So how does JB fix this? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So how does JB fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting hypothesis but then the example you use to support your theory is shooting?

Not spacing, not movement, not the heavy emphasis on iso or pick and sometimes roll?

So, it is the fact that the staff does not prepare them well enough to shoot better is the reason we are a middle of the pack ACC team?

As far as your last statement, I can point to a dozen examples of your statement and a dozen example of JB saying the exact opposite. That is classic JB gonna JB depending upon which statement suits his needs at the time...

I can tell you with 100% confidence that there is no fan out there, including yourself, that could say with a straight face that they remember the 1985-86, 1987-88, 1990-91 or the 2004-5 seasons more fondly than the 2016 season...
Nope. I’ve said many times previously that our offense is cruddy because of just what you listed: the system doesn’t rely enough on spacing and movement and passing. It’s too Iso-dependent. But in this post, I’m saying the reason why we were able to win despite all that was that we made shots.

As for JB saying various and contradictory things to ‘suit a mood,’ sure—I buy hat. But occasionally he tells the truth. Which part of that one do you disagree with and why? In my opinion, a team that finishes .500 in its league and struggles to win a single league tournament game over multiple years is exactly that, and an ncaa tournament run is a lovely, joyful aberration. Not the other way around.

Nope. I’ve said many times previously that our offense is cruddy because of just what you listed: the system doesn’t rely enough on spacing and movement and passing. It’s too Iso-dependent. But in this post, I’m saying the reason why we were able to win despite all that was that we made shots.

As for JB saying various and contradictory things to ‘suit a mood,’ sure—I buy hat. But occasionally he tells the truth. Which part of that one do you disagree with and why? In my opinion, a team that finishes .500 in its league and struggles to win a single league tournament game over multiple years is exactly that, and an ncaa tournament run is a lovely, joyful aberration. Not the other way around.

We are 4 games in. Some of you reaching conclusions after 4 games are a real treat. I shouldn’t be surprised though.

We are 4 games in. Some of you reaching conclusions after 4 games are a real treat. I shouldn’t be surprised though.
Well, for one thing, they’re not all “conclusions” of finality. We are discussing what we are seeing right now. Not sure why we should be able to talk about all the happy schtuff before these two losses, but shut up about what just happened and where we are right now. You jumped into a thread about How to Fix It, and expected what, exactly?
Secondly, you’re [not] new. What about this is different since the advent of the sports forum? Thirdly, why does it always seem to destroy your personal identity when people discuss matters that aren’t smileygoodtimesperrainbow? It’s sports. Take the good with the bad, because the bad makes the good feel so much better...

Last edited:
Well, for one thing, they’re not all “conclusions” of finality. We are discussing what we are seeing right now. Not sure why we should be able to talk about all the happy schtuff before these two losses, but shut up about what just happened and where we are right now. You jumped into a thread about How to Fix It, and expected what, exactly?
Secondly, you’re. It new. What about this is different since the advent of a sports forum? Thirdly, why does it always seem to destroy your personal identity when people discuss matters that aren’t smileygoodtimesperrainbow? It’s sports. Take the good with the bad, because the bad makes the good feel so much better...

Good to know I am new here.

I’m not all orange colored glasses either. We have real issues that I think will be figured out unlike others. I’m just not reaching conclusions after 4 games like some of you.

I’ve read your posts on both the sports and the OT Forum. You hyperventilate over everything.

This thread is official hijacked.

If posters want to start a JB needs to retire thread, a JB stinks thread, or we officially won’t get any better thread do that on your own. This was for posters to post their opinions on how we would become successful this year, but I should have known the basketball board couldn’t handle such a thread.

So tiresome the same posters are over and over. Go find the Syracuse.com comments section.

So, we've all weighed in on how to fix this in the short term. But the long term still concerns me.

The one thing I think needs to happen immediately for the long term is to STOP recruiting for the zone. I look at the case of Anthony Lamb, a junior currently playing at UVM. Here is a Rochester kid, who this week scored 24 against Kansas and 25 against Louisville. He's got an actual back to the basket (kind of old school) game, and can shoot the three as well. He's a BASKETBALL player, but he's only 6'6" so he doesn't fit the forward equation the zone requires. But he's also got a backside to him and won't get tossed around like others we currently have. We need more ballers.

Thanks to the ACC network I can watch the whole thing now and then get back to JB.
Don’t blame yourself. You have to work. You’re not Nelson Rockefeller.
I had such high Hope's for the big mega millions.:(

JB is a hall of fame coach, by far the greatest coach in any sport at SU and a legend. That said hes nearly 75 years old and great tourney runs every other year have masked what have been pretty average to mediocre regular seasons. Were all diehard SU fans but we've gotten in the tournament the last few times by the skin of our teeth and our offense last year and now this year has looked as bad as any JB team I can remember. Were starting to get into that weird area in a hall of fame's last few years where things slip ie Paterno, Bowden, Olsen etc. While this year will certainly have its moments I'm not sure some major turn around is coming.
6 weeks ago JB was harolded as being rejuvenated (been said since end of last season). Team is 9 deep. 4 or 5 shooters will open up the O. Now its "he's old, stale ready for the pasture". While I didn't like what I saw, I am going to see how this plays out.

Good to know I am new here.

I’m not all orange colored glasses either. We have real issues that I think will be figured out unlike others. I’m just not reaching conclusions after 4 games like some of you.

I’ve read your posts on both the sports and the OT Forum. You hyperventilate over everything.
Typo. That was supposed to say you’re NOT new here. Sorry.
As for “hyperventilating,” that comment just demonstrates that you overreact to forum rhetoric. People write to make a point. It’s argumentative. Your assumption of my emotional state when I write is inane. I’d suggest you’re more bothered than I am.

And why do you continue to assert that any of these thoughts are “conclusions?” Most of us believe much of this will be made better in the near future. Why would you assume that people engaged in a FIX thread have given up? Which of even the most negative posters are going to actually stop watching and caring? We’re all in it for the duration. Some of us take this harder than others. Not sure why you’re a better fan for getting hit less hard by it.

Last edited:
Typo. That was supposed to say you’re NOT new here. Sorry.
As for “hyperventilating,” that comment just demonstrates that you overreact to forum rhetoric. People write to make a point. It’s argumentative. Your assumption of my emotional state when I write is inane. I’d suggest you’re more bothered than I am.

And why do you continue to assert that any of these thoughts are “conclusions?” Most of us believe much of this will be made better in the near future. Why would you assume that people engaged in a FIX thread have given up? Which of even the most negative posters are going to actually stop watching and caring? We’re all in it for the duration. Some of us take this harder than others. Not sure why you’re a better fan for getting hit less hard by it.

I took it hard, but that wasn’t the point of the thread any you hijacked it. There’s 5 other threads complaining about JB. What’s done is done.

I took it hard, but that wasn’t the point of the thread any you hijacked it. There’s 5 other threads complaining about JB. What’s done is done.
I hijacked it? Me? By disagreeing with others’ assertions and detailing Why? If that’s “hijacking” then just Ignore me now and save yourself some grief. I discussed points made, I didn’t attack the people making them. And show me a direct criticism of JB. And if you find one tell us why it’s inaccurate.
“What’s done is done?” Seriously? Then why are you here?

I hijacked it? Me? By disagreeing with others’ assertions and detailing Why? If that’s “hijacking” then just Ignore me now and save yourself some grief. I discussed points made, I didn’t attack the people making them. And show me a direct criticism of JB. And if you find one tell us why it’s inaccurate.
“What’s done is done?” Seriously? Then why are you here?

If Starting tobring up previous bubble seasons isn’t hijacking a thread I don’t know what is.

wow! first post after being a member for 6 years
new computer. lol auto-set password on other nic name lost.
All aspects of this team and probably last 5+ years is tooooooooooo predictable for the me as a fan AND OBVIOUS TO EVeRY TEAM WE PLAY.

new computer. lol auto-set password on other nic name lost.
All aspects of this team and probably last 5+ years is tooooooooooo predictable for the me as a fan AND OBVIOUS TO EVeRY TEAM WE PLAY.
Gosh, that must be hard on you. I'm sorry.

If he figures out how to do that, let me know. I'm only 6 ft but really want to be 6'6 6'7. My dream is to dunk on a regulation rim before I die.

I'm going to be 40 in a couple month's, it's even more depressing when you were able to dunk with ease to knowing that you'll never be able to do it again.

If Starting tobring up previous bubble seasons isn’t hijacking a thread I don’t know what is.
Feel free to ignore the recent past if you like. But I have a feeling you like to rely on it when it’s convenient for the perspectives you like to spin.

good point... change is NOT going to happen
When the blood is orange, there is no choice.
No one seriously expects us not to get better. Even considering Battle alone. He has been missing shots he made the past two seasons. If he tinkered with his shot for the combine, maybe it just takes a bit of time to really get confidence in it. As he goes so go we.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom