So Babers is sold on Shrader? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So Babers is sold on Shrader?

Completely abandoned the passing game. Can't figure it out. Tucker is awesome. Thats no question.

Good for a win tonight. Woot!

Fell apart when Liberty adjusted. Can't imagine a team that watched this film not prepared to stop it.

Let FSU prepare for a 1 dimensional run only offense. And then give me TD so we can light them up in the air.
Fell apart when the coaches didn’t adjust, made terrible calls, didn’t put the offense in position to win nor give them/Shrader a chance.

Next week we will see a more open O with more passing. Might be with both qbs

I just want to win. I respect your analysis for many years and if you’re that adamant that GS is the guy I’m willing to revisit my thoughts. You are way more skilled at X’s and O’s Time for some sleep. Great win.
I am not all in on GS. I think he lacks a lot. But I think given the surrounding players on O his style gives us the best chance at 6 Ws. I don't think he is a long term solution, and wouldn't be surprised if he is beaten out by another QB prior to the start of 2022. For 2021 though I think he has to start. And if we do need to ever actually throw the ball, what better option off the bench than Tommy? i would love to run the full O, but I rather get to 6 Ws with a limited O than go 3-9 with the full one.

Speed doesn't make you a good runner. Come on.
Thank you!! TD's runs all happen in the open field, rarely did he ever break a tackle or run through contact. GS and him are just different runners, PFF or QBR might not care about this but it matters big time. In todays day and age all QB's are in good shape and can run in the open field, that's what TD is and he is by no means a good runner.

I start TD vs FSU and throw the ball for the first quarter and see how it goes. Not because I like TD more, I actually like Schrader, but FSU is going to prepare for Schrader and stack the box. If you start TD their defensive game plan is out the window. Its a road game, roll the dice. Jmho

I will also say (as others here have said as well) the QB debate is just like 2001. Tommy can run the ball but isn't a running QB, just like Nunes. Shrader is a big bodied runner, just like RJ. Tommy's QB rating, YPA, and completion % are almost identical to Nunes. Shrader you hope he is over 50% completions just like RJ. Tommy has a lot of boneheaded plays (although sacks and not INTs), just like Nunes.

I start TD vs FSU and throw the ball for the first quarter and see how it goes. Not because I like TD more, I actually like Schrader, but FSU is going to prepare for Schrader and stack the box. If you start TD their defensive game plan is out the window. Its a road game, roll the dice. Jmho
Dino already said GS gets the start against FSU

Despite my Shrader takes I actually agree with this. And I thought he should have gotten in tonight when we stalled in the second half when the team had the wind taken out of their sails by the bad coaching. Needed a change along the lines your calling for with TD. Might make sense to try this with a very short leash for Tommy.

What doesn’t show up as much in the box score is he minimizes negative plays.

Doesn’t take nearly as many sacks. Has an awareness and ability to escape bad situations to turn -7 into +1. That’s the difference between 3&5 and 3&12. We weren’t getting that before.

He’s not a drive killer, he’s an extender. Keeps the defense off the field longer and gives the offense a chance at more plays.

We won the TOP battle last night against a potent offense. had possession for 31 minutes. We averaged 24 last year. That’s a step in the right direction.

And this Liberty team boat raced us last year.

Doesn’t take nearly as many sacks. Has an awareness and ability to escape bad situations to turn -7 into +1. That’s the difference between 3&5 and 3&12. We weren’t getting that before.

He’s not a drive killer, he’s an extender. Keeps the defense off the field longer and gives the offense a chance at more plays.

We won the TOP battle last night against a potent offense. had possession for 31 minutes. We averaged 24 last year. That’s a step in the right direction.

Yeah, and I'll add that people need to wrap their heads around the fact that GS is going to look sloppy. He's not a great passer. A lot of things are going to seem like broken plays. He doesn't throw the ball "pretty." His long ball accuracy hasn't looked good so far.

But he moves the sticks. And that gives us a chance to score point. I'll take winning ugly and qualifying for bowl appearances. We're halfway there.

And for the record, I've said since the beginning: "may the best player win the PT." Don't care who it is, don't care which of them wins, because I'm rooting for the TEAM. Tommy can still play an important role. QBs get hurt all the time. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Agree.
We won against a good football team. Yes tucker was awesome but a good running qb keeps the D honest and helps Tucker.
There were multiple bad snaps that hurt the offense but instead of taking repeated sacks he made something positive on most snaps.
His first couple of deep throws were poor. His last two throws were good. Announcers commented throw to Alford was were only his receiver could make the play Alford just did not come down with the pass. The pass to Johnson was good but he let the defender push him out of bounds.
Our wr blocking on some screen passes in the second half was bad.
Was GS perfect tonight? No. But he did do enough to be successful. After losing so many games over the last two years I will take a win over a good team.
Have the snaps been discussed? Servais? Wow that was bad

Where did Shrader miss a 10 yard slant? BTW is that even in the playbook? His throws over 15 yards are not going to be great. You act like he throws like Welch or Mahoney and that is just flat out false. If you are going to criticize him at least be factual.

He’s about equal to Welch and worse than Mahoney. He couldn’t even throw a 10 yard curl last night.

I just don’t see it. He got most of the Rutgers game. 7 points.

we couldn’t run the ball against Ruckers. When we can run the ball it changes the game and I believe Tommy would’ve put some points up and hit some passes that would’ve been open as a result of the running game. And maybe I’m wrong. FSU is going to be an animal though, their defense will be way better than liberty

we couldn’t run the ball against Ruckers. When we can run the ball it changes the game and I believe Tommy would’ve put some points up and hit some passes that would’ve been open as a result of the running game. And maybe I’m wrong. FSU is going to be an animal though, their defense will be way better than liberty
I also don’t think we ran Tucker in the second half of the Rutgers game

You can't have a one read QB who eats the ball and takes sacks

Have the snaps been discussed? Servais? Wow that was bad
OMG. I couldn't believe the number of bad snaps. How is that possible. I'm still in shock about it. One time the center almost snapped it over Schraders head. Another time the snap hit Mang's shoulder.. Still other times the snaps were at Schrader's knees?

I don't think Babers is sold on Shrader. He's been trying to figure which QB deficiencies hurt the offense less. It looks like he felt like the guy with more poise under pressure that can run but not throw is that guy.

I think he really wanted the light to come on for TD, but it just hasn't.

Yup. Of course. I agree I will say, though I believe the worst decision Dino has made in SIX Years was starting GS tonight and we still won. He literally went with a worse QB and it BLOWS my mind. Like speechless type stuff and I’m not even a Tommy fan!!

I don’t agree I believe Garret has intangibles that Devito hasn’t shown yet and it’s mostly how tentative he is. When I watch Devito play I don’t see him exude confidence behind the line and make decisions.

I will also say (as others here have said as well) the QB debate is just like 2001. Tommy can run the ball but isn't a running QB, just like Nunes. Shrader is a big bodied runner, just like RJ. Tommy's QB rating, YPA, and completion % are almost identical to Nunes. Shrader you hope he is over 50% completions just like RJ. Tommy has a lot of boneheaded plays (although sacks and not INTs), just like Nunes.
But Tommy isn’t an absolute magician.

He hasnt been able to hit a deep pass in any of his games. He often isnt even close. He easily could have been picked 4 times if Liberty had a better D. Teams will just start loading the box against him and undercut anything he attempts to throw beyond 10 yards.
He dropped one in where a guy stepped out of bounds while running his route. Your last point is a concern of mine too, though. Really, we just don't have a QB right now.

Tommy would have placed the ball in sean tuckers belly the same number of times but also hit a couple middle school out routes taboot. Would’ve won easily.
What would he have done on the plays where Shrader escaped pressure? He would've taken a sack, got us off schedule, and then thrown the ball out of bounds on third and long.

I have to smile while reading through this thread. We have a good, old-fashioned QB controversy on our hands. Unfortunately, in Year 6 of Dino's tenure (and with a bunch of QB bodies on the roster) we are having the metaphorical debate about who is the best Beatle: Ringo or Pete Best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom