy get in there?

Again...I didn’t even post about Shrader.

I asked about Tommy. He made some big throws against UNC 3 years ago. What since? We already know we’re not winning with him.
If anyone says “we know we’re not winning with him” and fails to mention the worst OL in the P5 during his first two years, I tune the whole thing out

This OL and RB combo (along with the D) gives is a chance in every game. TD hasn’t thrown a lot of INT and this year has shown better pocket awareness and is running for a higher clip than the running QB. We can win with both and will probably need both.

I’m rooting for both.

He would've found a way to kill every scoring drive with a play that didn't result in a bad passing outcome
Yep. I’ve been watching TD for 3 years now, wondering why our O stalls constantly. It just does. He can’t make enough plays to extended drives. Blame whatever, but that’s what happens and it’s a long standing pattern.

Shrader is a ridiculously flawed QB. I suspect I’ll scream at my TV at things he does a LOT the more he plays. But he has one great quality: ecapability. Several times last night he got positive yardage where TD would not have. We desperately need that.

Neither QB is particularly good. We’re stuck because Dino still can’t find an above average QB, six years into his tenure. But here we are.

Yep. I’ve been watching TD for 3 years now, wondering why our O stalls constantly. It just does. He can’t make enough plays to extended drives. Blame whatever, but that’s what happens and it’s a long standing pattern.

Shrader is a ridiculously flawed QB. I suspect I’ll scream at my TV at things he does a LOT the more he plays. But he has one great quality: ecapability. Several times last night he got positive yardage where TD would not have. We desperately need that.

Neither QB is particularly good. We’re stuck because Dino still can’t find an above average QB, six years into his tenure. But here we are.
TD run where Schrader faked the pitch and froze the D was beautiful.
Devito couldn't make that play,

What doesn’t show up as much in the box score is he minimizes negative plays.

Doesn’t take nearly as many sacks. Has an awareness and ability to escape bad situations to turn -7 into +1. That’s the difference between 3&5 and 3&12. We weren’t getting that before.

He’s not a drive killer, he’s an extender. Keeps the defense off the field longer and gives the offense a chance at more plays.

We won the TOP battle last night against a potent offense. had possession for 31 minutes. We averaged 24 last year. That’s a step in the right direction.

And this Liberty team boat raced us last year.
This is the argument I’m most open to. Good points.

If anyone says “we know we’re not winning with him” and fails to mention the worst OL in the P5 during his first two years, I tune the whole thing out

This OL and RB combo (along with the D) gives is a chance in every game. TD hasn’t thrown a lot of INT and this year has shown better pocket awareness and is running for a higher clip than the running QB. We can win with both and will probably need both.

I’m rooting for both.

Yeah because the line was amazing last night. Had TD played he would have been sacked multiple times. TD doesn’t prevent every single one of those snaps from turning in to a TO. Maybe most of them but probably not all of them. GS also turned many of those into at least not huge losses. Tucker had some good holes but not always. He made a lot out of nothing. Liberty’s line didn’t suck and it put pressure on GS in ways that TD hasn’t been successful before.

TD run where Schrader faked the pitch and froze the D was beautiful.
Devito couldn't make that play,
Exactly. Some athletes are robotic and some are instinctual. TD has all the physical tools and I suspect is smart enough to learn every read, but when the ball is snapped, everything is processed too slow. Shrader makes moves off of instinct. It's too bad his arm is only marginally better than mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom